Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,221,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
its possible to remake anyone

every so often on fox news , someone tells me that jesus had more or less identical politics to ronald reagan
So Jesus wanted to ban guns in public like Reagan did?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,550,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
So Gandhi supported gun rights, but he didn't support people using their guns, at least not in a violent fashion.

Now that is incredibly stupid
Self-defense against violence is not the same thing as perpetrating violence.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,123,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Ghandi said "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Do you dispute this?
Oh, Gandhi said it, except the context was during his difficulties he faced while attempting to help recruit Indian volunteers for the British Army during WWI.

The full quote:
"I used to issue leaflets asking people to enlist as recruits. One of the arguments I had used was distasteful to the Commissioner: 'Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. If we want the Arms Act to be repealed, if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity. If the middle class render voluntary help to Government in the hour of its trial, distrust will disappear, and the ban on possessing arms will be withdrawn.' The Commissioner referred to this and said that he appreciated my presence in the conference in spite of the differences between us. And I had to justify my standpoint as courteously as I could."
527chapter

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,068,137 times
If it wasn't for Hitler, India would still be part of the British empire. Gandhi was a great man but also a great example of how non violent movements are completely ineffectual.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:21 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,871,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, Gandhi said it, except the context was during his difficulties he faced while attempting to help recruit Indian volunteers for the British Army during WWI.

The full quote:
"I used to issue leaflets asking people to enlist as recruits. One of the arguments I had used was distasteful to the Commissioner: 'Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. If we want the Arms Act to be repealed, if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity. If the middle class render voluntary help to Government in the hour of its trial, distrust will disappear, and the ban on possessing arms will be withdrawn.' The Commissioner referred to this and said that he appreciated my presence in the conference in spite of the differences between us. And I had to justify my standpoint as courteously as I could."
527chapter
"If we want the Arms Act to be repealed, if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity. If the middle class render voluntary help to Government in the hour of its trial, distrust will disappear, and the ban on possessing arms will be withdrawn."

Yeah, quite the anti-gun activist we have here, right?

Sorry, my point stands. If anything you're backing me up. I am well aware of the context.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,871,120 times
Quote:
So Gandhi supported gun rights, but he didn't support people using their guns, at least not in a violent fashion.

Well, looks like my previous response was deleted because it was "rude".

I'll rephrase: No, it's not, you just aren't able to comprehend it.

Gun rights and gun violence are not mutually inclusive except in the minds of anti gun zealots.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 685 times
Question for you...

Gandhi had henchmen - that is agreed upon, but did they act on their own - or just following orders and if following orders - who gave the orders?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,236,183 times
Quote:
In the 1960's Southern Democrats were the conservatives. MLK wanted radical progress , how in the world is that conservative?
The 1960's Democrats hated the blacks, and to this day they still support programs that perpetuate their poverty.

Not much has changed in 5 years..

Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,504,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
MLK was a registered Republican.
MLK did not openly endorse either party. He did vociferously oppose Goldwater in 1964, however.

His father was a Republican until 1960, when he switched over the civil rights issue.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,236,183 times
Quote:

How does one use a gun to protect themself without becoming violent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies