Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,662,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Thanks! I'm glad I got away alive.

You know, KUchief is correct in one instance..girls should be raised to be self-reliant and confident. Unfortunately, I was not raised that way; my mother (a self-absorbed histrionic psycho) took every opportunity to belittle me when I was a child so I guess I was ripe for an abusive relationship.
If you grow up in an abusive environment, as I did, for some reason it seems that you frequently end up in abusive relationships. I know I did. And I didn't even recognize abuse as abuse! And took a lot of personal responsibility for it. I still fight that tendency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,663,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
More BS and crap from the left....... As if there wasn't law enough, and that somehow more law not enforced will help.

You lefty's are f*cked up bad.
Your ignorance is showing. Guess you didn't read the law.

Generally, there is more to a story than the headline, you know.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,663,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If you grow up in an abusive environment, as I did, for some reason it seems that you frequently end up in abusive relationships. I know I did. And I didn't even recognize abuse as abuse! And took a lot of personal responsibility for it. I still fight that tendency.
Yes. Thankfully, my daughters seem to be in good marriages. As for myself, I have not been in a relationship for over 20 years. Too afraid I'd just get into another bad one. Now, at 61 YO I really don't care! LOL

Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,971,704 times
Congratulations on your success Fox Terrier. It had to be more difficult than you say here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes. Thankfully, my daughters seem to be in good marriages. As for myself, I have not been in a relationship for over 20 years. Too afraid I'd just get into another bad one. Now, at 61 YO I really don't care! LOL

Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,470,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Then why is it called the violence against women act? Oh I forget to garner votes. Everything in that bill was already illegal. It screams women are victims. I guess you can't see it. I guess naming a bill violence against citizens act when it's already illegal wouldn't make any sense though. Especially for some who want to claim victim status.
I believe it originally only included women. As to why it hasn't been renamed, I think you're pretty much right. They put some gender neutral language in there to pay lip service to equality, but it's the "We Must Save the Women" aspect of it hat generates all the votes, the funding, the media attention, etc.

from domesticviolencestatistics.org:
Quote:
Domestic violence is considered one of the most pressing issues in American society. Everyone quotes the statistics given by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence: 1 in 4 women will be victims of domestic violence at some point in their lives, 1.3 million women are assaulted by their partner every year, 85% of domestic violence reported is against women. However, in a conflicting survey taken by the CDC in 2010, it was found that 40% of the victims of severe, physical domestic violence are men.
Despite many findings that show almost equal amounts of abuse perpetrated against men and women, the media and government focus the most attention on the female victims of domestic violence. Men are largely silent on the issue because of the perception that men are physically stronger and should be able to subdue a female attacker easily. Those men who do report physical violence are more likely to be ridiculed–both by law enforcement and by the public–than women are. More money is spent on women’s programs, and more crusades are launched on behalf of women who are victims of domestic violence despite the fact that men are almost equally or in some cases more likely to be victims of both physical and psychological abuse.
Although there has been an increase in the number of fatal domestic violence incidents against women, men are more likely to be victims of attacks with a deadly weapon. According to one study, 63% of males as opposed to 15% of females had a deadly weapon used against them in a fight with an intimate partner.
What is worse than the statistics, however, is the fact that there has been little research in the area of domestic abuse against men because neither the Justice Department nor any other agencies will fund such research. Because they refuse to do the research, people are able to perpetuate such myths as women are only violent when defending themselves, or that men could more easily leave a violent relationship.
Because of lack of funding, there are also few shelters that cater to men. Most shelters available will only take women and children, and some even have an age limit on the boys that they will take in (13 years old).

Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,133,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I believe it originally only included women. As to why it hasn't been renamed, I think you're pretty much right. They put some gender neutral language in there to pay lip service to equality, but it's the "We Must Save the Women" aspect of it hat generates all the votes, the funding, the media attention, etc.

And the sympathy...

For all the talk about ending the violence and the extreme number of resources for abused women and children, men get left in the cold.

But that just shows the law is merely political. Anyone crafting a law to truly end violence would address all domestic violence. Or at least attempt to.

Which makes this a bad law...

Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,662,514 times
Quote:

I would question the "finding" that equal numbers of men and women are victims of domestic violence. I haven't seen any data that supports that. Men dominate every other area of violent crime. Why would domestic violence be any different?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,133,812 times
Quote:
I would question the "finding" that equal numbers of men and women are victims of domestic violence. Men dominate every other area of violent crime. Why would domestic violence be any different?
While men do commit most of the violence, all violence. Men also make up the higher percentage of victims.

Individually, women may dominate in DV but overall men are more susceptible to violence.

And please, who HASN'T seen a woman smack, hit or verbally abuse a man.

Behavior that turns ghastly and despicable and unacceptable if a man does it to a woman.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,035,742 times
Quote:

The men need to man up according to the democrats and feminists most likely.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,035,742 times
Quote:
I would question the "finding" that equal numbers of men and women are victims of domestic violence. I haven't seen any data that supports that. Men dominate every other area of violent crime. Why would domestic violence be any different?
Of course you would. They are cutting into your victim status. Not fair!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies