Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gun owners, would your register your firearms with the government?
I would never register my firearms regardless of a new law 91 71.09%
Of coarse I would register my firearms under a new law 26 20.31%
I'm not sure what I would do... 11 8.59%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,248,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You are of the opinion that there are no laws against straw purchasing of guns?
A straw purchase is when one person submits to a background check to purchase a gun from a dealer in the place of a third party who would not be able to pass a background check. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about giving or selling guns I already own to other people who are already gun owners AND who would easily pass any background check. I would never knowingly give, sell, or a lend a firearm to anyone who wouldn't pass a background check.

As for constitutional rights, society has to balance the pure allowance of those rights against the overall good of society. The First Ammendment guarantees the right to practice any religion and the right to free speech and peaceably assemble. But there are laws against human and animal sacrifices, which infringes on religion. Libel and Slander are crimes, but prosecuting either is infringing on pure free speech. Many places require a permit for peaceable assembly, and restrict the times and places for such. Should these be allowed? Should a religion which has human sacrifice as its primary tenet be allowed?
Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Some of you read this to mean that any infringement on any Arms is a violation of rights. That someone can be released from prison after serving a sentence for beating his wife to a pulp, go buy a loaded and combat-ready M1 Abrams down at the local flea market, and head over to the local drive-through beer joint for a fill-up before looking up his ex again. I'm really hoping that anyone who believes this is living on a mountain top in Idaho while surrounding the Feds.

And it's pseudoephedrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
A straw purchase is when one person submits to a background check to purchase a gun from a dealer in the place of a third party who would not be able to pass a background check. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about giving or selling guns I already own to other people who are already gun owners AND who would easily pass any background check. I would never knowingly give, sell, or a lend a firearm to anyone who wouldn't pass a background check.

As for constitutional rights, society has to balance the pure allowance of those rights against the overall good of society. The First Ammendment guarantees the right to practice any religion and the right to free speech and peaceably assemble. But there are laws against human and animal sacrifices, which infringes on religion. Libel and Slander are crimes, but prosecuting either is infringing on pure free speech. Many places require a permit for peaceable assembly, and restrict the times and places for such. Should these be allowed? Should a religion which has human sacrifice as its primary tenet be allowed?

Some of you read this to mean that any infringement on any Arms is a violation of rights. That someone can be released from prison after serving a sentence for beating his wife to a pulp, go buy a loaded and combat-ready M1 Abrams down at the local flea market, and head over to the local drive-through beer joint for a fill-up before looking up his ex again. I'm really hoping that anyone who believes this is living on a mountain top in Idaho while surrounding the Feds.

And it's pseudoephedrine.
The interesting thing is that any ban,restriction or decree would not stop the person described above. Now if the "battered wife" was armed, well that may just stop it. Or, she could just get an order of protection/restraining order. Yep, that'd do it.
Unfortunately it's not as simple nor cut and dried as the example you (or I for that matter) give. In a nation where it's becoming increasingly clear to many that the police can not protect you nor can they give you any reasonable hope of being there to save you AND knowing that many areas are just one disaster away from temporary anarchy with a government that's now shown on several occasions they're impotent at best people are getting nervous and taking things into their own hands.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
We say we are law abiding since we are not yet convicted felons. Convicted felons have guns too, but they have lost their rights to them in most cases.

I have expected to be a manufactured felon by the Govt for no other reason than I own guns. So while i am free to roam wild places I will always have gun felon or not.

It's too bad my own Govt would like to make me into what i am not, especially so when the tip of the Govt head is so corrupt as it IS. But I really don't care anymore.

Living behind the Soviet republics of Mass and NY, has rendered that so.... You see I attend shoots beyond those borders and it is still legal for me to pass thru these places armed to the teeth, but if i get caught there will be a huge legal battle I probably can't afford.

I don't really care about that either. I have even been jacked up in Mass in transit for the crime of wearing Buck Skins. and the officer detained me 45 minutes. My Max time, at which point I demand to be arrested or let go. Since I have done nothing wrong I tell the officer that if he chooses to arrest me I will sue the shirt off his back, and he will pay any fees for storing my horse, truck and trailer, plus pay for what ever is stolen or broken.

These Govt workers work for all of us and are not the Elite the liberals have made them out to be.

I just love it when a high paid welfare recipient wants to poke about in my private business too. The first thing he gets is Public Servant's Questionnaire Public LAW 93-579 in paper.
THE PUBLIC SERVANT QUESTIONNAIRE

So far not once after giving a public servant this paper has one ever come back filled out.

There is just something about this document public servants don't like. but hey I didn't make this law.... I am just happy it's there.

You are Free to give up all your Right's too, I don't care.

Just don't come looking for mine.
But my point Mac, is that it's either a right or it isn't. How can you lose your inalienable right? What if a convicted felon wrote a bad check, and has never done anything violent in their lives? For that matter, what if they have?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I don't understand why it's okay to regulate the ownership of guns for some and not others. It's either reasonable to do so or it's not. And how is anyone to know who's a felon and who isn't, as far as selling them a weapon without some kind of regulation?

I'm just having a hard time understanding why it's a right for some and not others, and how you can support there being a distinction - a right is a right is a right, is it not?

It's like having the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness - well I guess if you're on death row, there goes that right. So inalienable rights are meant to be regulated, no? I'm not a constitutional scholar, obviously, but I'm curious as to how you (general you) reconcile the seeming contradiction.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It's like having the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness - well I guess if you're on death row, there goes that right. So inalienable rights are meant to be regulated, no? I'm not a constitutional scholar, obviously, but I'm curious as to how you (general you) reconcile the seeming contradiction.
I, also, am not a constitutional scholar but it would seem to me that these inalienable rights would cease to be a persons when they act in a manner that denies these rights to others.

No contradiction.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
I, also, am not a constitutional scholar but it would seem to me that these inalienable rights would cease to be a persons when they act in a manner that denies these rights to others.

No contradiction.
Hmmm, interesting, thanks. I should correct myself here and note that I used the word "inalienable" instead of the proper word "unalienable".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies