Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times

Advertisements

If I had your view, that every life in every womb should have the chance to enter this world, I'd get a few things in order first before I made abortion my main issue. I'd work toward a world where adoption was so common that there were very few children waiting for homes. I'd work toward improving the adoption system itself so that perception of adoption could improve. Even with improvements to adoption, I suppose there will always be women who feel they can not give their baby away and that their only 2 options are keeping the child or abortion. I'd look at all the reasons a woman might choose abortion, and I'd widdle away at those. Maybe she's a mentally ill drug addict and feels she could never trust some random stranger to raise her kid (adoption) but also knows she could never be a fit parent herself. I'd take that information and put my efforts toward the drug and mental illness crisis. Maybe her boyfriend beats her senseless and she doesn't want to bring a baby into that situation. So that would indicate to me that I need to work toward addressing the domestic violence issue. Maybe money / lack of opportunity is a reason some women choose abortion instead of having a child. I'd focus on how to improve the economy, for example, before I tackled the abortion issue. Here's a doozie for ya: I've heard some women say they'd have an abortion because carrying a baby to term would ruin the appearance of their body! Can you figure out what to do about that one..? You work toward a society that values women for attributes and characteristics other than their looks!! What a novel concept!

Hopefully everyone who is anti-abortion is already putting their energies into promoting abstinence and pregnancy prevention so that abortion isn't "needed" in the first place..

Basically what I'm saying is imagine if pro lifers collectively took all the time, money, effort, etc. they currently devote to the abortion issue and instead put it into addressing the surrounding causes of abortion! They'd leave the pro-choice / pro-abortion crowd with very few arguments in their favor. And reducing the "causes" of abortion would drastically reduce abortion!

At the very least don't you think from a public relations standpoint this could greatly help the pro-life movement? By becoming just as vocal about education, economic conditions, domestic violence, addiction, mental illness, etc. and tying those in with their abortion agenda, I think they'd win many friends and partners!

For the pro-lifers in the house, are you involved in any movements that address the contributing factors leading to abortions? Would you say you put even more resources into those causes than you do the pro-life / anti-abortion cause? How many "unwanted" babies and children have you personally adopted? Do you see the merit of the tactics I'm suggesting as a better means to your desired end? Or do you feel they're all even more hopeless causes than the abortion fight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
I'm not a pro-life, but quite frankly, if I were I would tell you to mind your own businss. What someone does with their life and their money is off your radar and none of your concern.

Perhaps you could be a do-gooder instead of typing nonsense on the internet.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM

23,986 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Agree and would add another.

Help young girls value themselves so that they do not seek affirmation from some horny boy.

Yes. I fostered two infants until they could be adopted. We got one when he was 2 days old and had him for a year.

The other was 6 months old when he came with us. He was abandoned by his mom to a lady at the laundromat. The mom said she was looking for a sitter. She never came back for the child. The sitter's husband worked nights. Every time the baby cried, she put a cookie in his mouth so DH would not be disturbed. The baby was so big, he could not even bend over from a sitting position to pick up a dropped toy. The sitter also could not get him medical care due to her not having legal custody. He was finally able to move about. Putting a 6 month old on an exercise routine was something I'd never done. He was so big, I could hardly lift him. He is ok now. The 2 day old was adopted by my kids music teacher. We were able to give her all of his pictures and stuff.

The abandoned baby had 5 siblings that his mom kept. She would not sign the papers to release him. While he was fostered, she see him just often enough that the court could not declare him abandoned.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
If I had your view, that every life in every womb should have the chance to enter this world, I'd get a few things in order first before I made abortion my main issue. I'd work toward a world where adoption was so common that there were very few children waiting for homes. I'd work toward improving the adoption system itself so that perception of adoption could improve. Even with improvements to adoption, I suppose there will always be women who feel they can not give their baby away and that their only 2 options are keeping the child or abortion. I'd look at all the reasons a woman might choose abortion, and I'd widdle away at those. Maybe she's a mentally ill drug addict and feels she could never trust some random stranger to raise her kid (adoption) but also knows she could never be a fit parent herself. I'd take that information and put my efforts toward the drug and mental illness crisis. Maybe her boyfriend beats her senseless and she doesn't want to bring a baby into that situation. So that would indicate to me that I need to work toward addressing the domestic violence issue. Maybe money / lack of opportunity is a reason some women choose abortion instead of having a child. I'd focus on how to improve the economy, for example, before I tackled the abortion issue. Here's a doozie for ya: I've heard some women say they'd have an abortion because carrying a baby to term would ruin the appearance of their body! Can you figure out what to do about that one..? You work toward a society that values women for attributes and characteristics other than their looks!! What a novel concept!

Hopefully everyone who is anti-abortion is already putting their energies into promoting abstinence and pregnancy prevention so that abortion isn't "needed" in the first place..

Basically what I'm saying is imagine if pro lifers collectively took all the time, money, effort, etc. they currently devote to the abortion issue and instead put it into addressing the surrounding causes of abortion! They'd leave the pro-choice / pro-abortion crowd with very few arguments in their favor. And reducing the "causes" of abortion would drastically reduce abortion!

At the very least don't you think from a public relations standpoint this could greatly help the pro-life movement? By becoming just as vocal about education, economic conditions, domestic violence, addiction, mental illness, etc. and tying those in with their abortion agenda, I think they'd win many friends and partners!

For the pro-lifers in the house, are you involved in any movements that address the contributing factors leading to abortions? Would you say you put even more resources into those causes than you do the pro-life / anti-abortion cause? How many "unwanted" babies and children have you personally adopted? Do you see the merit of the tactics I'm suggesting as a better means to your desired end? Or do you feel they're all even more hopeless causes than the abortion fight?
Pro-life people do all of these things and more. You just want them to stop talking about abortion.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Pro-life people do all of these things and more. You just want them to stop talking about abortion.
I promise my post was sincere and just a concept I've thought would actually bring people together somewhat since the abortion issue is such a wedge. I didn't mean to say "stop talking about abortion" - I actually was trying to say here's how you could improve your effectiveness.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Perhaps you could be a do-gooder instead of typing nonsense on the internet.
My do-gooder efforts are largely focused on animal rescue... I think my involvement in that has probably shaped my views on abortion in a way!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Ummm, yea, that's why the pro-life party, Republicans, are always looking for ways to cut social programs that provide for women and children and are against requiring insurance companies and employers to provide BC coverage.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Ummm, yea, that's why the pro-life party, Republicans, are always looking for ways to cut social programs that provide for women and children and are against requiring insurance companies and employers to provide BC coverage.
Why don't you let those who are in favor of abortions..... like you..... pay for them

Why infringe on other peoples 1st amendment rights to religious liberty? Why do Libs hate the constitution?

In the mean time, Republicans will VOLUNTARILY give far more to charity to help the victims, kids and others who cannot care for themselves

Old 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Why don't you let those who are in favor of abortions..... like you..... pay for them

Why infringe on other peoples 1st amendment rights to religious liberty? Why do Libs hate the constitution?

In the mean time, Republicans will VOLUNTARILY give far more to charity to help the victims, kids and others who cannot care for themselves
Taxes are not considered "controbutions" and never will be. It's an arguement people make from a false belife that their taxes can be spent on things they like and not on things they don't like. The line is drawn, always has been (ie: it's not something Obama or anyone else did). This is a fact of living in the USA.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Taxes are not considered "controbutions" and never will be. It's an arguement people make from a false belife that their taxes can be spent on things they like and not on things they don't like. The line is drawn, always has been (ie: it's not something Obama or anyone else did). This is a fact of living in the USA.
That is why we should focus more on charity which is voluntary and less on taxes which are compulsory

We would have a much happier populace and more fair too if we were able to donate and support the things we believe in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies