Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,001,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I haven't gotten a single person here to even acknowledge they've heard about Denise Rich giving up her US citizenship last year to save tens of millions in taxes. It's politically uncomfortable.
Because it's stupid. They ignore you. Who cares if you can point to anecdotal stories about whiney, cry baby, Billionaires that leave? That has NOTHING to do with the overall success of raising rates on the wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM

691 posts, read 772,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Typical right wingers. They worship the rich. When they do show sympathy, it's only for the rich.

It comes from believing that what you make, determines how good of a person you are. Sad.

What you EARN in life determines your actual VALUE to society.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,001,074 times
Again for the with poor reading comprehension.

Millionaires don't leave in any significant numbers. That' just a right wing fable. It comes from your knee jerk reaction to butt kiss rich elites. Likely some hard wired, primitive, survival instinct you have. Cause you sure don't have the balls to stick up for yourself....LOL

State Millionaire Taxes - Are They Driving Out the Millionaires?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
On tax issues? Maybe, on what iron to use on the 9th hole, but taxes? I don't think smacking a little white ball gives much weight to what someone thinks about taxes. Do novice/amateur golfers get their advice on tax laws from their local golf pro down at the country club? Oh, it's because he's got name-brand, isn't it? Yeah, I generally skip what the Krugman's of the world have to say about the economy, and go see what Tim Tebow thinks about this whole "cap and trade" fiasco.

Phill Mickelson owns a few BUSINESSES in California. He is more than just a "golfer". Actually his opinon on taxes is more credible than Barack Obama who never ran anything or ever signed the front of a check in his life.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM

25,863 posts, read 16,576,771 times
So we are supposed to care about Phil's whining why? He gets paid millions for playing the most stupid game ever invented. I would rather watch bowling.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Actually, right off the bat, I got compliments for my swing. I'm a natural athlete. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I've never known anyone else, in person or on TV, who can play as many sports as well as I. There are many who can play an individual sport better than I can, but if we then took another five sports, they'd look silly or uncoordinated in two or three of them and I would look natural.

No, I could be a good golfer i I gave it any of my time. I just don't like the hobby. It's a nice little hobby for white folks who have a lot discretionary spending at their disposal and who lack the discipline and drive to do demanding sports. If walking around the links is what you need to stay healthy, than do it. Me, I can find better ways to spend my time and money in getting healthy.

A "hobby" is something you do that is not your primary source of income. If Phil could declare his golf career as a "hobby" he would not have to pay ANY TAXES.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM

121 posts, read 199,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So we are supposed to care about Phil's whining why? He gets paid millions for playing the most stupid game ever invented. I would rather watch bowling.
What's stopping you?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Because it's stupid. They ignore you. Who cares if you can point to anecdotal stories about whiney, cry baby, Billionaires that leave? That has NOTHING to do with the overall success of raising rates on the wealthy.
Ah, closing loopholes has nothing to do with actually realizing the additional taxable income desired by increasing the rates?

You are trying to collect additional taxes from the most power, savy, mobile segment of US society with small armies of lawyers and tax experts and you think they don't have the ability to dodge intended tax increases?

Oh, and btw....I also mention Denise Rich because she bought her husbands tax evasion pardon for a couple million bucks. OR don't you remember that?

But no, let us not mention the ability of the very rich to be able to avoid the taxes and consequences that would have sent us to LEavenworth for a federal vacation of 3-5 years.

It's not just the lost money but the sense of unfairness and inequality which damaging to the US psyche.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:38 PM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Why don't you take a look at the studies done that showed in every case States that raised taxes on the ultra wealthy were able to raise revenues. In California's case the number of people that fell under this tax increased 38%. They don't leave in any significant numbers like your are hinting at. Not in California, not in New York. So run along, and cry about how mean the US is to millionaires that are thriving, while the rest of the country stagnates.
I'm complaining about the avoidance and evasion of taxes, not the increased tax rates.
In fact, despite your repeatedly obtuse posts missing my core points, I've said that CA did a nice job balancing their spending cuts with tax increases. DERP! However, there are very wealth individuals and of course companies that are avoiding these increases via all the loopholes....which should be closed.

Go forth and educate thyself on but one of the many tricks they use.
Double Irish arrangement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmmm, I supported tax increases....I condemned the loopholes....I pointed to people avoiding taxes.....and you complained and called me someone that cries for the millionaires and kisses thier butts. Are you just upset because Denise Rich paid off your god to pardon her billionaire husband of tax evasion?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,680,362 times
You're obviously not an English major. Hey how's that kindergarten degree working out for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies