Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You have a source for your 'facts'?

A dollar of money given to a private charity goes 2.5x farther than a dollar of tax money going to social programs. Arguments that government social programs are more effective than charities just shows how little a person looks at actual facts and figures.

I would absolutely give extra to charities if I had more take home pay. Not all of us are so selfish that we would blow the tax money on something else.
I posted a link. DO you have a source for your assertion. LOL, "if I had more take home pay". I thought you were the one making the big bucks b/c you work all the time? When do you think you'll make enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I posted a link. DO you have a source for your assertion. LOL, "if I had more take home pay". I thought you were the one making the big bucks b/c you work all the time? When do you think you'll make enough?
You posted a link to a BLOG. Hardly definitive proof.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,725 times
The min wage is whats called energy theft and it can be easily argued in the instance of an established profit successful company. Theft is theft...yuh cannot take something that does not belong to you...if it is argued that it is given freely...then we will need to see full proof...that there is any 'freedom at all....in a specific circumstance to choose. Min is meant for start up...slow buis ect...it is only a line which keeps the Co from going to jail. Its a grab and go culture now, including the people and their surviving energy, so what..? well then the given min is no longer applicable, plain and simple...most things are...greedy people will say anything to find an excuse to steal. I don't even need to read the thread because Ive known many...theft is theft...the culture is what it has evolved to....the law then...needs to evolve alongside...otherwise the society must agree it has no ethic and absolutely no culture and is in the state of collapsing for it, willingly.... These are so simple arguments.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
I'm appalled at the Empathy-challenged people on this thread. My father was a Republican elected official and he would roll over in his grave if he could see the Republican party now.
Taking money from hard working Americans who struggle to feed their families and pay THEIR taxes and giving it to leeches is not empathy.

Empathy is giving YOUR OWN money or resources to those that are disadvantaged.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Doesn't everyone have access to some sort of retirement savings plan? I know I contribute independent of my employer.
Yes, they do. It's called an IRA.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Welfare can be replaced by charity

Myth: Welfare can be replaced by charity.

Fact: Charity is too under-funded, too localized, too mismatched and too ill-suited to replace welfare.

Summary

Americans would have to make at least 10 times the donations they currently give to charity to fully replace government social spending. And there is no reason to believe that people who so bitterly hate paying taxes would gladly surrender an equal amount to charity. Arguments that charities can do the job better than government are na�ve - most charities are small, highly localized and ill-suited to responding to national disasters or shifting economic trends.
More myths. We don't need to replace the waste, fraud and theft that permeates federal welfare programs.

The reason charities work much better than government is that the are small and localized.

And there are many ways to encourage more charity. In fact, if tax payers kept more of their own money they would have tons of money for charity.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You have a source for your 'facts'?

A dollar of money given to a private charity goes 2.5x farther than a dollar of tax money going to social programs. Arguments that government social programs are more effective than charities just shows how little a person looks at actual facts and figures.

I would absolutely give extra to charities if I had more take home pay. Not all of us are so selfish that we would blow the tax money on something else.
Correct.

Government welfare has a huge overhead and huge fraud and huge waste and huge theft.

Private charities would do a much better job weeding out the leeches since they are smaller and more localized.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Post a real source. A blog is not a trustworthy news source.

There is no 'enough'. I will continue to be compensated in relation to the value I can bring a company. The idea that there is an 'enough' is fairly stupid. If I made millions every year I would give millions to those in need. As I have said before (and as you have ignored), some of us actually try to help personally instead of pawning the responsibility for helping the poor off onto someone else (aka, the government)

Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Correct.

Government welfare has a huge overhead and huge fraud and huge waste and huge theft.

Private charities would do a much better job weeding out the leeches since they are smaller and more localized.
"Private charities would do a much better job...."

I would drop 1 word "would". They DO a much better job already.

Most people haven't he slightest idea how many charities are out there and the tremendous job they do.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Taking money from hard working Americans who struggle to feed their families and pay THEIR taxes and giving it to leeches is not empathy.

Empathy is giving YOUR OWN money or resources to those that are disadvantaged.

One could say the same of housing and zoning codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies