Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,953,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If the US were in danger of annihilation, (as Israel has been for its' entire existence) then everyone would certainly be expected to fight, but it isn't.
There are plenty of countries on the verge of annihilation and that are a LOT closer to actual extinction than Israel is, that do not allow their women to fight or even all their men for that matter. Specialization in insects is one thing, specialization in primates is one of the hallmarks of human civilization. It sets us above (slightly) the gorillas in the jungle. Certainly though, our primate models have at least acknowledged that male and female are important distinctions. When humans start going against basic primate hardwiring the end is hard to see. It could lead to some wondrous Epiphany concerning our ultimate destiny or it could not. The evidence thus far is not encouraging as for the various other social experiments of the 20th and 21st Centuries in America. Our placements in international rankings are abysmal, and continue to fall with every bold step we take towards redefining what it means to be a human being in America.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,124,509 times
Quote:
did you need more money?
I wish I was getting paid...

Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,303,322 times
I wouldnt worry about it. Women already perform in combat duty (there is next to no traditional battles fought with an advancing infantry)....and the Israelis already have women ready to go to war on a moment's notice.

Women in Uniform - Esquire

And who cares what a SEAL thinks? It is unlikely that a woman will make it into the SEALs but she should be offorded the opportunity to try, and advance.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,220,046 times
If the standards stay the same, and they can do the job, there's no legitimate reason to keep women who want to go into combat from going.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM

8,646 posts, read 9,161,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If the standards stay the same, and they can do the job, there's no legitimate reason to keep women who want to go into combat from going.
Women and children should be protected from battle, not thrown into it. Its unethical and immoral. Bad enough males see the horror of combat, so lets now throw wives, mothers, sisters into it? There are several intangibles not even broached.

Do young ladies now have to register for selective service?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,067,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But I do find your comparison of prisoners to soldiers a bit disturbing, especially seeing as they have completely different purposes in our society.
The point was to test the limits you're prepared to ignore the differences between men and women. Not to compare prisoners to soldiers. But in reality, the military institution is wholly unique to any civilian institution . You mentioned in some other post about "freedom." Like if a woman wants, she is free to fight alongside men. Well, there is no freedom in the military. You give your body to your country. Some people are drafted unwillingly. If you drop your rifle and desert, you can be executed. There is no room in the military for people doing what they want to do, be they men or women. If women are to serve alongside men, it's because the powers above determined it was a good idea, I'm saying it's a terrible idea. In very much that sense, the closest institution to military life is prison life. In both cases the government owns your body.

As an aside, I come from Chechnya and women did participate in the resistance there. The situation was so desperate that many widowers, who lost their children and husbands, would even sometimes strap bombs to their bodies and greet Russian soldiers. Some would lure sex-hungry Russian soldiers back only to slit their throats. And some picked up weapons and defended the house as best as they could. But we never fought alongside and the situation was far from perfect. Women weren't fighting because they wanted to be equal, they were fighting because we were all drowning. Besides women, children picked up guns and fought. Kids less than 12.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,321,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Women and children should be protected from battle, not thrown into it. Its unethical and immoral. Bad enough males see the horror of combat, so lets now throw wives, mothers, sisters into it? There are several intangibles not even broached.

Do young ladies now have to register for selective service?
Young ladies?
Don't you mean WOMEN?

We really don't need, nor do most of us want, your "protection".
See, we know that some men can rape us, beat us up, etc.
Your protection can hurt us.
We're really quite capable of caring for ourselves.

Guess what: we are also fully capable of making our own decisions about our lives.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,067,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Men and women can't work as a team without wanting to screw each other? News to me! If men are really that weak (when it comes to their sexual urges), they probably aren't fit for service anyway. And why is it okay to punish the women for this lack of control? I didn't realize we needed to coddle men, particularly since I've never had a problem working in a coed workplace... if the men I've worked with wanted me sexually, at least they were mature enough to control that & focus on their jobs. Are soldiers unable to do the same?
Civilian life is so wholly incomparable to military I can't believe an intelligent woman like yourself would make this comparison. In case it needs to be spelled out, in civilian that same guy is not limited to just you or maybe one other woman, he has lots of choices outside of work to distract himself. It's different when it's day in and day out, these are the women you see and the only women you see. These are the women you see naked, these are the women you smell. You may not be sure if you will survive to make it to see civilian life and other women again. When a man learns how little his life is valued, in the grand scheme of things, he can do just about anything. Rape is down on the list of moral failures people commit in such situations.

If a woman wants to serve her country, in almost all cases, she's best serving at home, having children and raising children.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 AM

8,646 posts, read 9,161,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Young ladies?
Don't you mean WOMEN?

We really don't need, nor do most of us want, your "protection".
See, we know that some men can rape us, beat us up, etc.
Your protection can hurt us.
We're really quite capable of caring for ourselves.

Guess what: we are also fully capable of intangibles.
No, I mean young ladies, like 17 years of age, akin to young men who register for the draft.

So again, do young ladies have to register for selective service?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 AM

361 posts, read 273,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
What military/combat action did you see? Was it anything compared to Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan? You were on a vacation.

Women in the Israel Defense Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GAZA, hevron, schem, trust me not even close to a vacation. I already explained woman do not serve in front line infantry units. There are combat roles that they serve in, and do a great job. Integrating infantry is a bad idea and theres no reason to do it. Nothing can be gained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies