Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times

Advertisements

Intelligent Readers Beware, this is not a racist thread.

There's been many claims by posters and by some in public that crime in this country is due to race. This thread's only intention is to dispel that notion and to allow us to get to the root problems of our high murder rates. It's definitely an area we could improve in.

What can be done to solve our crime issues? I won't even begin the thread with an agenda.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...stern-kentucky

In addition to Eastern KY, Western KY has had some violent times as well. Little Chicago had murder rates in the 60's with rates of over 50 per 100,000.

What are the real reasons we have such high murder rates in this country? What can we do to solve the issue?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,520,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

There's been many claims by posters and by some in public that crime in this country is due to race. This thread's only intention is to dispel that notion and to allow us to get to the root problems of our high murder rates. It's definitely an area we could improve in.

What can be done to solve our crime issues? I won't even begin the thread with an agenda.

Kentucky Murder Rate | Kentucky homicide rates outdo those of major cities - Baltimore Sun
I'm curious to know what the race of the criminals were in the majority white areas where the murders were committed. Apart from that, people tend to commit more crime when their standard of living is low. Seeing as how our country in general is becoming a cesspool, I'm not at all surprised at a high crime rate.

However, gun crime is the lowest it's been since 1993:

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Yet fear of gun crime is the highest it's ever been. In other words: Don't believe anything the media says as it's 99.9% bull**** racial politics and cloaked divide.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Seeing as how our country in general is becoming a cesspool, I'm not at all surprised at a high crime rate.
Murder rates in the US last year were the lowest since the early 1960s, and so far this year we're on pace to have the lowest murder rate since 1908.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:

Kentucky Murder Rate | Kentucky homicide rates outdo those of major cities - Baltimore Sun
We both spoke of this in another thread. A person's race doesn't make a person violent. Alot of violence goes back to culture. And there are other things that cause violence as well.

Eastern KY/western WV is where the Hatfield/McCoy blood feud happened. Blood feuding has been known to happen in Appalachia.

Hatfield

Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I'm curious to know what the race of the criminals were in the majority white areas where the murders were committed. Apart from that, people tend to commit more crime when their standard of living is low. Seeing as how our country in general is becoming a cesspool, I'm not at all surprised at a high crime rate.

However, gun crime is the lowest it's been since 1993:

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Yet fear of gun crime is the highest it's ever been. In other words: Don't believe anything the media says as it's 99.9% bull**** racial politics and cloaked divide.
In Eastern KY, it is almost 100% white. I have friends from the area and there's literally no black people in a lot of schools. In Western KY it is more diverse. The murders in those days were due to specific reasons. They're more similar to our current situation in cities with Prohibition.

I agree with you if your saying that we need to protect our right to bear arms. The gun control debate seemed more like a political ploy linked to a tragedy more than a well thought out argument. There's intelligent arguments on both sides but this country was founded on Liberty and some of our most violent neighborhoods are in areas with gun restrictions. Good citizens have the right to be armed.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We both spoke of this in another thread. A person's race doesn't make a person violent. Alot of violence goes back to culture. And there are other things that cause violence as well.

Eastern KY/western WV is where the Hatfield/McCoy blood feud happened. Blood feuding has been known to happen in Appalachia.

Hatfield
The TV Series they had on the Feud was great. I researched it after watching it and learned more about the area. The people there are tough. As a kid I would never even think of going to Eastern KY due to its reputation of racism and chaos. After college, some of my best friends are from the area.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Hatfield
So basically rednecks killing rednecks.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
In Eastern KY, it is almost 100% white. I have friends from the area and there's literally no black people in a lot of schools. In Western KY it is more diverse. The murders in those days were due to specific reasons. They're more similar to our current situation in cities with Prohibition.

I agree with you if your saying that we need to protect our right to bear arms. The gun control debate seemed more like a political ploy linked to a tragedy more than a well thought out argument. There's intelligent arguments on both sides but this country was founded on Liberty and some of our most violent neighborhoods are in areas with gun restrictions. Good citizens have the right to be armed.
Interesting that you mention Prohibition. That did raise the murder rates in many cities. I think about what is happening to today with drugs. From what I've learned, in some areas of eastern Kentucky, marijuana is being grown. Some of the growers have used violence to guard their marijuana crops.

One thing about the gun control debate is this. "Gun control" requires very little work, only people who are willing to give up their right to bear arms. Actually having real talk and real solutions takes work.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
The single parent family iis the root cause of high crime rates.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Murder rates in the US last year were the lowest since the early 1960s, and so far this year we're on pace to have the lowest murder rate since 1908.
Yeah, I actually heard a pretty detailed report recently on BBC World News exlaining how, on a global scale, the world is far less violent now than at any time in recorded history.

Part of the reason we get the impression that violence is erupting everywhere and is on the upswing is because of our increased ability to receive news from around the world pretty much in real time, as it happens, through different forms of accessing media (which always seems to sensationalize the negative) as well as technology that allows us to keep more acurate records regarding deaths and causes of deaths.

But overall, according to this report, violence is on the decrease, and has been for some time, both in our country and around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies