Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But the article actually describes a very good solution --- what they call "co-housing", a community of people who live in separate but nearby accommodations and intentionally agree to form a supportive community, and share community meals and activities occasionally. I know there's a similar thing in the U.S. --- but I forget what it's called right now. I think it's a very good idea for people who don't have a lot of family around.
Who knew a hippie commune would be the solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I'm not sure that's true about Scandinavia ... any stats on hand? I will say that my Danish side is pretty good about staying in touch with their elderly, but the problem is that there are too few of them living in close enough proximity to make a big difference.

You have a good point about American culture being "dog eat dog and anti-family", and it isn't only "progressivism" that's to blame. The ethic of personal autonomy and radical individualism on the "right" is a big part of the problem. When combined with the Left's anti-life and anti-family ideology, the result is toxic.
Life is apparently toxic to those who see only bad wherever they look.

Abraham Lincoln's observation still holds true: "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be"

Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times
I hate individualism, and I am not an individualistic person. I just started to drive in May and got my license in July. It's a lot of work and drama to bring my car up to college, especially when I have no real need for it. But getting a ride from someone is a real convenience, and that's why I am rushing to get myself ready to bring my car up to college in August 2013 - because, after all, there are those that need rides that I could offer them.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
The USA is NOT a Anglo Saxon country, just have a look at the numbers of Germans who went there.
What do you imagine the 'Saxon' part of Anglo-Saxon implies... ...

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I hate individualism, and I am not an individualistic person. I just started to drive in May and got my license in July. It's a lot of work and drama to bring my car up to college, especially when I have no real need for it. But getting a ride from someone is a real convenience, and that's why I am rushing to get myself ready to bring my car up to college in August 2013 - because, after all, there are those that need rides that I could offer them.
Just make sure you can really drive the thing... drive it confidently and well, before you take on the responsibility for others' lives.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 AM

78,442 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But the article actually describes a very good solution --- what they call "co-housing", a community of people who live in separate but nearby accommodations and intentionally agree to form a supportive community, and share community meals and activities occasionally. I know there's a similar thing in the U.S. --- but I forget what it's called right now. I think it's a very good idea for people who don't have a lot of family around.
They have an entire network of those set up less than a mile from my house. They range from independent living like an apt. setting and then graduate all the way up through full scale nursing home type arrangements.

They just move you through them as your needs change and you don't have to "move" and lose your circle of friends etc.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Well it starts out nice but being the person with the car... well, you will be real popular (while you have the car) and you better have a lot of money for gas.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
The USA is NOT a Anglo Saxon country, just have a look at the numbers of Germans who went there.

Germany has two lander or states called Upper and Lower Saxony and the Angles are Danish so the English have a healthy slice of Germanic culture and Language . A lot of English (me included) have genetic markers common to Germans and Scandinavians!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:37 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You have a good point about American culture being "dog eat dog and anti-family", and it isn't only "progressivism" that's to blame. The ethic of personal autonomy and radical individualism on the "right" is a big part of the problem. When combined with the Left's anti-life and anti-family ideology, the result is toxic.
I'm not sure what everyone means by "individualism". Of course we're all individuals who have a right to be ourselves. That's why some of us need to separate from family, to find out who we are and what we want. It might be something very different from what our family wants for us.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Just make sure you can really drive the thing... drive it confidently and well, before you take on the responsibility for others' lives.
I will have 13 months' experience behind the wheel before I bring it up, and I have never had a crash. I have driven people around before (probably 15+ people have been in my car already). I want to make sure I offer a safe transportation option for people. If you need a ride, come to me, but if you're in such a hurry I need to go twice the speed limit, you're going to be late. I drive very safely, passed my driving tests with flying colors, and drive a car with nearly perfect crash test ratings. Whoever rides with me has airbags all around them in case an idiot plows into us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies