Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Trying to appear presidential, and be seen as a wise and sagely leader of the nation was what FDR and Kennedy did with their public appearances. I think this trend started when Nixon made a cameo appearance on the variety TV show Laugh In. Then Clinton clowned it up with his saxophone playing and his appearances on MTV. Barack "Preezy" Obama has just taken to a disgusting level of shameless pop culture buffoonery.

We are a generous nation, and we provide a generous entertainment budget for the president and his family. I think this president and his wife are abusing that generosity, by adding tens of millions of dollars to fly them around, and provide security, so they can dance around and bump asses with comedians, as if they are Paris Hilton or the Kardashian sisters.
And here's the deal, your opinion is colored by your dislike of the President. That's okay. There were plenty of moments during the previous administration where I smacked my head when President Bush said or did something and I didn't agree with him. But I liked seeing Bush working on the ranch. I liked knowing that our Presidents were real people, had hobbies and interests, read books and golfed and attended church and had lives. I like it. I think most Americans like it. I think your criticisms are over-the-top. I think comparing the Obamas to Paris Hilton or the Kardashians is over the top. That's just my opinion, though, and you are free to ignore it, or to challenge it, or to disagree. But let's be clear, there seems to be a partisan edge to your complaints. It's okay for Reagan to introduce the Oscars, that doesn't demean his standing. It's okay for Laura Bush to appear on the Oscars, that doesn't diminish her dignity. But it's not okay for Presidents or First Ladies you don't like to appear on the Oscars. There seems to be something of a disconnect in your reasoning. But your feelings are yours. And most people don't share your feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
That quote from Obama "I won" comes to mind.
He did.
Yet you continue with your poutrage.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You've got to be kidding. Do you remember who started this petty, obsessive thread?
We have $16 trillion in debt, four years with trillion plus deficits, a president who demands tax increases and tells us we need to sacrifice, while he flies around like a pop star? No, it's not obsession, is disgust and anger that our president is spending us into debt while living like a freaking spoiled trust fund baby.

Is it too much to ask president Kardashian to sacrifice his pop culture lifestyle, while he bounces from one self-inflicted financial crisis after another?

Obama:

"Now, if Congress allows this meat-cleaver approach to take place, it will jeopardize our military readiness; it will eviscerate job-creating investments in education and energy and medical research. It won’t consider whether we’re cutting some bloated program that has outlived its usefulness, or a vital service that Americans depend on every single day. It doesn’t make those distinctions.

Emergency responders like the ones who are here today -- their ability to help communities respond to and recover from disasters will be degraded. Border Patrol agents will see their hours reduced. FBI agents will be furloughed. Federal prosecutors will have to close cases and let criminals go. Air traffic controllers and airport security will see cutbacks, which means more delays at airports across the country. Thousands of teachers and educators will be laid off. Tens of thousands of parents will have to scramble to find childcare for their kids. Hundreds of thousands of Americans will lose access to primary care and preventive care like flu vaccinations and cancer screenings"

Sounds dire eh? But this crisis he has created will not slow him down, he will fly around and hobnob with celebrities and billionaires, on our dime.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh please.

Nixon was on "Laugh In" which was the top-rated comedy show in the nation. He looked at the camera and said, "Sock it to me?" The phrase, and the show, was the epitome of pop culture. They doused a girl in a bikini with water, had go-go dancers, lampooned the Nazis, and had a Fickle Finger of Fate award. And we all knew *wink, wink* which finger was really the fickle finger of fate. The show was nothing BUT pop culture buffoonery.
Nixon wasn't the POTUS when he did that.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And you still believe that Reagan was nominated for seven Academy Awards? Your own link doesn't say anything about such nominations. Why don't you spin more fairy tales for us?
Ronald Reagan at Reel Classics
He was never nominated for any Academy Awards, but had the honor of serving as president of the Screen Actors' Guild, a precursor to his political career.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I remember his presidency.

Unfortunately.

And he WAS a crook. That's why he resigned. One step ahead of getting his sorry butt ejected from the White House.
Yes he was. Nixon is responsible for a lot of the damage to this country that we endure today.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
We have $16 trillion in debt, four years with trillion plus deficits, a president who demands tax increases and tells us we need to sacrifice, while he flies around like a pop star? No, it's not obsession, is disgust and anger that our president is spending us into debt while living like a freaking spoiled trust fund baby.

Is it too much to ask president Kardashian to sacrifice his pop culture lifestyle, while he bounces from one self-inflicted financial crisis after another?

Obama:

"Now, if Congress allows this meat-cleaver approach to take place, it will jeopardize our military readiness; it will eviscerate job-creating investments in education and energy and medical research. It won’t consider whether we’re cutting some bloated program that has outlived its usefulness, or a vital service that Americans depend on every single day. It doesn’t make those distinctions.

Emergency responders like the ones who are here today -- their ability to help communities respond to and recover from disasters will be degraded. Border Patrol agents will see their hours reduced. FBI agents will be furloughed. Federal prosecutors will have to close cases and let criminals go. Air traffic controllers and airport security will see cutbacks, which means more delays at airports across the country. Thousands of teachers and educators will be laid off. Tens of thousands of parents will have to scramble to find childcare for their kids. Hundreds of thousands of Americans will lose access to primary care and preventive care like flu vaccinations and cancer screenings"

Sounds dire eh? But this crisis he has created will not slow him down, he will fly around and hobnob with celebrities and billionaires, on our dime.
You hysterics reveal your complete lack of rationality.

Here's how you started your thread:

Quote:
Do these two people think we need to see their smiling faces on the TV in our living rooms every day? They act as if they were pop stars, and think their fans can't see enough of them.

Michelle Obama - unprecedented appearance on Oscars

and last week:

Michelle Obama dances with Jimmy Fallon - CNN.com

Don't politicians know that they are elected to act as public servants, and their families are not pop stars, and we work hard for the money that is used to fly them around the country. An entourage of fifty people prob follow the First Lady around, it's not free.
If it so bothers you that the First Lady is permitted to travel, perhaps your time would be better spent lobbying your congressperson to introduce a bill that states that a President and First Lady are not allowed to leave the White House except on obvious national business.

If you want to talk about the budget and the fiscal state of this country, there are plenty of other logic-driven threads on this forum where you an discuss those things.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
And here's the deal, your opinion is colored by your dislike of the President. That's okay.
And based solely on his destructive actions and deeds as president.

Quote:
There were plenty of moments during the previous administration where I smacked my head when President Bush said or did something and I didn't agree with him. But I liked seeing Bush working on the ranch. I liked knowing that our Presidents were real people, had hobbies and interests, read books and golfed and attended church and had lives. I like it. I think most Americans like it. I think your criticisms are over-the-top. I think comparing the Obamas to Paris Hilton or the Kardashians is over the top. That's just my opinion, though, and you are free to ignore it, or to challenge it, or to disagree. But let's be clear, there seems to be a partisan edge to your complaints. It's okay for Reagan to introduce the Oscars, that doesn't demean his standing. It's okay for Laura Bush to appear on the Oscars, that doesn't diminish her dignity. But it's not okay for Presidents or First Ladies you don't like to appear on the Oscars. There seems to be something of a disconnect in your reasoning. But your feelings are yours. And most people don't share your feelings.
I did not say Michelle disgraced herself, I even said as much in a response to your post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28426141-post235.html

My feelings on the matter, are that Obama needs to stop wasting our tax dollars, "during the worst economy since the Great Depression" while he and his wife selfishly expend millions of tax dollars going on and endless parade of entertainment shows, and tell us how we need to sacrifice.

It is wrong to compare the Obama's entertainment TV visits to Hilton or the Kardashians, since even they don't engage in as much hobnobbing as the Obamas. The lives of the rich and famous pale in comparison to Obama's.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:

I did not say Michelle disgraced herself, I even said as much in a response to your post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28426141-post235.html
I didn't say you did, did I?

By the way, the Kardashians have how many television shows donated to every detail of their lives? It's the fact that you actually say that the Obamas are more exposed than the Kardashians that reveals that you are over-the-top in your criticisms of the Obamas.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
It seems you have a problem with the president acting and operating as president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies