Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If the standards stay the same, and they can do the job, there's no legitimate reason to keep women who want to go into combat from going.
The standards are not the same. Women in the military are not expected to meet the same physical requirements as men for the same MOS. That not only puts the lives of women at greater risk, it also puts the lives of those who serve with those women at greater risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
As long as they can do the job, they should be allowed to serve. Yes, military culture will have to change a bit, but I'm sure they can handle it. They're been able to adjust to Jews, blacks, and gays, so surely they can manage to accept a few woman in combat.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
As already explained, military and making up your own mind don't go together. The military decides what's best for you, what role you will have and how you will serve your country.
Right, and they've decided women, as long as they qualify, can make up their own minds.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Young ladies?
Don't you mean WOMEN?

We really don't need, nor do most of us want, your "protection".
See, we know that some men can rape us, beat us up, etc.
Your protection can hurt us.
We're really quite capable of caring for ourselves.

Guess what: we are also fully capable of making our own decisions about our lives.
That obviously is not true, or women would not need Affirmative Action. Democrats have already made the determination that women and minorities are incapable of taking care of themselves without government intervention. That was their reason behind Affirmative Action.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Actually ANYONE in combat is a bad idea.
This is true, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

420 posts, read 335,058 times
Nudity and strange odors. So, in other words, just like a hospital.

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Have all that are for women in combat been in combat yourselves?

Do any of you remember when the iraq war forst started and the there a young female captured? I forget her name.

I don't think we want our women subjected to treatment like that.

I am personally against it but, I am willing to let it happen only to prove that it shouldn't be. Just remember when a women IS captured and is repeatedly raped, tortured and murdered, it is on your heads
And you don't think that your 18 year old son wouldn't potentially be raped, tortured and murdered if he was captured too? I don't think a good chunk of people here know a lot about what happens in the real world...

I'm not saying that women should be forced to serve in combat. I would never have had the "stuff" to do it personally (and I was raised in a generation that had to fight just to have girls sports--it was a different time), but that doesn't mean that other women don't. If they can pass the physical requirements and they want to do it, then I don't think it's right to stop them.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Right, and they've decided women, as long as they qualify, can make up their own minds.
No they didn't even decide that. They decided that they have the ability to put women into combat situations upon further evaluation.

No one makes up their mind in the military. It's almost funny sometimes having these conversations. Girl Pride doesn't belong in this conversation.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Not all women are delicate shrinking flowers that blush at the though of having to poo in public.

I know several men that would have a hard time doing it - but don't you think if you're in I dunno, a war zone - that you'd have a slightly different perspective on life and it's immodest moments?

Where do you guys get this idea? Who do you think wiped your butt when you were a kid?

It's not 1887, for Heaven's sake.
And they've obviously they've never HAD a baby. All modesty kind of flies out the window at that point, when you've got a room full of people in there with you...

Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I think part of the issue is that some women are already in a combat situation due to their jobs. The problem is how to give them combat pay.

If everybody has to pass the same test and have the same skills, why not?

I do have a problem with putting the parents of small children in life threatening situations. My daughter had a pre schooler in her class whose mom and dad were both in Iraq. The child was with grandparents. My daughter predicted that kid would be a mess forever.
That is the clincher. Women do not have to pass the same tests or have the same skills. In the Marine Corps women only have to meet half the physical requirements men must meet. To allow women into a combat MOS and only require them to meet half the requirements men must meet is reckless and endangers not only the women, but also anyone else around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies