Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times

Advertisements

Don't be a fool and use this ignorant term, there is no such thing as a gun show loophole. If you attend a gun show in the United States and buy a gun from a vendor you are subject to a federal background check just like if you buy from a gun store down the street or a gun vendor online.

The term comes from misinformed idiots who actually believe that you can sidestep the background check requirements by simply buying a gun from a gun show which isn't true.

In the US you can legally purchase a gun from a private individual without a background check, if the gun crosses state lines it has to be transferred through an FFL. This has nothing to do with gun shows, it just so happens that a lot of private sales happen in parking lots and sidewalks outside of gun shows because that's where people with guns usually go to buy or sell them.

If you want to make it illegal to do a private sale without a background check then fight for it and make it happen, I don't appose it and would fully support it as long as it doesn't involve gun registration. Just don't make yourself sound like a fool and use the term "gun show loophole", educate yourself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Yes, it's a 'private sale loophole' and many private sales happen at gun shows. Hopefully we can get past this dictionary defense and pass laws to regulate private sales.

Presently, 17 states regulate private firearm sales at gun shows. Seven states require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows (California, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Oregon, New York, Illinois and Colorado). Four states (Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) require background checks on all handgun, but not long gun, purchasers at gun shows. Six states require individuals to obtain a permit to purchase handguns that involves a background check (Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Iowa, Nebraska). Certain counties in Florida require background checks on all private sales of handguns at gun shows. The remaining 33 states do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows in any manner.

Gun shows in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Yes, it's a 'private sale loophole' and many private sales happen at gun shows. Hopefully we can get past this dictionary defense and pass laws to regulate private sales.

Presently, 17 states regulate private firearm sales at gun shows. Seven states require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows (California, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Oregon, New York, Illinois and Colorado). Four states (Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) require background checks on all handgun, but not long gun, purchasers at gun shows. Six states require individuals to obtain a permit to purchase handguns that involves a background check (Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Iowa, Nebraska). Certain counties in Florida require background checks on all private sales of handguns at gun shows. The remaining 33 states do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows in any manner.

Gun shows in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bingo, so how do we educate the gun grabbing morons so that they actually understand what they're fighting for/against? Attacking gun shows isn't going to help when gun shows and their vendors are already regulated. All it does is paint gun shows in a negative light which I know is the main goal of many.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
heaven forbid people interact with each other without consent of the state.
Free society my a$$.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Don't be a fool and use this ignorant term, there is no such thing as a gun show loophole. If you attend a gun show in the United States and buy a gun from a vendor you are subject to a federal background check just like if you buy from a gun store down the street or a gun vendor online.

The term comes from misinformed idiots who actually believe that you can sidestep the background check requirements by simply buying a gun from a gun show which isn't true.

In the US you can legally purchase a gun from a private individual without a background check, if the gun crosses state lines it has to be transferred through an FFL. This has nothing to do with gun shows, it just so happens that a lot of private sales happen in parking lots and sidewalks outside of gun shows because that's where people with guns usually go to buy or sell them.

If you want to make it illegal to do a private sale without a background check then fight for it and make it happen, I don't appose it and would fully support it as long as it doesn't involve gun registration. Just don't make yourself sound like a fool and use the term "gun show loophole", educate yourself.
Wrong. I bought a S&W .22 Kit Gun at a show here at the fairgrounds in Columbia a couple of years back and the vendor couldn't figure out why I wanted to show him my ID. No paperwork ever existed except for the paper the $425 cash I gave him was printed on.

We need mandatory checks for all purchases, and a final check at the exit to make certain the paperwork was done.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Wrong. I bought a S&W .22 Kit Gun at a show here at the fairgrounds in Columbia a couple of years back and the vendor couldn't figure out why I wanted to show him my ID. No paperwork ever existed except for the paper the $425 cash I gave him was printed on.

We need mandatory checks for all purchases, and a final check at the exit to make certain the paperwork was done.
Private sales between individuals is not a gun show law loophole.

That same transaction could have occurred at a flea market.
States have their own laws as well as the Federal laws and some don't permit private sales at shows.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Bingo, so how do we educate the gun grabbing morons so that they actually understand what they're fighting for/against? Attacking gun shows isn't going to help when gun shows and their vendors are already regulated. All it does is paint gun shows in a negative light which I know is the main goal of many.
" how do we educate the gun grabbing morons?"

We WON'T. The KNOW what they are saying is a lie. just as constantly using the term "Assault" weapon.

They will distort and lie about anything to advance their agenda. "The end justifies the means!"

Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:
It just so happens that a lot of private sales happen in parking lots and sidewalks outside of gun shows because that's where people with guns usually go to buy or sell them.
Really? It's just a coincidence that gun sales happen in the parking lots of gun shows?

Just how do the seller and buyer find each other in the parking lot? Do the sellers display their guns from their pickup tailgates, with signs indicating the prices? Do the buyers stand in the middle of the parking lot and loudly announce that they are looking to purchase guns and wait for the sellers to flock to them?

I've been to a gun show or two and have never seen such behavior. In fact, if such actions did happen, then why even go into the gun show at all if you can get your guns in the lot? And wouldn't parking lot gun sales tick off the gun vendors inside who paid for the right to have a booth at the show? Wouldn't the show operator run off the parking lot vendors who didn't pay for a booth but who are benefiting from from the location of the show?

The gun show loophole isn't simply about private sales between two people. It's about someone who goes into a gun show, finds a gun that they like and tells the booth vendor that he, the purchaser, doesn't want to fill out paperwork. The vendor, being a good-hearted fellow, tells the potential customer to go find a certain vehicle in the parking lot. At that vehicle is a person (who may or may not be the vendor's cousin) has in his car trunk the exact make and model of gun sought by the potential customer, which may or may not be available for purchase.

That in a nutshell is the gun show loop-hole.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
heaven forbid people interact with each other without consent of the state.
Free society my a$$.

.... or be subject to a tax or fee for the priviledge.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
It is amazing the the anti's who are currently back in the light from under the rock they had crawled are using many of the same buzz words they did back in 1992. Their strategy is say buzz words over and over to hopefully mislead people.

A gunshow "loophole" to a anti is the fact that one is allowed to be held. They want to shut down gunshows that is their agenda.

What they want to do is make insurance and zoning and fees so high and heavy that holding a show will be next to impossible and too much trouble.

They use this "loophole" excuse to push this.

Make no mistake anti's aren't interested in preserving gun rights and making things safer, their idea of safety is denying the right to own and purchase by not technically banning all but making it so hard to get one they might as well be banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies