Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's how. (In bold) Mom is supporting him. It's apples to oranges. He's not really supporting himself, nor should he be at this time.
No..if he weren't going to college I'm NOT covering him.
He could be there and doing the very same thing without college.

I'm not paying any bills besides tuition/books.

This is about living on min wage which he is.
Oh he is fully supporting himself.

And I will add IN BOLD..with NOT A PENNY OF GOVERNMENT MONEY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Guess they have two options: Since there is 24 hours in a day, maybe they need to work longer hours if they have not educated themselves to the point where they can live on what they make. Option #2, move to China where the jobs are. You can bet your boots they won't be making any $10 an hour there, they will be paid closer to what they are worth.

It is not the governments place to support those people who live beyond their means. As a tax payer why would I want to pay someone who was too lazy to get an education and a better paying job? As far as I'm concerned if you don't work, you don't eat.
Let me ask you another thing...

...How are people supposed to compete in global markets if many countries have difficult immigration policies?

..Hmm?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I'm calling apples to oranges here. This child has had a middle class upbringing. He's got "things" from when Mom was supporting him, my guess, electronics, stuff like that. It's not too hard to live on min. wage while in college, after all, you generally have no real needs other than the food, clothing and shelter. I figured it cost about $1000/mo for us to support our daughter while she was in college, taking the above into account.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

So he's a lucky bastard who get's to improve his education so he could make better than minimum wage, all because he was born to parents that not only value education but support it

Without the government money, a high school graduate living on his own would have to work 60 hours a week on minimum wage to be able to live (shelter and utilities, food, basic transport, and health insurance) and attend community college part time. Said student would take at least 6 years to graduate with a 4,0 gpa (good grades require time).

Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I'm calling apples to oranges here. This child has had a middle class upbringing. He's got "things" from when Mom was supporting him, my guess, electronics, stuff like that. It's not too hard to live on min. wage while in college, after all, you generally have no real needs other than the food, clothing and shelter. I figured it cost about $1000/mo for us to support our daughter while she was in college, taking the above into account.
Geeze Kat that is what this thread is about. That min wage is not a livable wage for families.

And no..I did not furnish his apt. Zero, zip, nada. He already had his own electronics from when he lived at home and worked. That's when you really have spending money and can build up a savings account.

I've posted this numerous times..a single person could do it but they would have very little in savings, no retirement money and be living a hand to mouth existence. And it would have to be in a low COL area.

A lot of it is also how you are brought up regarding budgets and managing your money.

A family could not without lots of government subsidies.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
So he's a lucky bastard who get's to improve his education so he could make better than minimum wage, all because he was born to parents that not only value education but support it

Without the government money, a high school graduate living on his own would have to work 60 hours a week on minimum wage to be able to live (shelter and utilities, food, basic transport, and health insurance) and attend community college part time. Said student would take at least 6 years to graduate with a 4,0 gpa (good grades require time).
Well let me clarify something. States, at one time, had prepaid tuition plans that you could buy.
I bought a 4 year university plan and 1 extra year. I locked in 1998 tuition rates. What is not used gets returned to me.

Used books go for $80-100 each at off campus bookstores.

With this crappy economy I told him not to rush through college. This semester he's taking 2 classes and working more hours.
Oh and he does miss the luxuries he used to have at home, but he's getting used to living on his own.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I don't own a car don't have a license, and have a lot of daytime medical appointments. Clearly a minimum wage job is not going to offer more than 40 hours a week (min wage employers detest paying overtime; I got 48 hours one week and my employer made SURE I never got close to 40 hours again).

You think I can work more than 40 hours a week given my transportation and time constraints?
yes, I think you can work more than 40 hours per week. I have personally worked between 75 and 90 hours per week for the last four years. I have very little respect for people who make excuses as you do instead of actually finding a way to make something of themselves.

Quote:
Q#1: We are still in recession, in case you didn't notice. Sometimes it's hard to do two jobs due to overlapping shift requirements, and believe me, from personal experience, these min. wage jobs are not real forgiving if you're late, or have to leave early. It's hard enough to get 40 hours in these minimum wage jobs.
I have worked and studied between 75 and 90 hours per week for the last four years to insure I could be successful. People either make excuses or try harder to make something of themselves. It isn't "hard to get 40 hours in minimum wage jobs". Why the hell are you ever late to your job? Why do you leave early? Take some ownership of your own life and show up to work on time. That is a pretty basic part of being a productive member of society.

Quote:
Q#2: Maybe they are supporting a family, already living with 3-4 "roommates" such as a spouse and kids.
So live with more. Do what is needed to support yourself. That is what the rest of us do.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM

The thing with working low skilled jobs for more than full time is that high skilled workers now need them because their own damn jobs got shipped overseas.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:12 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Oh great, raise the minimum wage and allow some CEO's pay to go from $30 million a year way down to $25 million a year?

Unacceptable. Trickle up has proved to be just the ticket to a healthy economy. Just look around you. Most everyone is singing in the rain.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Oh great, raise the minimum wage and allow some CEO's pay to go from $30 million a year way down to $25 million a year?

Unacceptable. Trickle up has proved to be just the ticket to a healthy economy. Just look around you. Most everyone is singing in the rain.
Now you know that no CEO is going to get their pay cut.
Prices will go up and people will get layed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies