Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
While small towns tend to have lower crime rates, Gary's homicide rate is much higher than Chicago's
It is. I just think it's a poor comparison. Like I said, one is a gigantic city with a bustling economy, the other is a dying town of 80,000.

It's like when people compare Swiss gun crime rates to American gun crime rates and say "hey look, the Swiss own tons of guns and they don't have as much gun crime as us!" It's true, but it's not looking at the whole picture. Switzerland is very different from the US, just as Chicago is different from Gary (or Camden, or East St. Louis).

Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
While small towns tend to have lower crime rates, Gary's homicide rate is much higher than Chicago's
Gary also has a 40% poverty level, Chicago isn't quite that high. Detroit will trump both of those cities.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

It's like when people compare Swiss gun crime rates to American gun crime rates and say "hey look, the Swiss own tons of guns and they don't have as much gun crime as us!" It's true, but it's not looking at the whole picture. Switzerland is very different from the US, just as Chicago is different from Gary (or Camden, or East St. Louis).
I'm confused. Are you justifying our gun crime rate because we are "different" than the Swiss?

To me, it is about our society. We are a more violent people, and are trigger happy. The Swiss, if you look at the numbers, are much more civilized and evolved as a people.

If you want an example of how violent we are, remember back in 2003 when we (again) invaded Iraq? Remember how it was almost sport to watch the invasion live on cable news networks? THAT was considered entertainment for a typical American, when it should have been considered a national tragedy.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I'm confused. Are you justifying our gun crime rate because we are "different" than the Swiss?

To me, it is about our society. We are a more violent people, and are trigger happy. The Swiss, if you look at the numbers, are much more civilized and evolved as a people.

If you want an example of how violent we are, remember back in 2003 when we (again) invaded Iraq? Remember how it was almost sport to watch the invasion live on cable news networks? THAT was considered entertainment for a typical American, when it should have been considered a national tragedy.
There aren't too many populations on the planet that aren't more civilized than the violent elements within US cities.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Doesn't NYC have stricter gun laws? What about the suburbs surrounding Chicago, don't they have strict gun laws also?
I don't know NYC's gun laws. However, I do know Seattle's gun laws. Its gun laws are some of the most lenient for a large city. You can have guns inside the city parks. Seattle's murder rate is half what NYC's is. NYC had a murder rate of 6.3 murders per 100,000 in 2011. Seattle had a murder rate of 3.1 murders per 100,000 in 2011.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,786 times
Quote:
Is it because Obama lived in Chicago?? Gary Indiana has a much higher homicide rate, as do many other cities.

Of course you're just kidding. Any country you go (except red states) to doesn't associate Obama with Chicago crime. It's had the rep for decades. The first thing people bring up is Al Capone.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Any majority black city will rival chicago's crime rate.

I think people spotlight Chicago specifically because Obama "organized communities" there and the sheer number of deaths, not the crime rate, dwarfs other black hellholes with higher crime rates aka Camden.
There are some majority Black areas with low crime rates. South Holland,IL, a majority Black suburb of Chicago, has a crime rate below the national average. Missouri City, TX, a Houston suburb, is majority Black and has a very low crime rate. It's also a high income suburb. Both places are predominantly Black and are not as you think.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know NYC's gun laws. However, I do know Seattle's gun laws. Its gun laws are some of the most lenient for a large city. You can have guns inside the city parks. Seattle's murder rate is half what NYC's is. NYC had a murder rate of 6.3 murders per 100,000 in 2011. Seattle had a murder rate of 3.1 murders per 100,000 in 2011.
Yep. And Minnesota is chock-full of guns and their murder rate is even lower.

Basically, you have an urban gang and drug problem that cities have been unwilling to seriously address. So, they have the gun boogeyman because they don't want to get serious about the issue.

80% of the murders in Chicago are gang\drug related. Cutting those in half would drop Chicago from a murder rate closer to 9ish down to a 6ish.

Also, don't forget when Giuliani cracked down on crime he was called racist, facist....pretty much every name in the book. Sometimes it's just easier to let the failures of society kill each other would seem to be the current acceptable practice by a lot of major cities.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
Quote:
Is it because Obama lived in Chicago?? Gary Indiana has a much higher homicide rate, as do many other cities.

It's because more people die in Chicago than in Gary. Look up the numbers, report back.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
It's because more people die in Chicago than in Gary. Look up the numbers, report back.
Look up what murder rate means, report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies