Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
First of all no one wants to eliminate home schooling just have a check to make sure education is actually occurring with real test scores to back it up. Second of all, no, HC kids do not have a 98% college attendance rate (66% vs 58%) but bare in mind that most home schooled kids end up going to non-accredited private religious schools whose educational value is highly dubious (which is why so many religious "schools" are unable to get proper accreditation; when you refuse to teach modern biology or claim the Bible is all you need for every subject then you aren't educating anyone). BTW when you control for social0-economic factors (such as race and social class) home schooled kids do WORSE than public school kids. That's been proven over and over again.
That's not what I posted and even provided a link.

The particular HS group specific to SC that SC wants to ban has a 98% college attendance rate.
Shouldn't that be enough accountability to prove they are teaching the kids something ?
What they are seeking is that HS parents work through the schools or state groups. SC wants the independent groups out of the picture. Why if the outcome shows the kids are better prepared for college then their own public school system ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
It's easier for the government to brainwash and indoctrinate children into thinking that "government is great" if you force parents to send children to government run "re-education camps".
Bet you are a product of home schooling.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not sure that is a real number seeing it is hard to calculate the number of students that are home schooled and the number that apply for college, though it might be easier to count how many apply to college and get in, but that also doesn't tell you much.

If you look at the number of students that go to school through public or private over home school is going to crush the number of students that are home schooled in this country, which makes it near impossible to compare the different groups.

Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS News
(and yes I am aware this is from 2010, but I doubt there has been a huge change in these numbers.)
LOL, did you even read your own article? It shows homeschoolers winning in every academic category, and it had no problem comparing the the different groups.

From your article:
  1. Homeschool students earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
  2. Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
  3. Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
  4. Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
  5. Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).

Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I find it funny how much some neo-cons like Mike Huckabee push home schooling as if it's a realistic option for most people in 2013 America.
It's a realistic option for 1.5 million children according to urbanlife's article. And that was 2010, so there are surely even more today.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Doubt it. I teach them stuff at home that the propaganda schools don't teach. I love teaching them to love where they come from and the truth about things. This month happens to be "black history month" we are having a real blast learning the truth about King.
Based on your C-D history I shudder to think what you are teaching them. I guess if you are preparing them for the future you might want to send them to school wearing Justin Beiber tee-shirts and crocs. It will certainly toughen them up fending off the kids who will be beating them up. It will come in handy when they go out into the real world and defend themselves when they start to preach what they were taught at home.

Last edited by softblueyz; 02-12-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,202 times
Quote:
Bet you are a product of home schooling.
Nope, but given the current pathetic state of "public schools", homeschooling or a non religious private school are looking like better options for my son. Public schools are a joke.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
About time! Thanks for this good news. Maybe the kids of the nutjobs will get something other than Creationist religion pseudo-science, Bible-banging U.S. history, Survivalist freak "social" studies, and incredibly badly-taught math.

Back when I was teaching, two previously home-schooled kids were put in my class at different points in time, and they knew literally NOTHING of use. As if they'd been raised by wolves.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
LOL, did you even read your own article? It shows homeschoolers winning in every academic category, and it had no problem comparing the the different groups.

From your article:
  1. Homeschool students earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
  2. Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
  3. Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
  4. Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
  5. Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).
Actually I never said it wasn't good to homeschool or that they wouldn't do better than public and private school, I simply said it is near impossible to figure out if 98% go to college.

Also there is a huge difference with the two groups when one has under two million kids and the other has close to 100 million kids. Do you say a small town that has one murder in a year is crime ridden because that one murder gives it a percentage that is higher than a huge city that has 50-100 murders a year but a lower percentage?

Homeschooling works for those that wish to do it, but I see no problem for states to want to regulate them and have them pass the same tests that public and private have to do. Besides if you look at it this way, if homeschooling is better then they should be successful in passing these tests.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Nope, but given the current pathetic state of "public schools", homeschooling or a non religious private school are looking like better options for my son. Public schools are a joke.
Nope, haven't been in public schools for a while now. And there is nothing wrong with private education, it is up to the parent that can afford it to pay the full cost of sending their child to private school. And if you home school, they should have no problem passing the tests the state requires.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Actually I never said it wasn't good to homeschool or that they wouldn't do better than public and private school, I simply said it is near impossible to figure out if 98% go to college.

Also there is a huge difference with the two groups when one has under two million kids and the other has close to 100 million kids. Do you say a small town that has one murder in a year is crime ridden because that one murder gives it a percentage that is higher than a huge city that has 50-100 murders a year but a lower percentage?

Homeschooling works for those that wish to do it, but I see no problem for states to want to regulate them and have them pass the same tests that public and private have to do. Besides if you look at it this way, if homeschooling is better then they should be successful in passing these tests.
Not for one year, but if the small town has a history of a high murder rate over a 5+ year period than I would consider it more dangerous than a huge city with a lower rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies