Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,104,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
But some people would prefer to tell us all how to live, including what hobbies to enjoy and what they know will be best for all of us, collectively.
Not at all.
But if you want to drive, then at least pay a fair amount of TAX for the habit.
I think the tax should include something for:
+ The damage to the environment
+ The depletion of a scare resource
+ The knock-on effect of the military presence that the habit necessitates

The US should just raise Gas taxes to European or Hong Kong levels, and the light would really come on.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
A future.

This thread is a boob test.
If enough boobs post here, I may stay away from Charlotte and its environs.
I had considered moving back to the USA, but if no one gets it, I wills stay abroad,
and let the boobs drown in the mess they are creating

Places like Baxter and Riverwalk gave me hope, but maybe they are just "noise"

Thanks. T-Cat, for seeing the light.
Do us a favor and stay abroad, most people in this country like the freedom of choice, that is why we have some walkable neighborhoods and some that you need a car but have more space.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
You are draining your own pocket book. How smart is that?
How much money are you wasting on the Internet connection you're using to read this? Or the computer? Do you have a cell phone? Wasteful!

Quote:
Add up all the money that you have wasted on your car, the gasoline, the insurance....
And you could buy a very nice home.
Um, a lot of people who own a car ALSO have "a very nice home."

Quote:
Some, like me, who have lived for decades without owning a car
If you're happy without a car, good for you. I'm glad you're happy. It's worth it to me to pay what's required to have a car (four, actually).

Try as I might, I just can't talk the bus driver into hitching up my travel trailer and taking me to the national park.

I also work 12-13 hours per day, usually 6 days per week. I don't have the *time* to take public transportation, even if I wanted to.

You do realize that not everyone is you, right? Let me guess - you're still a teenager? Maybe, at most, you're 20 or 21? You may think that you have it all figured out, but please take this piece of free advice to heart: You only think that.

If we want to "waste" our money on a car, that's none of your business. Don't concern yourself with it and you'll discover that you have a much lower stress level and will live a longer, happier life as a result.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,740 times
Quote:
Certainly, we can agree that there are enough loons in the US.
Their lunacy is fed by things like all those car advertisements, brain-washing people.

Americans are probably the most thoroughly brainwashed people in the world- I am sorry to tell you.

The elites pick your pockets, and leave you happy about it. You send your children off to war, and they get killed, and instead of asking why - and understanding the big picture - you salute the flags they run up, and call yourselves patriots.

A true patriot is one that wants to free his countrymen from debt-slavery and addictions. A pity that there are not more who can see the connections clearly
Funny that you mention the elites since you want us all to move to population centers and give up self guided transportation unless it's on foot. Fits perfectly into Agenda 21, an elite agenda.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Wonderful.
Why don't you also brag about the size of your "tool"?
That would fit right in with your sort of thinking.
I should think you will outgrow this someday, if you are lucky.

Since I have to haul loads for my buisness, and will be pulling a toy hauler on the weekends, it suits the purpose. Has nothing to do with the size of my tool, since IT is the right tool for the job. Maybe I can run without air conditioning and you'll forgive me.

I'm surprised it only took 2 posts for someone to stuff foot in mouth.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Have you ever lived in a City with a good transport system?

I was born in Detroit - a city where you need a car, and would never go back to that kind of living.

Since then, I have lived in:
Boston, New York, Chicago, London, Hong Kong

Do you think a car-addicted city like Detroit (or even Charlotte?) can be compared to any of those great cities?

The "ants" you talk about enjoy a better quality of life, that those who pour their lives and their wealth into their cars.
I have less pollution and a better quality of life where I reside than I would in any of those cities and much much much much, did I say much, less pollution.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Do us a favor and stay abroad, most people in this country like the freedom of choice, that is why we have some walkable neighborhoods and some that you need a car but have more space.
I am all in favor of freedom of choice !

I just wish there was more of it - more communities which are not dominated by "happy cars."
There are a few of those - and some communities that are moving in the right direction.
People need to wake up, and demand better transport-
So that there's a choice to live well without cars - as there is in so many other countries

Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I have less pollution and a better quality of life where I reside than I would in any of those cities and much much much much, did I say much, less pollution.
How could you possibly know that - unless you had lived in all of those cities for sometime?
You may THINK you have a "better quality of life", just because you love the food you are getting fed in your own gold fish bowl. It is called: cultural myopia

Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Dale,
Thanks for you post.
But have you ever lived in any of the truly great cities that I listed?
If so, which one, and what happened to you there?
I lived in one mentioned, I had many friends get murdered, I myself was shot and stabbed, many friends died of drug overdoses and my commute took 3 times as long as i currently have. It also cost mush more to live there, my rent on a studio apartment was $600 25 years ago, you could buy a 3 bedroom house here for a lower monthly payment.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Funny that you mention the elites since you want us all to move to population centers and give up self guided transportation unless it's on foot. Fits perfectly into Agenda 21, an elite agenda.
Not at all.
You are trying to stuff words into my mouth.
I don't think Big cities are the answer for everyone - not at all - as I have stated above.

But I think American needs more living options which do not require extreme car dependency.
Is this really controversial? I should think that Everyone would agree to such an obvious and crying need !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies