Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 04:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am all for limiting the list of food items that people are allowed to buy with food stamps. However, the movement to make food in schools (which is subsidized by tax payers) more healthy, made right wingers have a fit! The right wingers accused government of dictating what their children should eat, etc.......Can't have it both ways.

Background & Analysis
Well they're not having lobster tails and Prime rib at school, are they ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So when the EBT card is used to buy Kraft Mac & Cheese, just how does that money get back to the farmer ?
I don't know the specifics as I don't work for the SNAP program. (I believe that's the official name now.) However, the purchase of the mac 'n cheese benefits the wheat farmer who grew the wheat for the mac, and the dairy farmer who grew the cow who made the milk to make the cheese. It also, obviously, benefits Kraft.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know the specifics as I don't work for the SNAP program. (I believe that's the official name now.) However, the purchase of the mac 'n cheese benefits the wheat farmer who grew the wheat for the mac, and the dairy farmer who grew the cow who made the milk to make the cheese. It also, obviously, benefits Kraft.
Government money did not buy that wheat. Private money did.
The government money is going to Kraft.

This is not the 1930's anymore and farmers aren't bringing their food into town to sell direct.

Now if you were to use your EBT card at a farmer's market then farmer's are benefiting.

Many commodities are harvested 6 months or longer before it makes it through the chain to your supermarket.
These farmers get the going rate at the time of sale and it's not Uncle Sam showing up at the sales barn.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Well they're not having lobster tails and Prime rib at school, are they ?
No, they are having healthy food and the right wingers are angry about it.
The right wingers are complaining that the government is dictating menus for school.

You totally missed the point!

GOP says healthier school lunches cost too much

Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Government money did not buy that wheat. Private money did.
The government money is going to Kraft.

This is not the 1930's anymore and farmers aren't bringing their food into town to sell direct.

Now if you were to use your EBT card at a farmer's market then farmer's are benefiting.

Many commodities are harvested 6 months or longer before it makes it through the chain to your supermarket.
These farmers get the going rate at the time of sale and it's not Uncle Sam showing up at the sales barn.
You don't think farmers get subsidies? I have a beach in Colorado to sell you! Plus, the more Mac and Cheese is sold, the more wheat and milk the farmer sells, and the more s/he makes. It gives them a market.

United States Wheat Subsidies || EWG Farm Subsidy Database
Milking the Customers: The High Cost of U.S. Dairy Policies | Cato Institute

Not to mention federal crop insurance, and many other ag programs.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Have any of you wondered why foodstamps went from paper to a debit card? It was so the banks could make money as well, but yet that conversation is missing from alot of peoples mouths.
Actually it was done at the urging of conservatives, to cut down on the cost of printing and mailing food stamps (the bank charges are cheaper then printing costs) and to cut down on fraud (i.e. selling food stamps for cash).

Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,553,153 times
Default Cliches

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
We're discussing cliches.

White urban people who adopt a mocking tone to feel smug and superior.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,553,153 times
Default Snap

One major recent change is that SNAP does count resources, so if you have $100,000 in the bank and you live on the interest and it is less that the gross income for SNAP, You can get SNAP>

Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Have any of you wondered why foodstamps went from paper to a debit card? It was so the banks could make money as well, but yet that conversation is missing from alot of peoples mouths.
I hadn't made the connection. You're right.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:03 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually it was done at the urging of conservatives, to cut down on the cost of printing and mailing food stamps (the bank charges are cheaper then printing costs) and to cut down on fraud (i.e. selling food stamps for cash).
<News Flash> They are still selling food stamps for cash! Are you sure that the bank charges are cheaper than paper? That seems a little odd consider bank charges can change at a given notice for the worst, or is this some excuse for certain politicains to pad their pockets with more bank money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies