Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,167,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I understand how someone who is gay will have a particular interest in news regarding their lifestyle.
Point well taken...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,443,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
3.5% is 11 million Americans.
... and that number is undoubtedly higher, as it takes a long time for a very large amount of homosexuals to admit to THEMSELVES that they are gay first before they would ever even say it outloud.

Between 3 and 5% has always been the most realistic number of homosexuals in the United States.

That extra 1.5% will also include people who live a lie their entire lives.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,310,760 times
I had just read a survey the other day, can not remember who did it, but the results were pretty much the same as Gallup. But I do remember in that survey it showed that about 9 percent had admitted to having a same sex encounter at least once in their adult life. But at any rate as others here have pointed out in this thread, this poll is contingent on those who actually will admit to a pollster they are gay. In my opinion there are more in the closet then out, especially as far as bisexuals are concerned.

One gay friend of mine always in a joking way says to married women, "you never know what the hubby is up to when he's out of the house". His reason for saying that, when he frequents the so called bath houses, he finds more hetero married men, then he does gay men.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,244,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Its more of a fixation of a large part of the "barely scratch the surface of research" voters, who take an "easy" topic to fight for like gay marriage and run with it. Ignoring the true problems this country faces. Not really having to work hard and inform themselves.(don't worry this is a problem on both sides)

That is where it becomes a problem. Awhile back I had posted a report of about how even though the actual population is only 3-4% gay, but if you polled the average american, the majority of people thought about 20% of the country was gay. You really think of this when you watch TV, seems most shows nowadays, have a huge "gay" message that in dis proportionally higher then reality. But whatever if people like to watch it, then they have the right to watch what they want.
Quote:
The 17th-annual "Where We Are on TV" report released Friday by GLAAD found that 4.4 percent of actors appearing regularly on prime-time network drama and comedy series during the 2012-13 season will portray lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender characters. This is up from 2.9 percent in 2011, which saw a dip in what had been a growing annual trend.

Read more: Study: Number of gay characters on TV at an all-time high | Fox News
4.4% of regular characters are gay.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,797,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
... and that number is undoubtedly higher, as it takes a long time for a very large amount of homosexuals to admit to THEMSELVES that they are gay first before they would ever even say it outloud.

Between 3 and 5% has always been the most realistic number of homosexuals in the United States.

That extra 1.5% will also include people who live a lie their entire lives.
And this doesn't include people who are technically bisexual.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,034,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
and 98% aren't Jewish
and 98% aren't Mormon
and 97% aren't redheaded
and 98% aren't Native American

What's your point?
I'm a redheaded Jew, so I make up like 0.0001% of the population... guess my rights matter even LESS than gay people's rights, huh?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,034,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You're full of straw men today, aren't you?

I don't care for Brussels Sprouts ... I think they are nasty tasting, and smell just as bad. Does that mean I'm a Sprout-o-Phobe ? Or that I hate green vegetables? No ... I just don't care for the taste of them. If you like them, fine. I have no problem with your eating them. Nor would I care to embark on a mission to teach children to dislike them either.

But just as you have a right to like them, I have a right to say they are the nastiest tasting things in the vegetable world. That's freedom!
Who's teaching "gay politics" in schools, anyway? If you're referring to the mere mention of homosexuals/homesexuality, that hardly qualifies... unless you think mentioning Nazis is pushing a Nazi agenda too.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,797,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a redheaded Jew, so I make up like 0.0001% of the population... guess my rights matter even LESS than gay people's rights, huh?
Don't feel bad. I technically make up 0.000001% of the population. I'm pretty rare.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 PM

15,124 posts, read 8,671,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
LOL. I used that very same analogy on another thread.

Where it breaks down, in your case, is that no one should have any desire to ban Brussels sprouts, the way you apparently want to ban same-sex marriage. Or have I misread you?
Let me be perfectly clear ... I'd rather ban Brussels Sprouts than gay marriage, because even the odor of those nasty things make me want to puke, while I really couldn't care less who marries whom, to be quite honest.

But here is my major problem with the gay marriage "political movement", which is exactly the same problem I have with every other political cause and agenda that emanates CONSTANTLY from the left. You people never stop demanding government intervention and interference in private matters that government has no business being involved in. It is 100% the opposite direction of where we need to be headed as a free society, and that makes you and your ilk the enemy of all of our freedoms, including your own! You just aren't smart enough to realize that, and too stubborn to listen. You're all just too self absorbed in your own desires and goals to realize the self destructive nature of your own actions and philosophy. And if you statist nitwits would simply shut up for five seconds and get a clue, what you might discover is that the true conservative-libertarian-constitutionalist philosophy would better serve your long term interests, because the moment government is kicked out of these private matters, then you wouldn't need to fight for any permission from government to get married, as that would be a totally private decision, where the government would have no say, either way. Why you cannot grasp this is beyond rational explanation.

There is an old axiom that says "a government powerful enough to give you everything, is also powerful enough to take everything away". And that is the danger you leftists represent. Contrary to your self aggrandized opinions of your superior intellect .. in reality, you're not the sharpest knives in the drawer, and you all behave like naive spoiled children, tugging at mommy's shirt, always whining about, or for something.

Now, you need no longer guess about my opinion on gay marriage.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Let me be perfectly clear ... I'd rather ban Brussels Sprouts than gay marriage, because even the odor of those nasty things make me want to puke, while I really couldn't care less who marries whom, to be quite honest.

But here is my major problem with the gay marriage "political movement", which is exactly the same problem I have with every other political cause and agenda that emanates CONSTANTLY from the left. You people never stop demanding government intervention and interference in private matters that government has no business being involved in. It is 100% the opposite direction of where we need to be headed as a free society, and that makes you and your ilk the enemy of all of our freedoms, including your own! You just aren't smart enough to realize that, and too stubborn to listen. You're all just too self absorbed in your own desires and goals to realize the self destructive nature of your own actions and philosophy. And if you statist nitwits would simply shut up for five seconds and get a clue, what you might discover is that the true conservative-libertarian-constitutionalist philosophy would better serve your long term interests, because the moment government is kicked out of these private matters, then you wouldn't need to fight for any permission from government to get married, as that would be a totally private decision, where the government would have no say, either way. Why you cannot grasp this is beyond rational explanation.

There is an old axiom that says "a government powerful enough to give you everything, is also powerful enough to take everything away". And that is the danger you leftists represent. Contrary to your self aggrandized opinions of your superior intellect .. in reality, you're not the sharpest knives in the drawer, and you all behave like naive spoiled children, tugging at mommy's shirt, always whining about, or for something.

Now, you need no longer guess about my opinion on gay marriage.
So you don't care if gays are allowed to marry but we shouldn't bother the government and burden them to make it legal?? The act of being able to marry now is purely a binding contract between two people that makes it easier for couples to take advantage of tax credits and allows them to combine their finances for future expenses.

Unless you are saying the government shouldn't be allowed to have any control on any marriage and you want to live in some hippie world where people just do what feels right. Yeah, I am okay with having a legal binding contract between my fiancee and I when we get married and I think gays and lesbians should have the same right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies