Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

The armament of the schools is on. I'm sure the gunnuts will be thrilled.

Fontana School PD Purchases 14 AR-15 Assault Weapons To Protect Students
January 22, 2013 10:40 PM

FONTANA (CBSLA.com) — The Fontana Unified School District Police Department purchased 14 AR-15 assault weapons to protect students in response to recent shootings across the country, but the decision isn’t sitting well with some school leaders and citizens.

Superintendent Cali Olsen-Binks approved the acquisition of the rifles, which are being stored on campuses in locked safes for responding police officers in the event of an attack.

Fontana Police Chief Rodney Jones and Mayor Acquanetta Warren supported the idea.

“It’s unfortunate that we have to have that, but it’s the best message we can send to anybody that thinks to harm our children,” said Jones. “Because the message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed.”

Fontana School PD Purchases 14 AR-15 Assault Weapons To Protect Students « CBS Los Angeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

FONTANA (CBSLA.com) — The Fontana Unified School District Police Department purchased 14 AR-15 assault weapons to protect students in response to recent shootings across the country, but the decision isn’t sitting well with some school leaders and citizens.

Superintendent Cali Olsen-Binks approved the acquisition of the rifles, which are being stored on campuses in locked safes for responding police officers in the event of an attack.

Fontana Police Chief Rodney Jones and Mayor Acquanetta Warren supported the idea.

“It’s unfortunate that we have to have that, but it’s the best message we can send to anybody that thinks to harm our children,” said Jones. “Because the message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed.”

Fontana School PD Purchases 14 AR-15 Assault Weapons To Protect Students « CBS Los Angeles
But the AR-15 is not an assault weapon.

A lot of good it does to have a weapon locked in a locker when a siege begins. Everyone will be running for cover during an assault.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
It's good to see that there is some common sense in this country after all. Given the windbags in DC you'd never know it.

Looks like the NRA message is being accepted more readily than the crocodile tears from Obama. The way to stop a bad buy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:

Actually, the armament of schools is way overdue. This is the direction that should have been taken back in 1990, when the Gun Free Zone laws were erroneously passed in order to protect students. We now have a yearly average of double the school shootings compared to the 1970's and 1980's. I guess some would like to blame that on the prevalence of firearms, but statistics show that firearms ownership is actually lower now than it was in 1990.

Unfortunately this school isn't doing enough. Having the rifles in a locked safe isn't going to do a whole lot to stop a gunman. At least it's a step in the right direction, though.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Default armes at school

I suggest they train a few teachers and administrators to use the weapons and how to get to them in an emergency. Locked up guns in an emergency are no better than no guns at all. Better yet they should set up a firearms training and shooting course for the students as well as the teachers. It could be located in the sports department.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
But the AR-15 is not an assault weapon.

A lot of good it does to have a weapon locked in a locker when a siege begins. Everyone will be running for cover during an assault.
At Long Than in Vietnam in 1970 there was a ground attack by the Viet Cong on our base. The weapons had been locked up in a conex due to fragging that was common at that time. The seargant that had the key couldn't be located and the assault had to be repulsed purely by the M60 guys in the guard towers around the perimeter which they were fortunately able to do. We can really be very stupid sometimes.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
At Long Than in Vietnam in 1970 there was a ground attack by the Viet Cong on our base. The weapons had been locked up in a conex due to fragging that was common at that time. The seargant that had the key couldn't be located and the assault had to be repulsed purely by the M60 guys in the guard towers around the perimeter which they were fortunately able to do. We can really be very stupid sometimes.
It's like said, and GregW said, having firearms locked up is like having none at all.

I'm sort of against having firearms in schools anyways. It would be about the same if all the windows on schools were bricked up and doors fortified with bullet proof glass with bars over the glass, and fortified locks.

Instead of going through all of this trouble, why don't officials just purchase no longer used jails and penitentiaries and turn them into schools? It would keep the bad and mentally unstable out.

I really can't think of anything worse than a gunfight in a classroom setting with children trying to hide while bullets being sprayed everywhere by good and bad guys. I would think more people would be killed or injured.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
I still support bigger Gun Free Zone sign.

Kidding aside, I am thrilled because now they have some decent protection.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
It's like said, and GregW said, having firearms locked up is like having none at all.

I'm sort of against having firearms in schools anyways. It would be about the same if all the windows on schools were bricked up and doors fortified with bullet proof glass with bars over the glass, and fortified locks.

Instead of going through all of this trouble, why don't officials just purchase no longer used jails and penitentiaries and turn them into schools? It would keep the bad and mentally unstable out.

I really can't think of anything worse than a gunfight in a classroom setting with children trying to hide while bullets being sprayed everywhere by good and bad guys. I would think more people would be killed or injured.
I can. What's worse is the current situation, which gives a nutjob with a gun the chance to do maximum amounts of violence with zero effective resistance. Do I want my children to have to experience a gun fight? Not in the slightest. But if having that gun fight gives someone the ability to either a) stop the shooter before he finishes his rampage or b) distract that shooter enough so that he can't actively target children, thereby giving my child a much better chance of surviving the incident, I'll take the gun fight scenario any day of the week.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:

FONTANA (CBSLA.com) — The Fontana Unified School District Police Department purchased.....
A school district has its own POLICE DEPARTMENT???

Do they also do roadbuilding, zoning, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies