Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
What's going to change?
If the retailers were to start adding these fees people are going to think twice about using that CC and use cash/debit instead. If you were going to buy a TV and there is $20 fee for CC what are you going to use to purchase it? The cost of that fee is no longer added into the cost of the product for cash paying customers.

Having said that the one article pointed out retailers may not want to go this route because people are likely to spend more when they have a CC in their hand.

Quote:
People need to stop acting like they know how business owners have already been dealing with this credit card issue for decades.
I tell you how I dealt with it, I never offered it as a form of payment. In the fuel delivery business you're operating on a small profit margin, 2 or 3 percent is a lot. I did offer credit to established customers and had little trouble collecting but then again in my business the customer was more likely to be middle aged person that owned their own home etc. These were nearly all low risk customers by default.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I used to work in PoS, yes I understand the technical difference.
My point is, at this time, it is another burden upon the middle class who were promised no more taxes.
Its a transaction fee. It covers the cost of the transaction between bank and user. Users have been absorbing these costs since forever and were built into the purchase price. It will be up to the user to decide to enforce it or not.

I guess we will go back to the dinosaur age when people used hard cash. The other option will be to use a debit card, which will probably see a transactoin fee somewhere down the road.

Maybe this is a good thing. People would stop using credit cards and running up their credit when they realize it's costing them an extra $20-25 a month to use them.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post

Yes, I agree this is an opportunity for corporations to pass on their costs directly to the consumer.
That's actually a very sound business practice. In fact, if a business DOESN'T do this, they won't be in business long. Unless, of course, they are being subsidized. Don't get me started on that.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Why should cash customers subsidize credit card customers?
Take it up with your favorite retailers. Let us know how that works out for you.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Take it up with your favorite retailers. Let us know how that works out for you.

So when credit card users feel entitled, no problem, but when the poor feel entitled, omg.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 AM

If I were a merchant, I'd probably charge people who pay with CHECKS a surcharge - they're a much riskier vehicle than a credit card purchase. And believe it or not there are costs associated with processing cash and checks as well. For instance, there's the time it takes to balance the drawers, fill out the associated paperwork, and then someone has to take the cash and checks to the bank, wait in the drive through line, etc. There's also more room for human error when dealing with cash and checks.

The vast majority of businesses have already computed these costs into their prices.

I shop at a little antique shop in a small town occasionally. The owners there charge 3 percent if I use a debit card for purchases under a certain dollar amount, but don't charge extra for cash or my out of state check. Oh well, it's their choice and mine as to whether or not this goes down. I usually write a check - which is a hassle because they often don't cash it for days - sometimes it doesn't clear my account for two weeks. Oh, well. I always have the option to just use my debit or credit card, or stop somewhere and get cash (another hassle).

Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
....and the CC customer can even get money back.

Is this a great country or what? (TM)

Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So when credit card users feel entitled, no problem, but when the poor feel entitled, omg.
What on earth are you going on about? You're not making sense.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
If I were a merchant, I'd probably charge people who pay with CHECKS a surcharge - they're a much riskier vehicle than a credit card purchase. And believe it or not there are costs associated with processing cash and checks as well. For instance, there's the time it takes to balance the drawers, fill out the associated paperwork, and then someone has to take the cash and checks to the bank, wait in the drive through line, etc. There's also more room for human error when dealing with cash and checks.

The vast majority of businesses have already computed these costs into their prices.

I shop at a little antique shop in a small town occasionally. The owners there charge 3 percent if I use a debit card for purchases under a certain dollar amount, but don't charge extra for cash or my out of state check. Oh well, it's their choice and mine as to whether or not this goes down. I usually write a check - which is a hassle because they often don't cash it for days - sometimes it doesn't clear my account for two weeks. Oh, well. I always have the option to just use my debit or credit card, or stop somewhere and get cash (another hassle).

What would you think if people like me started paying for a $50 transaction with $1 bills? I'm just trying to level the playing field.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
What on earth are you going on about? You're not making sense.

Over in P&OC, a lot of people complain that poor people have an entitlement mentality. From this thread, we can see that middle class credit card users also have an entitlement mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies