Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

i dont need a smart person to save me from thugs, i just need an armed person with guts to save me from thugs.
u will use your smarts to save u not me.
i like good people with guns.
cars are much more dangerous than guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Evidently people love guns, and some think nothing about carrying loaded guns to gun shows where dozens of people can pick up and handle them. The only thing worse than this can be the flu that's going around and people can catch it just by handling something.

You are absolutely correct, there are some that think this, these would be the people that do the ignorant things that happened....what people like you focus on, and not the thousands of other guns that were handled that exact same day.

Quote:
Some people don't take gun safety seriously at all, I can tell by all the personal attacks, deflections and casual attitudes towards the handling of firearms in the thread.
Again, you're right but don't paint everyone who owns a gun like you have been doing and other people like yourself have been doing. People were harmed because of ignorance.

You are being attacked because people like me are tired of hearing non-sense, ignorant stats, knowingly false information, and the same thing over and over that we Pro-gun people get tired of hearing.

No worse than you thinking that we Pro-gun people are deflecting, because YOU keep talking the same crap over and over and over and over and over....

Edited to add below, my point is well proven by this posting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont need a smart person to save me from thugs, i just need an armed person with guts to save me from thugs.
u will use your smarts to save u not me.
i like good people with guns.
cars are much more dangerous than guns.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Evidently people love guns, and some think nothing about carrying loaded guns to gun shows where dozens of people can pick up and handle them. The only thing worse than this can be the flu that's going around and people can catch it just by handling something.

Some people don't take gun safety seriously at all, I can tell by all the personal attacks, deflections and casual attitudes towards the handling of firearms in the thread.
Any tool of sufficient power is going to be linked with death and injury of and by the careless and luckless. No doubt that when man invented the boat, the incidence of drownings skyrocketed. OTHO so did the provision of nutrition from fishing. Same thing with guns. Accidents occured, but so did the ability of the average Joe to protect himself from violence. Is it really that tough to understand?

Again where is the quote/link where anyone ever claimed that "guns are totally safe?" Everything I've ever read from pro-gun types underscores the inherent danger of guns. What other avocation has four rules of safety as basic text?

Let me guess you won't attack or deflect. You'll just ignore and decline to respond.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I for one seldom visit gun shows and when I do I have never carried a gun. I prefer to buy from a local shop and from people I know. That said to each their own. I never bought a car on line either.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM

198 posts, read 167,624 times
I would have to conclude that both Raleigh NC and Ohio Shooting "accidents" were planned events. Indiana was either sheer stupidity or another victim of a faulty firearm put in circulation by the gun control groups.

The guy in NC drove approximately 3 hours from Wilmington NC to Raleigh to sneak a loaded shotgun with a defective trigger/safety mechanism into a gun show hoping the firearm would discharge when some unsuspecting person handled the weapon. Unfortunately the weapon was going to be properly inspected upon entry into the gun show and discharged at the inspection table while still in the bearers possession.

Next you have to wonder why an elderly person would drive 3 hours to Raleigh to sell a firearm when he could have waited a month and sold it at the Feb. 16/17 gun show in Wilmington, his home town. I lived in NC and I never drove more than an hour to attend one of their many gun shows.

Last but not least, the anti-gun group responsible for this shooting achieved 2 goals in this weapons discharge event. 1) the gun show was halted and all patrons were evacuated from the building, 2) all private firearms sales were further prohibited for the remainder of the show.

Now for the Ohio shooting, someone managed to slip a loaded pistol into the gun show, bypassing the firearms inspection station or purposely loaded the firearm after inspection and entering the show. They then sold said weapon to an unsuspecting dealer in hopes to cause accidental discharge or injury as the dealer would have a reasonable expectation that a properly checked/inspected weapon at a gun show would be unloaded.

If the gun was not checked at the door it could only have been brought into the gun show by a law enforcement officer using their credentials to bypass the inspection station. And with the recent reports of the FBI's involvement with so called bomb plots I would not put it past them to in someway be involved with some or all of these incidents.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 PM

198 posts, read 167,624 times
For those of you who want to debate the dangers between guns and automobiles let me interject.

It is a proven statistical Fact that more people are killed or injured via automobiles than are via firearms.

Now the majority argument and debate between cars and guns involve the human element. So lets take the human element out for a minute and re-evaluate. Lets consider an unattended parked vehicle and an unattended firearm.

An unattended vehicle parked on an incline where the driver neglected to set the parking brake (aka; Safety), on the vehicle before leaving it. Sometime later the vehicle pops out of gear or the engine slips for manual transmission or the park paw and gear slips or breaks on an automatic transmission; sending an unattended out of control vehicle careening down a hill, possibly running over pedestrians walking on the sidewalk or crossing the street, or crashing into another occupied vehicle, or into a house or store front injuring some unsuspecting victim.

On the other hand an unattended loaded firearm, even with the safety off, is NOT likely in a million years to suddenly discharge and injure someone.

So as you can see, no matter how you look at a given situation vehicles will always be more dangerous than firearms either attended or unattended, regardless of human interaction.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM

Fine, guns are more dangerous than pedal cycling.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM

And dog bites.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
For those of you who want to debate the dangers between guns and automobiles let me interject.

It is a proven statistical Fact that more people are killed or injured via automobiles than are via firearms.

Now the majority argument and debate between cars and guns involve the human element. So lets take the human element out for a minute and re-evaluate. Lets consider an unattended parked vehicle and an unattended firearm.

An unattended vehicle parked on an incline where the driver neglected to set the parking brake (aka; Safety), on the vehicle before leaving it. Sometime later the vehicle pops out of gear or the engine slips for manual transmission or the park paw and gear slips or breaks on an automatic transmission; sending an unattended out of control vehicle careening down a hill, possibly running over pedestrians walking on the sidewalk or crossing the street, or crashing into another occupied vehicle, or into a house or store front injuring some unsuspecting victim.

On the other hand an unattended loaded firearm, even with the safety off, is NOT likely in a million years to suddenly discharge and injure someone.

So as you can see, no matter how you look at a given situation vehicles will always be more dangerous than firearms either attended or unattended, regardless of human interaction.
How many people will get get up tommorrow morning and fire their guns, not a good comparison. Most of the population uses cars on any given day, very small percentage will use their guns. We need cars to get to work, we do not need guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies