Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,577,717 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/us...anted=all&_r=0

Quote:
On a central philosophical question of the day — the size and scope of the federal government — a clear majority of young people embraces President Obama’s notion that it can be a constructive force
My thought is that the Great Depression had a similar deep impact on young people then, too. The article talks about this attitude becoming permanent, and by analogy with the Depression generation it wouldn't be too surprising if it does. By the late 1950s, the laissez-faire policies of Coolidge and Hoover seemed hopelessly outdated, and following this generational logic, we might predict something similar by the 2030s.

In which case, the ethnic demographic changes in American politics, which we know are probably going to shift the political landscape in coming decades, are likely to be magnified by an ideological shift born out of a generation's youthful experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,520,929 times
The government has worked very hard to destroy any sense of self worth todays American youth carries. You're a helpless victim and only we can save you. It's been the same way with every oppressive government throughout history. Ruin the childs self esteem, separate them from family values, make them fight for your cause, sterilize them.

It's been a very rense and repeat method of governance through the 20th century and looks to continue through the 21st century as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
I agree Squarian. The way to change society is to influence the youth and make your changes as they grow older.
There's a government program for almost every facet of life now.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,212,498 times
I am glad that not all kids these days think the government is the solution, but instead they are the problem.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,756,284 times
Not all of us young voters support big government, and many of those that do change their minds as they grow up. My high school history teacher told us "if you're young and are not liberal, you have no heart, if you're old and not conservative, you have no brains." He was a middle-aged liberal, by the way, who said that every year he found himself becoming more and more conservative.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,466,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/us...anted=all&_r=0

My thought is that the Great Depression had a similar deep impact on young people then, too. The article talks about this attitude becoming permanent, and by analogy with the Depression generation it wouldn't be too surprising if it does. By the late 1950s, the laissez-faire policies of Coolidge and Hoover seemed hopelessly outdated, and following this generational logic, we might predict something similar by the 2030s.

In which case, the ethnic demographic changes in American politics, which we know are probably going to shift the political landscape in coming decades, are likely to be magnified by an ideological shift born out of a generation's youthful experience.
Interesting idea! This is also a generation that is less fiercely ''independent'' than the boomers, and is much more dependent on each other and relationships in general (for example, note the generational popularity of shows like ''Friends''). Also, as a landlord, I notice a big tendency by younger generations these days to wanna first run their housing choices past their friends and ''posse'', before making a final decision whether they want the rental or not. I get the idea they're a lot more comfortable with the idea of inter-dependency and collective responsibility.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Not all of us young voters support big government, and many of those that do change their minds as they grow up.
Of course - but if the article's suggestion is correct, it will be a matter of margins. Even a mere 5% shift in outlook is likely to have a profound effect on national elections over the next few decades.

Quote:
My high school history teacher told us "if you're young and are not liberal, you have no heart, if you're old and not conservative, you have no brains."
Your high school history teacher is, unsurprisingly, familiar with Winston Churchill quotes. Though apparently he never actually said ""If you're not a Liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a Conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."

And in any case, he would have been talking about the two main British parties of his own youth: when Churchill spoke of "conservatives", he did not mean what contemporary Americans mean by the term.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I get the idea they're a lot more comfortable with the idea of inter-dependency and collective responsibility.
It's probably chicken-and-egg: were they just like that, or did our hard times make them that way? But from the point of view of election results, it doesn't really matter, I suppose.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM

20,476 posts, read 12,402,260 times
ah the young.... thank God I grew out of that.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM

1,137 posts, read 973,044 times
These young voters are being taught that government is there to support them when they make ridiculously stupid decisions.

Supporting people and subsidizing their lifestyle is not a function of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies