Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: If you support the redifinition of marriage, do you support consentual insest?
Yes, I support consentual insest. 48 36.64%
No, I do not support consentual insest. 83 63.36%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Incest relationships are often of dubious consent. I.e. Even as adults, should a old brother and younger sister's consent be applicable? Think of the power, money, etc of father over daughter. Consent is important, and incest and the ability to give consent should worry anyone and put this one on a quick train to "wait a minute".

Plus - really this is a pretty false dilemma. These are separate issues. You are locking these together in you rmind, but really - they aren't related. Unrelated same sex couples isn't close to incest.
^^This.

I was trying to say something similar last night and gave up. You did it better than I could have, Chris!

Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I defend marriage for unrelated men and women, in whatever combination desired, but not for individuals who are blood relatives.

Incest is not a choice about whom you select for a life-time mate, it is sexual abuse. And legalizing sexual abuse is not about to happen, and has nothing to do with allowing gays to marry.

How is two GROWN CONSENTING adults sexual abuse?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Whatever If you don't understand, which you obviously don't, I have nothing else. What a shame and embarrassment to have to explain this to you when so many already have.
Okay, then help me understand. It appears to me that you're saying "I believe in heterosexual and homosexual marrige because of marriage equality". "But I do not support consensual incest or polygmaist marriage".

Well guess what? YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN MARRIAGE EQUALITY.

There's no uch thing as "equality for some".

I can't make it any easier or clearer than that.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Defend this statement in bold. Tell us why.
I have, dozens of times. Again, the word equality is a real word and has a meaning:

e·qual·i·ty

/ɪˈkwɒlɪti/ Show Spelled [ih-kwol-i-tee] Show IPA
noun, plural e·qual·i·ties. 1. the state or quality of being equal; correspondence in quantity, degree, value, rank, or ability.

2. uniform character, as of motion or surface.

3. Mathematics . a statement that two quantities are equal; equation.

Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English < Latin aequālitāt- (stem of aequālitās ). See equal, -ity

Related forms pro·e·qual·i·ty, adjective
sub·e·qual·i·ty, noun, plural sub·e·qual·i·ties.

Synonyms
1. equivalency, parity, correspondence, sameness; justice, fairness, impartiality.

There's no such thing as "equality for some". Either you're for equality, or you're not. I'm simply holding you to your own standards. Defend your beliefs.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
I haven't read the comments, but the premise of this thread is stupid.
Then, with all due respect, you shouldn't have posted.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Don't bother. Gay marriage is going to happen in this country. Its just a matter of time. The train is out the gate, no matter how many silly fights people pick on message boards.

It's over. If the Supreme Court doesn't do it now, your kids will do it in 20 years - or less. Let it go.

Move on people, nothing to see here.
Fine, then so should consensual incest marriage and polygamist marriage. You can't have "equality for some".

Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Fine, then so should consensual incest marriage and polygamist marriage. You can't have "equality for some".
Who appointed you arbiter of all such discourse? How is it YOU get to decide what "marriage equality" means?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The logic isn't that we should not be telling anyone whom they should marry.

The logic is that the state has no interest in telling people of the same sex that they should not marry.

The state has an interest in incestuous marriages and plural marriages, because of the genetic issues of the first, and because of the financial complications of the second. There aren't any genetic issues or financial complications involved in same-sex marriage.

Why not?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who appointed you arbiter of all such discourse? How is it YOU get to decide what "marriage equality" means?

Okay, I'll try it another way. YOU tell me what the word equality means.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Okay, I'll try it another way. YOU tell me what the word equality means.
You first. You are the thread starter and you act like you own this thread, trying to be a mod and all. You don't really support equality; you support the current situation. I'm not getting into some p*ssing contest with you, where I post something and you fire back another of your witty comments. Some of us are able to see shades of gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies