Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How is desiring English to be made our offical language a nativist stance? I am so sick of unwarrented labels and insults like this I could just vomit.

English has always been our national de facto language, not Spanish! I guess you aren't aware that Calfornia's official language is English?

English deserves its rightful place as our official language as it has been a dominant part of our culture and language since our founding. By making English our official language on the federal level we will not longer have to print documents in not only Spanish numerous other languages also. That would be a huge tax savings. Immigrants and citizens alike will be encouraged to assimilate to our national language also.

We dont have to do it now, which is probably the point of the OP. making it the official language changes nothing.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
We dont have to do it now, which is probably the point of the OP. making it the official language changes nothing.
I guess you haven't read the posts including mine that lists the positive changes with making English our official language? If it changes nothing in your eyes than why the objection to it?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I guess you haven't read the posts including mine that lists the positive changes with making English our official language? If it changes nothing in your eyes than why the objection to it?
The same reason you have an objection to many gun reform laws, you claim they will never do anything to curve gun violence. yours are however opinions, mine is fact.

We currently have no laws saying the federal government has to produce documents, websites and so on in other languages yet they do it voluntarily. So the argument that it would lower cost is untrue. Thats the only thing you listed in the comment i saw.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The same reason you have an objection to many gun reform laws, you claim they will never do anything to curve gun violence. yours are however opinions, mine is fact.

We currently have no laws saying the federal government has to produce documents, websites and so on in other languages yet they do it voluntarily. So the argument that it would lower cost is untrue. Thats the only thing you listed in the comment i saw.
I haven't even commented on any gun laws so where are you getting this from? Stay on topic, will you?

From wikepedia:

"The United States does not have a national official language; nevertheless, English (specifically American English) is the primary language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements; although there are laws requiring documents such as ballots to be printed in multiple languages when there are large numbers of non-English speakers in an area".

So yes, there is a law where at times documents in multiple languages is required by law and isn't voluntary. I have read that it goes into the billions of dollars in costs.

Aside from that why would you object to making our defacto national language of English "official" since it is a part of heritage and identifying culture?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
And of course you have a mini-cam and can see what the posters are wearing and most of all have esp to know that they are thinking, right? Every person you have implied is a racist in here has said nothing to you to pull that race card out of your wallet.
I don't need to have a mini-cam. What they're wearing is implicit in what they're saying.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
How is desiring English to be made our offical language a nativist stance? I am so sick of unwarrented labels and insults like this I could just vomit.

English has always been our national de facto language, not Spanish! I guess you aren't aware that Calfornia's official language is English?

English deserves its rightful place as our official language as it has been a dominant part of our culture and language since our founding. By making English our official language on the federal level we will not longer have to print documents in not only Spanish numerous other languages also. That would be a huge tax savings. Immigrants and citizens alike will be encouraged to assimilate to our national language also.
Well if you live in California and English is already the official language then what are you moaning about...you're not a professional moaner are you? I suppose the first amendment doesn't matter either.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You'd save a pittance. Why aren't you trying to hold back costs in areas that we're spending a mint instead? Or is this little issue just more explosive because it involves racism, and you therefore like it more?
You ain't talking about Spanish I bet. Spain is mostly "white". Sheesh!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Guess it would just make some people feel better...

Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You ain't talking about Spanish I bet. Spain is mostly "white". Sheesh!
All 4 of my grandparents were born in Spain.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I haven't even commented on any gun laws so where are you getting this from? Stay on topic, will you?

From wikepedia:

"The United States does not have a national official language; nevertheless, English (specifically American English) is the primary language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements; although there are laws requiring documents such as ballots to be printed in multiple languages when there are large numbers of non-English speakers in an area".

So yes, there is a law where at times documents in multiple languages is required by law and isn't voluntary. I have read that it goes into the billions of dollars in costs.

Aside from that why would you object to making our defacto national language of English "official" since it is a part of heritage and identifying culture?
Did my research( never use wikipedia as a source), and you seem to be right, any area with 5%(atleast in Florida) of native speakers must have their ballots printed in that language.

The problem with your argument is that making English our de facto language does not mean those laws would change.

As for the second part of your argument. NO English is not part of every ones heritage nor is it cultural. Everyone in the U.S. is not anglo-saxon. or did you forget that this nation was not just settled by the British ?

Last edited by dsjj251; 01-28-2013 at 11:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies