Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM

59,526 posts, read 27,669,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are some congressmen that have gone out of their way to make sure the ATF is incapable of enforcement as is the case with Todd Tiahrt from Kansas. All brought to you by the NRA's man of the year, seems like this should be an area for middle ground for both sides.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns - Tiahrt Amendment Facts: History and Effect
Being YOU brought this org up to substantiate your opinion, it is up to YOU to provide who these mayors are AND their political affiliation.

'Wanna bet the vast majority aren't liberal democrats?

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-11-2013 at 08:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,632,084 times
Quote:
I would love to know who those 500 dealers are, where they are located.
Why? You have no right to know this unless you are a LEO and have a relevant ongoing case.

Do you not understand the concept of innocent until proven guilty? Do you not know, unless these dealers are taken to court, any private information must remain private? This is how this society functions, and what our legal system is based upon.

Again read the 4th amendment. Yes there is a reason that we have the 4th amendment.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-11-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,875,241 times
Quote:
Fair point, but I have a feeling there is a reason many of these purchasers go back to specific dealers.
But if you are going to a corrupt dealer, you don't need a straw purchaser in the first place.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
But if you are going to a corrupt dealer, you don't need a straw purchaser in the first place.
Just to clarify, in a straw purchase, the dealer is in full compliance with the law. The dealer is making a completely legal transaction and unless the dealer knows it's a straw purchase, it is the purchaser who broke the law.

Since the dealer is in full compliance with the law, there's no reason to drag the dealer into this, not even to disclose the name of the dealer.

What the "Mayors for Gun Control" clowns want to do is to get hold of the names of those dealers and start to sue them in the civil court to put them out of business. This is a very malicious tactics because those lawsuits are groundless but the cost to defend them is astronomical, particularly when the typical civilian firearm businesses are small businesses. The whole civilian firearm industry is only 10 billion, which is tiny tiny compared to oil and gas or automobile industry.

Nobody, I do mean nobody, should be subject to this kind of malicious attack when they are conducting honest and lawful business!

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-11-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,875,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Just to clarify, in a straw purchase, the dealer is in full compliance with the law. The dealer is making a completely legal transaction and unless the dealer knows it's a straw purchase, it is the purchaser who broke the law.

Since the dealer is in full compliance with the law, there's no reason to drag the dealer into this, not even to disclose the name of the dealer.
I know, that's my point.

The corrupt dealers are selling directly to the criminals. No straw purchaser necessary.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM

The anti-gun crowd always bring up tobacco industry as an example, compared to civilian firearm industry. Well here are the differences:

1. The tobacco companies had systemically lied to consumers and covered up about how harmless smoking was. They should be sued to lose the last dollar they have. In the case of the civilian firearm industry, it is the anti-gun fanatics constantly lie through their teeth.
2. Smoking is not a right but keeping and bearing arms is.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM

16,828 posts, read 15,244,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Good, I'm all for it. Now just tell the NRA to stop putting up road blocks that keep the police from finding and prosecuting those illegal gun sales and shutting down those dealers who profit from those types of sales.

great, I hope that also includes the feds who do illegal sales and the like too. after all illegal gun sales and murder is a crime too.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM

39,947 posts, read 26,667,913 times
Quote:
The ATF has 5,000 employees, between the restrictions on inspections, number of dealers it's an impossible situation. You think you are going to get a warrant from a judge, please.
If it's true that there are 65,000 FLLs and that the "problem" ones are only 1%....or 650 dealers. Are you really saying that the ATF is so incredibly incompetant that with greater than 7 employees per "problem" dealer, they are incapable of doing their job?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM

39,947 posts, read 26,667,913 times
Quote:
I know, that's my point.

The corrupt dealers are selling directly to the criminals. No straw purchaser necessary.
Supporting evidence please. If so, if they are selling to known felons who are not able to legally posess firearms, they are committing a federal felony. In which case, as the NRA (and everyone with half a brain) has said, go and enforce the existing laws and bust these guys.

ETA:

Quote:
Quote:
A 1997 U.S. Justice Department survey of 14,285 state prison inmates found that among those inmates who carried a firearm during the offense for which they were sent to jail, 0.7% obtained the firearm at a gun show, 1% at a flea market, 3.8% from a pawn shop, 8.3% from a retail store, 39.2% through an illegal/street source, and 39.6% through family or friends.[94]

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 02-11-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 11:57 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,757,077 times
Quote:
Regarding points 1 and 2, why have I not heard one single gun grabber come out and address these? I've heard plenty about #3 in this list (background checks, see link), and of course those evil assault rifles, but nothing about the first two, which based on my research completely dwarf all else, as far as criminals having access to guns is concerned.

What we're looking at here is enforcement of current laws, plain and simple. It's staring you in the face. The VAST majority of gun crime is committed by people who already can not own guns under current law, acquired through the sources above. And you don't need to tell me that the ATF's hands are tied. I know they are. But if that's really your concern, why do I not hear about it? Ever.

My theory? It's not about solutions, it's about a nice tidy package that you can push through. That's the most easy and efficient way feel good about yourself, actual results be damned, and it doesn't require any actual thinking. Thinking makes the brain hurt after all. YMMV.

Fact Sheet: Illegal gun trafficking arms criminals & youth « Gun Victims Action Council

Actually (and this is from John Hopkins University):

At the time when they committed the gun crime leading to their incarceration,
only 27 percent of these gun offenders were prohibited from possessing firearms because they
had previously been convicted of a felony. Of these offenders, 60 percent could legally possess
guns prior to committing the gun crime that led to their incarceration
, including four percent who
had prior misdemeanor convictions involving violence and/or firearms, six percent convicted of
other misdemeanors, five percent convicted of a felony in a juvenile court, and 13 percent with
prior arrests but no convictions.

http://www.jhsph.edu/research/center...02512_CGPR.pdf

As I said previously, a gun criminal is a gun criminal only after he fires his gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies