Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:13 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

If the GOP were to take up the fight of reducing abortions instead of making them illegal, would that be a popular platform, if said reduction involved education, contraceptive use, encouraging males to be good fathers and stick with the mom and support the child (which I believe is the leading cause of abortion), etc.?

So the GOP platform would be: Abortion is bad, but we accept it as the law of the land which will never be overturned. Therefore, instead of demonizing women and even the doctors, we would like to seek voluntary efforts at a local and state level and work with people to reduce abortion. Contraceptives and education would be priority #1 of course to prevent pregnancy from happening in the first place.

For those concerned that it would prevent a welfare problem with more little ones running around, I feel like a lot of the true welfare queens are the ones who go through the pregnancies regardless because they get more $$$$ plus usually have other issues.

This is really all about providing whatever support possible to hopefully encourage women to not abort: aka it would still be a woman's choice, but she would actuall ahve more choices.

A scenario would be as follows:

Pregnant woman: "I'm pregnant, but I can't support a child. I could just have an abortion and get this over with, but I don't want to do it."

New Platform: "We have a network in place that can help you. We would like to provide counseling for you. We can provide free health care during pregnancy and post birth. We also have a family that cannot have children who would be overjoyed with your little one and adopt if you still conclude that you cannot care for the child.

It would involve government programs and activism, but I'm willing to set aside ideology to save lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 04:51 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
As somebody put it: There's no abortion problem. There's an unwanted pregnancy problem and an abortion symptom. Good, comprehensive sex ed and easy access to contraception cuts down on abortions more than any 10 legislative efforts to somehow make abortion access harder or more unpleasant or more shameful.

It means that the sane elements in the GOP must be willing and able to make the ****-shamers shut up, though.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So the GOP platform would be: Abortion is bad, but we accept it as the law of the land
which will never be overturned. Therefore...
...therefore we'll just go off for a walk in the woods and leave you all alone.
Sorry for all the bother all this time and we'll get right on re-establishing all the funding
we've hindered so much."

OK; that'll work
---

Safe... Legal... Rare... Prompt... Free

Rare by means of far better education and use of contraception than we have today.
Aside from the million conceptions lamented so thoroughly in this thread...
there are probably another million similarly ill considered conceptions to be avoided... that aren't.

Prompt because once the diligent, educated try to avoid conception line has been crossed...
and the choice to exercise the right has been made... NO ONE gains from delay.

Free because dealing with the costs are the single largest hindrance to prompt...
(and it's the best use of public funds if/when even available HI won't pay)

The right to make the choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
If the GOP were to take up the fight of reducing abortions instead of making them illegal, would that be a popular platform, if said reduction involved education, contraceptive use, encouraging males to be good fathers and stick with the mom and support the child (which I believe is the leading cause of abortion), etc.?

So the GOP platform would be: Abortion is bad, but we accept it as the law of the land which will never be overturned. Therefore, instead of demonizing women and even the doctors, we would like to seek voluntary efforts at a local and state level and work with people to reduce abortion. Contraceptives and education would be priority #1 of course to prevent pregnancy from happening in the first place.

For those concerned that it would prevent a welfare problem with more little ones running around, I feel like a lot of the true welfare queens are the ones who go through the pregnancies regardless because they get more $$$$ plus usually have other issues.

This is really all about providing whatever support possible to hopefully encourage women to not abort: aka it would still be a woman's choice, but she would actuall ahve more choices.

A scenario would be as follows:

Pregnant woman: "I'm pregnant, but I can't support a child. I could just have an abortion and get this over with, but I don't want to do it."

New Platform: "We have a network in place that can help you. We would like to provide counseling for you. We can provide free health care during pregnancy and post birth. We also have a family that cannot have children who would be overjoyed with your little one and adopt if you still conclude that you cannot care for the child.

It would involve government programs and activism, but I'm willing to set aside ideology to save lives.

But there is no family waiting especially for special needs kids. Not all women who don't want their kids have abortions. And these kids are placed into foster care waiting to be adopted. Some go from home to home before they are adopted. And some never are and live their whole life in foster care. Where's that loving home for them that all children deserve. According to the adopt america network there are 130,000 kids in foster care waiting to be adopted. They have profiles of some of these kids trying everything to find them a loving home. Why not find these kids a home before bringing more unwanted kids into this world.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
it's seems odd to me that many right-wingers bash single mothers, yet at the same time campaign for banning of abortion.

can't have it both ways methinks....

Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
OP, that would be a wise move. Now I'd combine it with a requirement that any patient at any clinic be explicitly reminded of her right to opt for abortion as well, but a discussion of all options available providing the resources for every option via our taxes,is perfectly reasonable.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM

would all the anti-abortionists be prepared to adopt, or pay an extra 2% income tax to support all the un-aborted babies?

if no , then that = hypocrisy

Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
so basically, you want them to copy the Democratic Party's platform.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
so basically, you want them to copy the Democratic Party's platform.
That was Clinton's platform in the 1990s if I remember correctly. Safe, legal, rare

Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM

so if God doesn't make babies, then what is the problem with abortion anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies