Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,165,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Poor people, those who are least able to support and provide for children, are the ones who seem to produce the most. The answer to the original question is "the solution is for the poor to stop breeding like rats." The rest of us are tired of paying for them.
^^^^^
this

My God, I couldn't have said it better myself.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

Not necessarily, but we need to change the way social welfare programs distribute funds.

I'd love to see welfare as well as food stamps for adults as a variable amount tied to both family size and the educational progress of the children. Give families with the older kids in post secondary education (grants, scholarships, loans are plentiful) more money than like families where no child went past grade 12. If all kids are younger, give more to families where the kids are in the top 20% of the class versus the bottom 20%.

To insure the children are taken care of, in such cases where funds are cut, we should offer all 3 meals per day -children ONLY-at a combination of their schools and a social service office.

The extra cost for the 3rd meal would be more than offset by lower food stamp costs for parents not making sure the next generation is more self sufficient than they are.
My G-d. You have got to be kidding me. This is just ...

There are no words.

Look, this is really simple: Multi-billion dollar corporations have to start paying people thriving wages commensurate with the actual value of their labor from the profits they help generate, and stop stealing it from workers' pockets and hoarding 100 percent of it into their own.

Even if you don't agree that workers who actually, you know, do the work, deserve to be paid to today's standards and not 1965's (which they're currently being paid the equivalent of), then look at it as these multi-billion corporations ripping you off.

Every dime they refuse to pay their workers from their billions and billions in profits (not revenues, profits), is a dime they make you pay in Earned Income tax credits, low-income housing assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, S-Chip, child care credits, and so on.

Why on earth should we continue to allow multi-billion dollar corporations to force us to pick up the slack they refuse to pay their own workers? That's not only morally offensive, it's utterly fiscally irresponsible as a country. We darn well ought to be demanding that our government do something about it once and for all, like fine these jokers 4x the costs if any of their workers have to turn to taxpayers to keep them fed, housed, and healthy.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

Look at all the generations of immigrants who arrived on the shores of the US over the past 150 or so years. All grew out of poverty without gov't assistance. Generation after generation did better than the previous generation. American poverty in most of the US is a joke compared to nearly every other country on the planet. If you want to see true poverty just fly to the Islands off the east coast where people live in shanty towns. We as a country reward people who live in poverty by giving them tons of entitlements. Yet those who make the attempt to grow out of poverty are slammed down and are stripped of entitlements. Those people are known as the working poor. It should be reversed. We should not reward generational welfare.

If illegals can come to the US and find jobs, then so can those who live in poverty. All they have to do is move to where the jobs are and the US gov't has to punish employers with hefty fines for hiring illegals over citizens.
You must be joking. Really you must. This bizarro-America you describe never existed. Ever.

Mitt Romney's family was on Welfare.

Paul Ryan's mother is a Medicare recipient.

Red states take more federal tax dollars than they put in, and blue states put in more than they take out.

The wealthy elite in this country take more billions from the government than the poor could even dream of in their wildest imaginations.

Stop hating on people because they're different from you. Stop looking down your nose at people less fortunate. Stop judging people you don't even know.

This is a really sickening characteristic of the Republican party.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,767,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Let's face it, it's far easier to live on the minimum wage as a single person than have multiple people live on one persons minimum wage.

...Until supposedly government assistance, where some argue that it's easier, and it's the reason certain people obtain more children to live under their house hold.

But said children take away one other valuable resource from the people that obtained the children: time.

Thus, the people in question will have difficulty professionally progressing than say a person who can not only work full time but attend school, training, or perhaps over time as well.

It is important to note that many welfare recipients are recipients due to children.

The problem with these recipients is that you cannot get rid of the children through any moral means.

If you take away the welfare, kids aren't getting fed.

If you have welfare the government isn't getting fed.

Either way in a poor economy it is far more likely that the children of poor stay poor.
A very very large portion of poverty is imported poverty. Over 25 million are here illegally and they have the sky high birth rates that are creating a very large growth in poverty.

Having children here gets them a pass around the immigration laws and instant welfare handouts.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
You must be joking. Really you must. This bizarro-America you describe never existed. Ever.
Most immigrants came through the East coast of the US and not the SoCal border with Mexico.

Mitt Romney's family was on Welfare.
His father was born in Mexico and grew off of it.
Welfare Wasn't Always A Dirty Word In The Romney Family : It's All Politics : NPR

Paul Ryan's mother is a Medicare recipient.
Everyones mother end up on some version of Medicare once they cross the 65 threshold.

Stop hating on people because they're different from you. Stop looking down your nose at people less fortunate. Stop judging people you don't even know.

I was the child of an immigrant family that came to the US with nothing. Our family had to be sponsered and sign off that we would not go onto any Welfare system. To us a 3 bedroom apartment was a 3 family apartment. We started in Brownsville, NY (look it up) and came from relatively poor background. Within 10 yrs we were in better surroundings. The city you live in is not poor and neither is Vallarta.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,235,780 times
Solution? Sure.
Require a license in order to have a child, one that will only be granted if you meet the qualifications.
Why not? You need one to get married, drive a car and many other less important things.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM

63,019 posts, read 29,229,874 times
My solution would be to educate the parents that having kids you can't afford to feed yourself without government assistance that it is obvious you shouldn't be having them and therefore sentencing them to a life of poverty.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

My solution would be to educate the parents that having kids you can't afford to feed yourself without government assistance that it is obvious you shouldn't be having them and therefore sentencing them to a life of poverty.
Right. Because all poor people are stupid.

How about this? If you're going to give government the power to demand a pregnant woman incubate a fetus into full child-hood, then the government is obligated to pay child support for however long that child needs it until its 18th birthday.

Sounds fair to me.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM

6,485 posts, read 6,696,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Poor people, those who are least able to support and provide for children, are the ones who seem to produce the most. The answer to the original question is "the solution is for the poor to stop breeding like rats." The rest of us are tired of paying for them.
It may not sound like a compassionate solution, and I'll admit I haven't thought this through yet. But it just occurred to me that if a person with a child/children seeks government assistance, perhaps it could be tied to a choice of using government provided birth control, or understand that assistance will ALL be cut off if you become pregnant again. They could be given a highly effective form of bc, such as IUD, quarterly depo-provera shots, even tubal ligation if they prefer, at no cost to them.

Mandatory enrollment in some kind of job training program, or mandatory performance of some kind of community work, could also be tied to the government assistance.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM

5,664 posts, read 5,096,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
But it just occurred to me that if a person with a child/children seeks government assistance, perhaps it could be tied to a choice of using government provided birth control,...
Mandatory birth control shots before the first check is issued. How about sterilization for anyone on public assistance more than say, two years. No additional benefits for additional children born during that time. That's plenty of time for anyone to make serious progress towards getting back on their feet.

And sterilize anyone receiving a jail or prison sentence of more than six months.

Time to clean out the bottom of society's barrel. Within a generation, the poverty problem would be either eliminated or greatly minimized.

If you want sweet talk, go see your mom. I'm here with workable solutions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies