Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I think the concept we are trying to get our heads around is that of "Self Sufffieciney"...earning enough to be self-sufficient.

WHich would be more than the minimum wage, ....or that.... the minimum wage should be flexible enough to reflect this concept.
Choice A is correct.

Minimum Wage was never intended for people to raise a family of four on.

Nor should it ever be.

People who try to do that on a long-term basis, are abusing their families.

See http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/1796036-minimum-wage-isnt-meant-living-wage-8.html#post28228692
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A FULL TIME minimum wage job pays about $15,000 per year. A rent of even $500/mo will take up almost half of that. There are not many places where one can rent anything more than a chicken coop for that amount. Food, maybe $50/wk/person if you're real careful. That's another $2600. Clothing and taxes are a couple of other necessary expenses.

One would be hard pressed to find an apartment in Portland for $500 a month. If they found one, it would probably be in a gang-infested free-fire zone.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
One would be hard pressed to find an apartment in Portland for $500 a month. If they found one, it would probably be in a gang-infested free-fire zone.
Sounds like a good reason to study hard, work hard, acquire skills and experience, and work your way up out of that minimum-wage job.

Which is what nearly all minimum-wage workers do.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
A minimum-wage law, is society's way of saying that jobs that are only worth a lower amount, aren't worth doing AT ALL. The law has the effect of eliminating those jobs completely.

When was the last time you pulled into a gas station for fuel, and somebody came out and asked if you wanted your windshield washed, tires inflated, and oil and engine-cooling fluid checked?

Such jobs are no longer done, at all. Because min-wage laws made it necessary for the gas station owner to raise his gas prices so much to pay the guy washing your windshield, that you would go to the station down the street instead, whose gas prices are a LOT lower and nobody washed your windshield.

Because YOU (not the station owner) decided that the extra money for gas, was more than you wanted to pay to get your windshield washed, tires checked etc.

I don't see hamburger flipping jobs going away in the near future.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I don't see hamburger flipping jobs going away in the near future.
Neither do I because there's really not much left.

The government either raises min wage or expands their social programs.
And they better do it quick because we have 11-20 million future citizens waiting in the wings for amnesty.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why is someone working only 40 hours per week if they are on minimum wage? And why aren't they renting a cheaper apartment with a few roommates?

I don't own a car don't have a license, and have a lot of daytime medical appointments. Clearly a minimum wage job is not going to offer more than 40 hours a week (min wage employers detest paying overtime; I got 48 hours one week and my employer made SURE I never got close to 40 hours again).

You think I can work more than 40 hours a week given my transportation and time constraints?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Lots of places now include internet and cable with your rent.
Cricket is a month to month cheap cellphone option..$35 and you get unlimited talk/text
You can even go cheaper with "pay as you go" cell phones which would allow you to eliminate a hard line to save money. I personally run my own PBX server for a home line for less than 100 bucks a year (call anywhere in the world) and have been toying with the same over a data plan over mobile phones

Point is, these are dirt cheap and if you "really" use them as need, you can pay next to nothing (ie have the cell plan I mentioned or just have a standard hard line at home).

Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
This would be more than enough for a single person or maybe even a couple in Ohio. But not sure abut adding kids to that.
Kids are a luxury. If you have kids and cant afford them on your living, you either work hard, or work smart. That is, you either work multiple jobs or you do something to improve the wage of a single job. I don't shed a tear over those who have kids and complain about income. They knew the risks before they took the act. Complaining about your poor wage with children in such situations is equal to complaining about the loss of your money at the craps table. If you weren't ready to lose money, you shouldn't have played the game.

Quote:
I'm on around $50/week for food as the max. I usually can get in below that.
Yep, you can get it really low if you learn how to cook and do some strategic shopping (couponing, etc...).

My wife and I eat very well with healthy and a variety of choices for around 300 a month. We even have the occasional Ribeye steak when it is on sale.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
I would like to see options for the people that actually have to pay it. Raise it to 12 dollars an hour but the employee will have to pay for their own workman comp. and unemployment insurance or just forgo it all together.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Low education
Low skill
Low motivation
Low pay....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Where I work, everyone is paid within a few cents of minimum wage and one-third of our employees have college degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies