Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And the NRA isn't?????

Do you really think Wayne LaPierre, with his crazy Donald Trump hair, is advocating for gun OWNERS?

If you do, then I'd love to show you a bridge I have for sale.
So NRA lobbying = bad.

Lobbying to take guns = good.

Is that your point your trying to make? That seems to be the way the left looks at lobbying. As long as it's for what you want it's all good. Obama was going to end it all too. How soon we forget. lol

Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
Watching the Gabby Gifford testimony I thought of John Travolta pushing in his client in a wheel chair and wiping the drool from his chin in fained disgust in the movie A Civil Action. LOL You don't trot out people like Mrs. Gifford unless you are going for the sympathy ploy.
Your post is disgusting and lacking in both compassion and intelligence. You should be ashamed of yourself. This woman was a public servant who survived an assassination attempt who has more intelligence and class in her little finger than most of us will have in a lifetime.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I agree. It was hideous watching her and a hideous sympathy ploy.
And I don't think your opinion surprises anybody.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What can she do with that PAC money on a personal, private basis? Can she spend it like personal income?
Ask Chucky Rangel...........

Congressman Charles Rangel, whose ethics trial starts tomorrow, appears to have improperly used political-action committee money to pay for his defense

Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Your post is disgusting and lacking in both compassion and intelligence. You should be ashamed of yourself. This woman was a public servant who survived an assassination attempt who has more intelligence and class in her little finger than most of us will have in a lifetime.
Can she feel her fingers anymore?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I never alluded that that the NRA is not a lobbyist organization.
[i]But people here seem to think Giffords is talking as an individual and victim.[/I]
No, she's right next to the NRA as a lobbyists.

I view her the same as LaPierre..both lobbyists with political affiliations and financial backing to push agendas.

You either tolerate lobbyists for what they are or you don't. But you don't go cherry picking lobbyists that are OK vs ones that are not.

A lobbyist has a political agenda and is backed by political money.

I am being totally consistent here in my stand against lobbyists influencing government on "our" behalf.
They aren't. It is the 1% behind lobbyists pushing agendas and that was the one promise I had hoped Obama would have kept..kick all the lobbyists out of DC.
She is talking both as an individual and victim. But she is also a former Congresswoman who is interested in shaping public policies that will be of benefit for this country. She is supremely qualified to talk about gun violence, both because of its personal impact on her, and because she is an intelligent, thoughtful former member of Congress.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Case in point.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Are you 12-years-old? Shouldn't you be in school right now?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
You know, victims of drunk drivers have often spoken out for stiffer penalties for drunk drivers, victims of child abuse have often used their experiences to influence laws, parents of murdered children often use their pain and grief to advocate for stricter laws for the perpetrators of those crimes (i.e., Megan's Law).....

.....but a victim of a mass shooting shouldn't have a voice? And if she does try to speak, she is ridiculed and denigrated.

I don't think I've ever seen anything as disgusting and vile as I've seen in the hate and venom in the comments you gun huggers are hurling at someone who has really suffered and whose life was changed forever in a matter of a few moments.

But I guess that's what panic will do to you, huh? You all are so desperately afraid that people will listen to HER, as well as to the eloquent statements that parents of some of the babies killed at Sandy Hook have made, that any compassion and empathy any of you might have had just flies out the window.

I'm disgusted. You people are disgusting and should be ashamed of yourselves - not that I think a single one of you are.
Well said! I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
We can also deal with more than one issue at a time.
So, where is the talk about the budget? Has ole harry spoken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies