Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Once u factor in benefits (paid 11 federal holiday vs only 5-6 paid holidays for private). Factor in health benefits which are more subsidized for federal workers spouses and family than the private industry. ).

Factor in some bogus 9/80 work hours federal workers do.

You get my drift. Plus many private sectors now roll sick leave with paid time off whereas federal place separate them plus temp disability.

It all adds up these "benefits" federal works get over the private sector.
Do you have some actual facts?

Federal workers get 10 paid holidays? Please list the 11th one?

So *ALL* private companies only get 5-6 paid holidays? Interesting. All the private companies we deal with get 10 paid holidays also. The company I left in 2009 got 10 paid holidays. I agree that *some* companies only get 6 paid holiday--Costco is one of them. But you can't do that kind of comparison.

Can you prove that health benefits are "more" subsized for federal workers spouses and family than the private industry? My experience has shown that not to be the case. That same company I left in 2009, paid 70% of the premium for family policies and 75% for individual policies. Roughly the same that the FEHB pays now. Granted, *some* private companies do not chip in as much for health insurance as the public sector does. *Some* kick in more. My husband's private employer pays 100% of the premiums for his health care policy. That is for individual or family.

Tell me about this "temporary disability." I do not see in in the public sector. In fact, when I worked private sector, my private company organized a short-term disability insurance program for workers. It was voluntary and the employee had to pay the premium of roughly $9 - $14 per pay period. In the government, there is NO option to even purchase short-term disability. You must buy a private policy if you want it.

When you come on board you earn 4 hours of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave per pay period. Is this "better" than private? In some cases yes, in some cases no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Compensation is a very vague term.

Once u factor in benefits (paid 11 federal holiday vs only 5-6 paid holidays for private). Factor in health benefits which are more subsidized for federal workers spouses and family than the private industry. ).

Factor in some bogus 9/80 work hours federal workers do.

You get my drift. Plus many private sectors now roll sick leave with paid time off whereas federal place separate them plus temp disability.

It all adds up these "benefits" federal works get over the private sector.
I suppose you have some "facts" to back up your claims.

Just keep in mind I worked for both the private sector AND the fed so I know a little about both.

Out of curiosity, what is 9/80 and why is it bogus?

Here is just a sample of why I don't think you know what you are talking about?
Section 1
Holidays
The holidays are designated as: (Holidays to be listed by date in CBA)
New Year's Day
Veteran's Day (as per Ford Master Agreement for
actual day to be observed as defined for each year
of the Collective Bargaining Agreement)
Martin Luther King Day
Thanksgiving Day
Good Friday
Day after Thanksgiving Day
Memorial Day
December 24
Independence Day
Christmas Day
Labor Day
December 31

Looks like 12 days to me.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I suppose you have some "facts" to back up your claims.

Just keep in mind I worked for both the private sector AND the fed so I know a little about both.

Out of curiosity, what is 9/80 and why is it bogus?

Here is just a sample of why I don't think you know what you are talking about?
Section 1
Holidays
The holidays are designated as: (Holidays to be listed by date in CBA)
New Year's Day
Veteran's Day (as per Ford Master Agreement for
actual day to be observed as defined for each year
of the Collective Bargaining Agreement)
Martin Luther King Day
Thanksgiving Day
Good Friday
Day after Thanksgiving Day
Memorial Day
December 24
Independence Day
Christmas Day
Labor Day
December 31

Looks like 12 days to me.

Those aren't federal holidays. They must be state level holidays.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Lets see, are private sector companies looking at adding cost or cutting cost in these economic times?
Are companies adding benefits or cutting benefits in these hard economic times?
If the Federal employees are un happy with their pay and benefits they can do what Christie said get a job in the private sector. It is not like we have a shortage of people that are educated that could replace them. And those people would be appreciative of having a job considering the UE rate of college grads is near 4%.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

So *ALL* private companies only get 5-6 paid holidays? Interesting. All the private companies we deal with get 10 paid holidays also. The company I left in 2009 got 10 paid holidays. I agree that *some* companies only get 6 paid holiday--Costco is one of them. But you can't do that kind of comparison.

Can you prove that health benefits are "more" subsized for federal workers spouses and family than the private industry? My experience has shown that not to be the case. That same company I left in 2009, paid 70% of the premium for family policies and 75% for individual policies. Roughly the same that the FEHB pays now. Granted, *some* private companies do not chip in as much for health insurance as the public sector does. *Some* kick in more. My husband's private employer pays 100% of the premiums for his health care policy. That is for individual or family.

Tell me about this "temporary disability." I do not see in in the public sector. In fact, when I worked private sector, my private company organized a short-term disability insurance program for workers. It was voluntary and the employee had to pay the premium of roughly $9 - $14 per pay period. In the government, there is NO option to even purchase short-term disability. You must buy a private policy if you want it.

When you come on board you earn 4 hours of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave per pay period. Is this "better" than private? In some cases yes, in some cases no.
Exactly...

We get 12 paid holidays, 11.53 hours of PTO per pay period but no sick time and my company pays 90% of our health premiums.

Our company has free short term disability.

Holiday pay is double time and a half. Overtime is time and a half + $50 or $75 depending on the day of the week.

We get Christmas and yearly bonuses.

My friend works for the DOD. While his base pay is higher due to the type of job and his base pay is about 15k more than mine, my benefits kill his and I make pretty much the same as him. In 2012 I was behind him by like 1500$...

Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Lets see, are private sector companies looking at adding cost or cutting cost in these economic times?
Are companies adding benefits or cutting benefits in these hard economic times?
If the Federal employees are un happy with their pay and benefits they can do what Christie said get a job in the private sector. It is not like we have a shortage of people that are educated that could replace them. And those people would be appreciative of having a job considering the UE rate of college grads is near 4%.
This.

It's a recession. Nobody is getting raises. Federal employees are no different. Financially and benefits wise they're a lot better off than most Americans.

Maybe people will actually start thinking about the root causes of our economic situation now. Now that everyone is feeling the pressure.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It's a recession. Nobody is getting raises.
Says who?

Not every industry was hurt by the recession.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Yes I do. I took a job at NIH back in 2004. Know all the benefits.

My sister is with the FDA. Pretty high up at the FDA. Her salary is over $200k plus benefits.

U gotta remember private sector can mean many things. Some large corporations will offer nice benefits but not near as much as the government.

If you work for a smaller company (less than 100). Forget about benefits. Many will subsidize your health insurance about 70%. But family members get zero subsidy. It's the truth.

Let's talk about maternity leave. It's a dirty secret most women in the federal workforce (save sick days) plus vacation days plus temp disability and essentially can take 3 month off easily while getting their full pay. Try that in the private world.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Yes I do. I took a job at NIH back in 2004. Know all the benefits.

My sister is with the FDA. Pretty high up at the FDA. Her salary is over $200k plus benefits.

U gotta remember private sector can mean many things. Some large corporations will offer nice benefits but not near as much as the government.

If you work for a smaller company (less than 100). Forget about benefits. Many will subsidize your health insurance about 70%. But family members get zero subsidy. It's the truth.

Let's talk about maternity leave. It's a dirty secret most women in the federal workforce (save sick days) plus vacation days plus temp disability and essentially can take 3 month off easily while getting their full pay. Try that in the private world.

You are just spouting lies.

The highest paid in the GS scale is around $150,000. Here is a link (and I used the Washington DC chart which has some the highest paid). Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA - Annual Rates by Grade and Step

Your sister could be an SES level which is about $190,000. But those are fairly "rare birds" and not typical of regular government workers. You can compare them to CEOs of large corporations, which I assure you, make more than $190,000.

We've already shown one person on this thread who is getting more than federal service workers. There are plenty more and plenty that don't. Don't say ALL of them do not. That's BS propaganda. I worked for a company of 12 and got full benefits. So, you're wrong again. That said, I wouldn't DARE say that some people don't suffer with terrible benefits.

And you are still lying about the temporary disability. Putting that aside, if you manage to be a conscientious worker and save your sick and annual leave days, why would you NOT use them for maternity leave. But make no mistake, THERE IS NO TEMPORARY DISABILITY. Many private sector companies offer it. Go look on Northrop Grumman's website. A woman on maternity leave can get 6 weeks at partial salary for maternity leave and THEN she can use her saved up PTO.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
This.

It's a recession. Nobody is getting raises. Federal employees are no different. Financially and benefits wise they're a lot better off than most Americans.

Maybe people will actually start thinking about the root causes of our economic situation now. Now that everyone is feeling the pressure.

Plenty of private sector employees are getting raises. My husband gets one every year. My friend's wife who works for a newspapers got one. I know lots who get raises. I also know some who don't. Depends on where you live and what industry your are in. Please don't use blanket statements.

But back to the federal workers, personally, I don't think it's worth the effort for a 1% raise. Why bother? But easy for me to say, my husband still gets his raises. What do you expect the head of a union to say about a .5% - 1% raise? And most federal workers are not represented by the union. Only certain ones are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies