Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Part of it is the recent trend in the NFL towards building offensive focused teams. Black coaches are far more likely to rise through the ranks on the defensive side. For some reason black offensive coaches (generally rb and wr coaches... rarely qb or oline coahes) have a hard time rising up to OC positions. Again, I think this has to do with the fact that thanks to the NFL rules protecting the QB's, teams are now moving towards heavy passing attack offenses... with the two most important positions being QB and Oline, predominately led by white coaches.

So while I don't think this is some racist conspiracy to not hire black head coaches, (has more to do with the shift in playing style in the NFL) I do think it couldn't hurt to look at reasons why black offensive assistant coaches have a hard time moving up the ladder to OC and HC positions.
No, this is too logical. It's much more believable to draw conspiracy parallels rather than to analyze the situation for what it really is.

OMG, 8 white guys got hired. Let's intentionally look for any racial parallels and write an article about it. (Sound like Sandy Hook, anyone?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Yeah...Jason Garrett and Rex Ryan are easily the most qualified coaches for their jobs. LMAO...
There is no such thing as "most qualified" when it comes down to these coaching jobs. You hire based on gut feeling. How can you know that Jim Harbaugh is a better coach than Mike Singletary? Answer: you don't. You simply roll the dice and see what happens. Belichick is a so called genius now, but was a dud in Cleveland.

There are so many factors that "qualifications" is a useless term relative to coaching.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...Jason Garrett and Rex Ryan are easily the most qualified coaches for their jobs. LMAO...
There is no such thing as "most qualified" when it comes down to these coaching jobs. You hire based on gut feeling. How can you know that Jim Harbaugh is a better coach than Mike Singletary? Answer: you don't. You simply roll the dice and see what happens. Belichick is a so called genius now, but was a dud in Cleveland.

There are so many factors that "qualifications" is a useless term relative to coaching.

Part of the reason Belichick was a dud in Cleveland was ownership. Personally, as a Browns fan I always liked the guy. It's too bad Modell moved the team before Belichick could see his plan through.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,174,426 times
I wonder how many people are pissed about the ratio of white to black players in the NFL and NBA...

Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,898 times
Don't know about the NFL, but my University, Texas A&M, made an awesome hire in Kevin Sumlin, who is African American.... big thumbs up

There are some hidden gems out there that NFL teams should give a chance to, instead of recycling some of the same old like Gailey, Norv Turner etc.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

That is my point exactly. This isn't a race issue, and just because some white guy didn't have success in one franchise, doesn't mean they aren't a better fit in another, which would underscore the absurdity of the race allegations.

I mean, come on, people. These are billion dollar corporations. They are interested in MONEY, nothing less and nothing more. They are going to hire whomever they feel will accomplish their revenue/success goals, regardless.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Part of the reason Belichick was a dud in Cleveland was ownership. Personally, as a Browns fan I always liked the guy. It's too bad Modell moved the team before Belichick could see his plan through.
Absolutely.

And thats my point. It's all about time and place, not any real qualifications. Tony Dungy gets fired from Tampa because they can't get over the hump. They bring in Gruden, and he wins a Superbowl immediately...with mostly the same players.

Dungy goes to Indianapolis and wins a Superbowl with a team that Jim Mora can't get over the hump with. So is Dungy a better coach than Jim Mora, or Is Gruden a better coach than Dungy? I doubt it. You can't really draw any conclusions because its all time, place, and personnel.

Again..."qualifications" is an overrated and overused term relative to coach hires in the NFL.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Don't know about the NFL, but my University, Texas A&M, made an awesome hire in Kevin Sumlin, who is African American.... big thumbs up

There are some hidden gems out there that NFL teams should give a chance to, instead of recycling some of the same old like Gailey, Norv Turner etc.

Funny you mentioned Norv, as he is now the new offensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. I think as a head coach he was horrible, and I've always said if you want to destroy your team or doom it to mediocrity then hire Norv as your head coach. As an offensive coordinator, I think he does an outstanding job, and I am excited and optimistic about him being in Cleveland, and cannot wait to see the new scheme! Anything is better than what we saw here with Pat Shurmer and his BS 3 yard pass plays on 3rd and long, or mismanagement of the game clock!

Same with Mike Holmgren. Great coach. Horrible GM, and team president.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
It's the ****ing NFL for crying out loud!! The most qualified candidates will ALWAYS be offered the contracts, regardless of race or even if they have a potato for a god damn head!
Do you have any real reason to believe this? This past hiring season (January) tells me that you are very much wrong.

Quote:
I'm so sick of this country and its racial crap.
You don't have to live here.

Quote:
That writer, in my opinion, can go f himself for perpetuating this crap. Race baiting is not responsible journalism.
Pointing out the truth is "race baiting?" You can't tell me that there were not many coaches, i.e. Lovie Smith, who weren't qualified to get hired? Smit went 10-6 and was fired, and didn't get a job, while Andy Reid went 4-12 and was scooped up immediately. Nothing more than the old boy network.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM

361 posts, read 273,085 times
There are definetly not enough black men in professional sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies