Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

When will you ever learn about correlation?

Does carrying an umbrella make it rain?
I know that having an area with a high percentage of African Americans leads to higher levels of crimes than areas with lower levels of African Americans even when you control for incomes and urban/rural density. So high crime areas in America are highly correlated with areas with high percentages of African Americans. Now it's not perfect correlation but there you have have it.

Any empirical evidence you have that disputes this correlation I'd love to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I do blame the parents of whoever is flashmobbing. And at this point, the perpetrators need to be caught and punished. Maybe a 100 hours of community service each.
Yup African American parenting must be lacking.
Quote:
Speaking as someone with a Chinese upbringing, there is no way I ever would have participating in a flashmob as a teen for kicks or necessity. Why? Because that behaviour would have greatly disappointed my parents AND... brought shame to the whole family. Stealing, lying, bullying, terrorizing... all really wrong and bad behaviour. That's just the way I was raised. Now to the media, my parents would have defended me, but once back home, I know that I would have been severely punished, and rightly so.
As someone from an African background we have similar notions of offending family honor, so I can relate. I suspect this is a major reason for the breakdown we are seeing the African American community. There is this attitude that folks can do anything they want with no consequences. There is no shame. Being rude and crude is actually celebrated.

My mom used to tell me how her African American co-workers would share the fact that their boyfriends or sons were in prison as if it wasn't a big deal. She was stunned because she feel great shame if her son was in prison. I know of one Ghanaian woman whose son is in prison for murder, she doesn't even visit him. It's like he's dead.

Quote:
These kids have zero moral code. And I don't understand the disconnect. The black community is known for being very religious and going to church.
This has always baffled me. I wasn't raised in the African American Church but been as an adult and I don't see anything there lacking. So I don't know what the disconnect is to be honest.

Quote:
So why is it acceptable to steal from others? But maybe it's because blacks feel that society is unfair to them, so it's okay to steal from non-blacks. It's that damn entitlement attitude again.
You maybe right. It's sad really.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 695 times
Angry Flash Mobs

Unfortunately if you dont recognize or are unwilling to accept the problem than you justify it or minimize it to avoid facing your failed ideals to the detrement of the rest of us.
If you act like a wild animal than you shoud be treated as such!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
The chance for it to happen to you is slim. But once it happens to you (God forbids), I bet you will make sure that your voice is heard.

This thing happened alot last year in Philadelphia that Mayor Nutter actually put a curfew for youth of certain age. I am not quite sure what the breakdown is. Something like 13 years old should not be out after 10 PM, etc ...etc... If they were caught meandering around after the hour, the parents will get a fine. This is quite ineffective since most of these delinquents come from broken homes.

Anyway my point is that I know this is a small thing. But this is something that needs not to be taken lightly. We, Philadelphians, saw it way too often last year up to the point that anytime I got home at night and happened to see a group of young male of certain demographics coming my way, I took the liberty to actually cross the street and tried to walk on the other side of the street so that I did not have to meet face to face with them.
That's the thing, I hope the police are taking this seriously, but me as a citizen of 8+million people, I am not gonna throw on a suit and go out and start fighting crime, this isn't even going to affect my daily routines.

I am sure once the police crack down on the trouble areas and these problems will go away. When I was a kid we were breaking into construction sites and stealing stuff to build forts in the woods. Was it illegal and careless? Sure, but we were young teens who just wanted to have fun.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
I wonder how many of you guys realize that not every black in nyc is African-American.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otb1961 View Post
Unfortunately if you dont recognize or are unwilling to accept the problem than you justify it or minimize it to avoid facing your failed ideals to the detrement of the rest of us.
If you act like a wild animal than you shoud be treated as such!

No, it's not about minimizing the issue or ignoring it. What it's about is over-hyping an issue to create an enviornment of fear ....(the blacks...the blacks!!!) so that there is a justification for stop and frisk policies and police abuse of power. People freaking out writing stupid things about 30 round mags (for stealing candy and vandalizing?). Really? If the teens are caught what would the allowable punishment under the current law be? Not death.

This is about crazy people always crying about how the world is going to hell when it's really not. The murder rate in NYC is at it's lowest rates since the early 1960s.

NYC's Murder Rate Went Down in 2012, But Is The NYPD Really Responsible?: Gothamist

Yes, those are rotten bad children but they don't deserve the death penalty for their petty crimes. They do need to be caught and whatever punishment is due to them should be meted out. Again, why is it that the people who are living in this city are managing to keep things in perspective while those who don't are going nuts complaining about gun control and "sheeple"? Yes, that's the answer let's have newsstand owners spraying petty thieves with 30 rounds of bullets in a crowded city because they will all be sharpshooters and only the guilty will be hit .

Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
No, it's not about minimizing the issue or ignoring it. What it's about is over-hyping an issue to create an enviornment of fear ....(the blacks...the blacks!!!) so that there is a justification for stop and frisk policies and police abuse of power. People freaking out writing stupid things about 30 round mags (for stealing candy and vandalizing?). Really? If the teens are caught what would the allowable punishment under the current law be? Not death.

This is about crazy people always crying about how the world is going to hell when it's really not. The murder rate in NYC is at it's lowest rates since the early 1960s.

NYC's Murder Rate Went Down in 2012, But Is The NYPD Really Responsible?: Gothamist

Yes, those are rotten bad children but they don't deserve the death penalty for their petty crimes. They do need to be caught and whatever punishment is due to them should be meted out. Again, why is it that the people who are living in this city are managing to keep things in perspective while those who don't are going nuts complaining about gun control and "sheeple"? Yes, that's the answer let's have newsstand owners spraying petty thieves with 30 rounds of bullets in a crowded city because they will all be sharpshooters and only the guilty will be hit .

Great post.

While I am disgusted by criminal flash mobs..and they are largely an African American youth issue..this kind of thing brings out the nut jobs from bumble**** Ohio or wherever with thier fantasies of mowing down minorities with semi-auto weapons. There are a lot of really twisted people in this country, and we seem to have a plethora of them here on C-D politics board.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
One poster mentioned "lynch" mobs as early examples of mob violence. Those were also domestic terrorists e.g. KKK. I include an excerpt from Wikipedia which points to a few things: First, race friction remains with us. Second, the police/government will not be able or willing to protect you or both. I believe in Chicago the cops have stopped responding to certain types of calls. This speaks to collapse, to anarchy. Things are breaking down and the government seems to want to control guns because they know at some level people will be at the mercy of the bad guys. Consider if the black residents of Rosewood had been well armed; they might have made it through. It surprises me that any black citizens would be for serious gun control. Check out DC where guns are essentially forbidden and yet the crime stats continue headed upwards. What a country!

Rosewood massacre

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The remains of Sarah Carrier's house where two blacks and two whites were killed in Rosewood in January 1923

The Rosewood massacre was a violent, racially motivated conflict that took place during the first week of January 1923 in rural Levy County, Florida, United States. At least six blacks and two whites were killed, and the town of Rosewood was abandoned and destroyed in what contemporary news reports characterized as a race riot. Racial disturbances were common during the early 20th century in the United States, reflecting the nation's rapid social changes. Florida had an especially high number of lynchings in the years before the massacre, including a well-publicized incident in December 1922.[specify]
Rosewood was a quiet, primarily black, self-sufficient whistle stop on the Seaboard Air Line Railway. Spurred by unsupported accusations that a white woman in nearby Sumner had been beaten and possibly raped by a black drifter, white men from nearby towns lynched a Rosewood resident. When black citizens defended themselves against further attack, several hundred whites combed the countryside hunting for black people, and burned almost every structure in Rosewood. Survivors hid for several days in nearby swamps and were evacuated by train and car to larger towns. Although state and local authorities were aware of the violence, they made no arrests for the activities in Rosewood. The town was abandoned by black residents during the attacks. None ever returned.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wonder how many of you guys realize that not every black in nyc is African-American.
I do and it's one reason, often ignored why crime has dropped in NYC.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA;28133263[B
]I know that having an area with a high percentage of African Americans leads to higher levels of crimes than areas with lower levels of African Americans even when you control for incomes and urban/rural density[/b]. So high crime areas in America are highly correlated with areas with high percentages of African Americans. Now it's not perfect correlation but there you have have it.

Any empirical evidence you have that disputes this correlation I'd love to see it.
Prove it. I seriously doubt a black area with income over $250K is going to have more crime than a white area making $250K.

Before you say there are no black neighborhoods making that much, there is at least one in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies