Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No -- I already live in one of the poorest regions of the country. Yet -- ironically the safest city in the world. Poverty has nothing at all to do with it.

Not only the safest city -- but we're also next door to the most dangerous -- guns are legal here -- that's why we're the safest city -- by far safer than Chicago with it's gun laws.
The small city I grew up in is safer than my neighborhood in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
They have already been doing this.... why do you thing there are many Illinois smaller cities that have gone downhill over the last 20 yrs...... hasn't helped Chicago much apparently, the city is still a ****hole
That's laughable.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Contrary to popular opinion, Chicago is not gun free. It's legal to own a gun in Chicago.

Guns cannot be bought/sold in Chicago. There is no shortage of licensed dealers in the suburbs and close by Indiana and Wisconsin. Private dealers are everywhere.
Thank you for telling me this without condescending me. I do like to learn facts.

That's amazing that you cannot buy or sell them there yet so much violence with them occurs. It seems that removing the availability doesn't remove the access, nor the violence. Kind of like forbidding something, one will fight harder to get it.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Gun nuts love pointing out the tragic violence going on in Chicago, but completely ignore NYC, which also has strict gun control laws, yet is the safest big city in America. California also has strict gun laws, yet its cities are also among the safest in the nation.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Gun nuts love pointing out the tragic violence going on in Chicago, but completely ignore NYC, which also has strict gun control laws, yet is the safest big city in America. California also has strict gun laws, yet its cities are also among the safest in the nation.
NYC was dangerous beforeGiuliani once he became mayor he started to crack down on crime, but your safety still depends on your income. Travel to East Harlem or look up the stats and you'll see what I'm talking about. CA puts you in jail for life when you are convicted of your third felony, but is still home to some of the most desperate people as well as some very wealthy people. You can guess which CA cities are safe and which are dangerous.

Chicago is used as an example to point out the hypocrisy of the anti gun people. They care when a bunch of rich white kids die and want to use that tragedy to further their agenda, but brush it off when poor minorities are the victims.

Elisabeth Fosslien's Gun Charts - Business Insider

Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
They have already been doing this.... why do you thing there are many Illinois smaller cities that have gone downhill over the last 20 yrs...... hasn't helped Chicago much apparently, the city is still a ****hole
That is your opinion, I love Chicago and always enjoy my time when I am there. Heck, I can't wait till I get to plan my next trip back there and I have been starting to shop their building market there because I have been looking into buying apartment buildings there.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Thank you for telling me this without condescending me. I do like to learn facts.

That's amazing that you cannot buy or sell them there yet so much violence with them occurs. It seems that removing the availability doesn't remove the access, nor the violence. Kind of like forbidding something, one will fight harder to get it.
Best way to describe it, parts of Chicago suffer many of the same issues places like Camden, NJ suffer, but Chicago overall is still a healthy, safe city.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is your opinion, I love Chicago and always enjoy my time when I am there. Heck, I can't wait till I get to plan my next trip back there and I have been starting to shop their building market there because I have been looking into buying apartment buildings there.
Don't forget to look at parking lots.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
NYC was dangerous beforeGiuliani once he became mayor he started to crack down on crime, but your safety still depends on your income. Travel to East Harlem or look up the stats and you'll see what I'm talking about. CA puts you in jail for life when you are convicted of your third felony, but is still home to some of the most desperate people as well as some very wealthy people. You can guess which CA cities are safe and which are dangerous.

Chicago is used as an example to point out the hypocrisy of the anti gun people. They care when a bunch of rich white kids die and want to use that tragedy to further their agenda, but brush it off when poor minorities are the victims.

Elisabeth Fosslien's Gun Charts - Business Insider
Both pro-gun and anti-gun people do this, no one really cares about why crime happens in poor neighborhoods when all they care about is if guns should be legal or not.

Also, even East Harlem is fairly safe to be in, NYC overall is a much safer city than it was 20 years ago and the safety of the city has nothing to do with its gun laws, but its gun laws are good for how condensed the city living is here and if guns were rampant here, there would probably be more accidents with guns than anything else.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Don't forget to look at parking lots.
Not really interested in owning parking lots, except for lots that have potential for future development. I know they can be money makers though, so who knows I might be able to work them into my budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies