Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,500,258 times

Advertisements

Actually ANYONE in combat is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM

13,610 posts, read 10,024,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You should have a vested interest.....however, you have nothing to comapre it with in real life, hell, we have a roadie on here tyring to tell us that being a roadie is the same thing as being on the front lines.
Look at it like this, you drive a car/truck/automobile, right.....some type of auto.....

Do you really think you can tell a professional race car driver how they should drive?
I think it's hilarious that you badger others about their reading comprehension.

Point out anywhere, anywhere at all where I said my proffession was "the same thing as being on the front lines".

The excuses for keeping women out of your men's small penis club are the same, I don't care what profession it is.

And, you have no right to decide what it's going to be like for women on the front lines, using your own logic, as that is something you will never be.

Your old hack ways of thinking are over. Sorry.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,170,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If the standards stay the same, and they can do the job, there's no legitimate reason to keep women who want to go into combat from going.
Let's suppose for a second your life is depending on the speed and efficiency of the people firing this weapon. If you had a choice between a crew of randomly selected women or men could anyone honestly say they would choose the women?

Taliban dying! Artillery fire in Afghanistan (Pech river Valley) - YouTube

marine corps field artillery at its best - YouTube

3 rounds in 20 seconds - YouTube

Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM

47,035 posts, read 26,122,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let's suppose for a second your life is depending on the speed and efficiency of the people firing this weapon. If you had a choice between a crew of randomly selected women or men could anyone honestly say they would choose the women?
I had no idea artillerymen were randomly selected. Sounds a tad inefficient. Wouldn't it be smarter to seek out those who had the desire and aptitude?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,314,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I totally agree it would cause a break down in morale...especially if two soldiers became close and one was killed during combat
Can't two male soldiers become close?
What if one of them gets killed in combat?

I guess having men in combat is an Extremely Bad Idea!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
No, I mean young ladies, like 17 years of age, akin to young men who register for the draft.

So again, do young ladies have to register for selective service?
They should. I'm all for females being in combat and being put on the front line.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,770,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I totally agree it would cause a break down in morale...especially if two soldiers became close and one was killed during combat

Women in combat: "A bad idea," says former SEAL -- chicagotribune.com
Someone posted an article about defecating inside an APC. I don't see how a woman could bring herself to defecate inside an APC full of male servicemen. It is just one example of many awkward situations that will arise.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-25-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM

8,652 posts, read 9,169,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
They should. I'm all for females being in combat and being put on the front line.
Well, it seems at the moment females do not have to register. However, there is a flip-side to this issue. If females where required to register, a draft and or a major war may not happen so quickly. Otherwise the federal government would have to force females into combat.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Actually ANYONE in combat is a bad idea.
I like your thinking ! In an ideal world nobody should ever be put ( or put themselves) in that position.

However for me the issue is one of equality. A woman who can reach whatever physical and psychological levels of endurance, physical strength and ability should have the right to fight on the front line if she so wishes.

As long as She meets exactly the same standards ( not standards which have been modified for Her gender as is often the case), if she can carry the gear the same as a man, shoot like a man, endure what a man does, strategise like a man and live in a still very male environment then surely the only thing to do is allow that woman to fight alongside her comrades. And I believe it will be small numbers who will achieve this, but achieve this some women will...

As long as there is no "positive" discrimination and she is not granted special rights I don't see what else is fair to be honest.

I do think there will for a long time still be a stigma attached to women on the front line of infantry because we are as a sex generally not physically as strong ( though resilience wise I would argue many women could beat many men under the table) and also because some men do have an innate sense of "protectiveness" when it comes to women which could lead to jeopardising some operations.

But if men can be taught to kill, resist under torture both mental and physical then this moral ***** can also be redessed if it has to...

But you simply cannot deny a woman who is the equal of her comrades the same rights. If she reaches the standards the armed forces set then she is qualified to joint the ranks of her peers.

We have fought for equal rights and anything else would be a sham.

Quite a few countries have women in front line infantry combat including Canada I think where women have been engaged in combat in Afghanistan.

People always mention how the public would feel if a female soldier is captured. Well they should feel exactly the same as they would for another soldier. She chose to fight in combat, knew the risk and has to take the consequences.

Rape would be quite likely in a kidnapping I suspect but then again I am told Male soldiers are already raping their own female comrades on a huge scale... With friends like those who needs Al Qaeda Enemies ?!

Perhaps it is time to change the male attitude to women in the Army. If you prove yourself as capable you are just another soldier and deserve respect not sexual assault and rape...

Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM

24,057 posts, read 15,174,810 times
I think part of the issue is that some women are already in a combat situation due to their jobs. The problem is how to give them combat pay.

If everybody has to pass the same test and have the same skills, why not?

I do have a problem with putting the parents of small children in life threatening situations. My daughter had a pre schooler in her class whose mom and dad were both in Iraq. The child was with grandparents. My daughter predicted that kid would be a mess forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies