Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I honestly dont know. All I heard is that it would not be a block of days off, only 1 day a week for 22 days (I believe) so it would have minimal impact. 22 days off would be nice, but thats almost a month without a paycheck and that would suck, but one day off a week I can handle. A 3 day weekend would be nice though, well see.
Check on that, if you have a choice, look at a 4-day weekend every other weekend. Friday & Monday in each pay period. If you can do it, it would be great.
Or the other way around, but try for the 4 day weekends if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
They ARE paying most of the taxes. So? And? They are making nearly ALL of the money. Do you know the story of "The Widow's Mite"? A bad hedge fund manager can make more money than the most talented brain surgeon on the planet. Both of them make more money than a mid-level Civil Service functionary. Both of them will file very complex tax returns that shield a lot of income from prying government fingers. They will pay vastly more money to the IRS than the Civil Servant but the overall percent of their total income will be less than that paid by the Civil Servant. It sounds like you are a flat tax or no tax advocate... if no taxes how do you propose the government run? If no government, how do you propose the country run? Knowing people as you must, if there were no government, what would stop them from simply killing you and taking your house, or your car, or you old lady... whatever they wanted from you? If a flat tax... are you a hedge fund manager?? Any flat tax scheme is going to hammer low and mid wage workers while high income types laugh all the way to the computer. The quasi-progressive tax system isn't perfect but the answer isn't anarchy. The sequester had to happen because we don't have the collective cojones to TAP THE RICH PEOPLE!

H
So now you've decided that being successful (or like typical libs, are you going to say they're just "lucky"?), working hard and living smart should be punished? That if you make something of yourself, you will have your property seized, just because someone else didn't choose to live their life that way? I know I'm pretty sick of paying for poor people to live better than I do. Rich people do, but they've earned it. What have the poor done to earn MY money going into THEIR pockets?

Why do you libs think anyone wants no tax. That's just stupid. Flat tax? You bet. It's called fairness, and you libs are all about that, right?

No I'm not a hedge fund manager (what IS your obsession with that), but a flat tax IS fair. Unlike your obvious jealousy of anyone that has made money. Tap the rich - that's theft.

And let me take a stab at your occupation - government employee?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Check on that, if you have a choice, look at a 4-day weekend every other weekend. Friday & Monday in each pay period. If you can do it, it would be great.
Or the other way around, but try for the 4 day weekends if possible.
Why don't you govt employees create schedules that are convenient for your customers? This discussion really drives home the fact that you truly are in it for only yourselves. Service, my rear....

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I honestly dont know. All I heard is that it would not be a block of days off, only 1 day a week for 22 days (I believe) so it would have minimal impact. 22 days off would be nice, but thats almost a month without a paycheck and that would suck, but one day off a week I can handle. A 3 day weekend would be nice though, well see.

It's the exact same amount of money lost, regardless of how you parcel out the furlough days.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Remember we're in 150 countries. And the objective is what?
uhm...false number

we are only in 150 other countries as with the soldiers at the embassies

you really prove your ignorance to the subject here

Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
If you ran a business and could not afford your labor costs what would you do?
It's time the government started functioning more like a business, not welfare.
The public sector has to change. If not now when? Wait till our debt hits $20 trillion?
A business does not have the power of taxation, so the government cannot even act close like a business.

A business's reason for existence is to make money; the government does not have that reason to exist, it is not a profit making entity. For the reason alone, it is a ridiculous notion to suggest the government should be ran more like a business.

Also, which business do you suggest the government be ran like? Apple? One of the bailed out banks? One of the thousands that have went under? Ford? Tata? Enron?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why don't you govt employees create schedules that are convenient for your customers? This discussion really drives home the fact that you truly are in it for only yourselves. Service, my rear....
The managers are responsible to ensure that all government operations continue with minimal disruption. So if a manager decides that there is minimal customer service impact with a Friday and Monday furlough day, then there should be no reason why an employee should not be allowed to take that option.

Not every government employee is in a customer service role, I would guess most are not.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I wish the private sector would adopt the practice, when business drops by 20%, of cutting the work week instead of laying off the fifth they don't like. Government employees hsve it pretty good in that sense.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives once again proving how much they hate Americans who are unemployed.

I mean what is wrong with conservatives? Why do so many conservatives make so many posts attacking millions of Americans?

You can't go 30minutes without some conservative starting some post to attack and degrade some aspect of the American public.

Poor people, single moms, welfare, undocumented immigrants, unions, minimum wage workers, some anti-black people thread, etc.

Over and over again conservatives prove to any objective person that they hate.
Why are you attacking millions of Americans?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Remember we're in 150 countries. And the objective is what?
For all these people to have a job, it is Federal dollars going towards the parasites that feed off the Defense Dept. and run up the nations debt.

We therefore start wars without end (Afghanistan) and no end game, saying that the troops will be gone in 13 years, and by then we will find another teat, and another justification, for another lengthy occupation and years of bombing, strafing, detaining and terrorizing someone new.

God Bless Amerika.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies