Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
JMO If the Feds shut down the smoke shops I don't see how they could allow this and honestly I can't see to many addicts showing up, I don't think they will take the time to plan a trip to shoot up.
Since when did they shut down the "smoke shops?" We still have both "smoke shops" and cannabis clubs ALL over the city - was just at the latter yesterday, LOL. But I agree, it's doubtful that anyone will show up there... unless it's right in the Tenderloin or something, where they literally have to walk past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 11:47 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Do you honestly think that drugs are unavailable in prison?

Well that just goes to show our prison system is too tolerent. We are letting the inmates run the asylum.

If it was up to me there would be no drugs in prison. If a prisoner dared take drugs the punishment would be a lethal overdose of the drug they were caught taking.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq521 View Post
Actually, gizmo, JayF probably does know an addict or a junkie. Most everyone does. However, JayF also seems kind of narrow-minded and therefore, probably can't truly see the addict that he knows.

I mean, if he believes an addict is a corrupt soul, it will be lost on him that a friend or family member could be an addict.
I knew an addict when I was 12 years old. My mother was dating a heorin addict (my mom was way ahead of her time, this was back in the late 70s when most women still liked nice guys, not my mom she dated one bad boy drug addict/alcoholic/ex-con/married womanizer after another). Anyway this junkie stole our television set so he could get a fix. We didn't have a TV for a few months, but the good thing was we never saw this rotten druggie again.

Being around all the riff-raff my mother dated after she divorced and that incident with our TV being stolen had a profound impact on my life. I knew that I really disliked these types of guys, would not become like them, would not associate with anybody like them, and would favor the harshest laws against them. You could say that I have been true to my word because here it is almost 30 years latter and I still feel the same today.

I don't have friends who are addicts, I have several longtime friends and they are all good and decent. I don't buy into moral relativism. We are not all the same, there truly are good and bad people in this world. Nobody's perfect, but at the same time most of us do not shoot up IV drugs and most of us do not steal, rape, and murder.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq521 View Post
Actually, gizmo, JayF probably does know an addict or a junkie. Most everyone does. However, JayF also seems kind of narrow-minded and therefore, probably can't truly see the addict that he knows.

I mean, if he believes an addict is a corrupt soul, it will be lost on him that a friend or family member could be an addict.
I was just thinking about how you called me narrow minded. I would disagree. I hold some unpopular viewpoints, more passionate perhaps more extreme opinions, and different takes on things than others. Anybody like myself who has opinions outside of the mainstream,different from what the flock thinks, is by nature open minded.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAN FRANCISCO - City health officials took steps Thursday toward opening the nation's first legal safe-injection room, where addicts could shoot up heroin, cocaine and other drugs under the supervision of nurses.

Upgrade Browser
Nice not only is sanfran condoning drug use but they are also supporting it through tax dollars. ie they have become enablers...
I have a better idea. They chose to do drugs knowing full well addiction would follow. They have chosen to destroy their lives. LET THEM.
Call me cold but I have no sympathy for dopers. They absolutely deserve the life they chose and the ending that they have earned. My true disappointment is that the dealers don't meet an equally horrible end.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Nice not only is sanfran condoning drug use but they are also supporting it through tax dollars. ie they have become enablers...
I have a better idea. They chose to do drugs knowing full well addiction would follow. They have chosen to destroy their lives. LET THEM.
Call me cold but I have no sympathy for dopers. They absolutely deserve the life they chose and the ending that they have earned. My true disappointment is that the dealers don't meet an equally horrible end.
Do you have sympathy for the people they hurt & infect in the meantime? That's who I'm most concerned with, not the addicts themselves necessarily. And SF isn't "condoning" anything, and your comment is similar to when people say distributing condoms "condones" sex... no, it just keeps people safe if/when they do! Can you see the difference there?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:28 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
It's like when parents serve alcohol to teenagers because "it's better if they drink at home". Illegal, immoral, dangerous, unhealthy, noodle spined...no doubt it will be a hit in CA.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's like when parents serve alcohol to teenagers because "it's better if they drink at home". Illegal, immoral, dangerous, unhealthy, noodle spined...no doubt it will be a hit in CA.
Of course, because all Californians are immoral, and engage in illegal & dangerous activities on a daily basis - it's a real party out here!! Oy vey. Maybe we're just more logical and realistic about things, and concerned with people's safety (both users and those who are affected)... huh, what a concept.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do you have sympathy for the people they hurt & infect in the meantime? That's who I'm most concerned with, not the addicts themselves necessarily. And SF isn't "condoning" anything, and your comment is similar to when people say distributing condoms "condones" sex... no, it just keeps people safe if/when they do! Can you see the difference there?
Of course I do. This does not make supplying dopers with the tools required okay. It just gives them a state sponcered safe haven from punishment for their crimes. This is not comparable to distributing condoms at planned parenthood centers. Although if they are providing such things to minors they should be required to report this to the parents.
Fan fran is in fact condoning by becoming a willing partner. No different than allowing someone to use your car inspite of the fact you know it will be used to commit a crime. Using illegal drugs is a crime. So instead of using the crack house in the ghetto they get to use the state sponcered crack house. NICE...Its been done in other countries like sweden and holland and not with success. Let these drugies meet their fate. Let those who would associate with them meet theirs as well. Me I dont hang with criminals, nor dopers. I guess I am just a snob.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Of course I do. This does not make supplying dopers with the tools required okay. It just gives them a state sponcered safe haven from punishment for their crimes. This is not comparable to distributing condoms at planned parenthood centers. Although if they are providing such things to minors they should be required to report this to the parents.
Fan fran is in fact condoning by becoming a willing partner. No different than allowing someone to use your car inspite of the fact you know it will be used to commit a crime. Using illegal drugs is a crime. So instead of using the crack house in the ghetto they get to use the state sponcered crack house. NICE...Its been done in other countries like sweden and holland and not with success. Let these drugies meet their fate. Let those who would associate with them meet theirs as well. Me I dont hang with criminals, nor dopers. I guess I am just a snob.
Guess you are. But seriously, I've been to Holland, and their attitude toward sex and drugs is (IMO) much healthier than ours... and while I'd have to do research to be sure, I was told that they have fewer problems with IV-transmitted diseases and serious drug addiction. And I'm sorry, but I don't dwell on the "morality" of something when it is saving lives - call me crazy, but that's my realistic view! Regarding your comment about condom distribution, I think parental notification is a horrible idea. I got condoms anonymously from PP as a teen, as did most of my friends... and if the only option was to inform our parents in the process, I guarantee at least a few would've chosen unprotected sex instead. We've all been teenagers, and I personally remember how obstinate and illogical we could be! Even with my parents being open and "liberal" about this stuff, I would not have wanted them to know every time I got a condom. So I strongly disagree with that concept, since once again, I'm more concerned with keeping people safe and protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies