Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM

31,009 posts, read 22,051,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Great post above, and I agree with this one as well.

What's funny to me as a black man is that during the slave days, blacks were punished severely for pursuing education or learning how to read. Now its other blacks who have used peer pressure to criticize and make fun of those trying to get ahead.
"peer pressure to criticize and make fun of those trying to get ahead" = 1850s Slave master
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Maybe because Black people as a group are following in the footsteps of us "Irish"? I say that because we filled up the jails back in the day. Tho many of us died for various reasons, the rest of us got the message and cut down the drinking, fighting, messing around and so on.

The Black WOMEN thing don't surprise me tho: it seems more and more of the ladies are stepping up and taking care of business. They had a huge role model for over 20 years: Oprah.

Something else: less Black kids are being born these days and the moms are doing a better job of raising them IMHO.
Yeah, they're being aborted by the thousands. I'm not sure that results in a net positive on society when Personal Responsibility On The Back End™ is the order of the day.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
That's a good development. I guess that some have slowly figured out that sitting in a prison for 20 years and living in a living hell is not an option. Better to live in a mild hell than a harsh one. Poverty is still better than being confined to a steel box. The American prison system is bizarre in it's scope and size. There are more people locked up in America than the population of some countries. It's a huge embarrassment. It's not a normal state of affairs...but there is no nipping it in the bud approach. Thirty years ago when gang began to form in poor black neighborhoods..They should have been shut down with full force..even if they had to use the military. Instead they let the disease grow...in the name of constitutional freedom.

The reason there was no political will to clean up poor black hoods 3o or 40 years ago - now you see the results of not caring for people just because they were black. Racism and it's horrible effects stretched into the future...as we see with black incarceration...This could have been prevented if whites showed just a little bit of love and respect 40 years ago...but they did not. Whites did not know any better and did not look into the future to she what the results of their indifference and spite would be...millions of black people in storage.
Pure hog crap. It's not white peoples' responsibility to make sure black people don't break the law.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 671,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This trend likely has more to do with budgets than actual crime statistics.
Yep, the article is about incarceration rates (demographics of who is actually going to jail). If there were also a downward correlation in arrests, charges filed, trials and indictments, then we'd be talking more than trash...

Incarceration numbers can arbitrarily race shift over time based on the mindset of the judiciary.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM

24 posts, read 36,362 times
Quote:
Maybe because Black people as a group are following in the footsteps of us "Irish"? I say that because we filled up the jails back in the day. Tho many of us died for various reasons, the rest of us got the message and cut down the drinking, fighting, messing around and so on.

The Black WOMEN thing don't surprise me tho: it seems more and more of the ladies are stepping up and taking care of business. They had a huge role model for over 20 years: Oprah.

Something else: less Black kids are being born these days and the moms are doing a better job of raising them IMHO.
This is so true. When one looks at the stats, more and more young black women are foregoing having children. I think many of us have simply learned that it's best to pursue our education. Many of us have seen our mother's struggle with raising children alone and we don't want a similar fate.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 PM

24 posts, read 36,362 times
Interestingly, the article points out that white incarceration rates have gone up. Apparently, the increase in incarceration primarily pertains to white women.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/us...ort-shows.html
Quote:

The decline in incarceration rates was most striking for black women, dropping 30.7 percent over the ten-year period. In 2000, black women were imprisoned at six times the rate of white women; by 2009, they were 2.8 times more likely to be in prison. For black men, the rate of imprisonment decreased by 9.8 percent; in 2000 they were incarcerated at 7.7 times the rate of white men, a rate that fell to 6.4 times that of white men by 2009.

For white men and women, however, incarceration rates increased over the same period, rising 47.1 percent for white women and 8.5 percent for white men.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,747 times
I will bet my bottom dollar that my home state of Washington will report a big drop in black incarceration rates in the next two years. Why? Because we passed a law that has been the biggest liberation of American blacks since the civil rights movement:

Washington Initiative 502 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Maybe because Black people as a group are following in the footsteps of us "Irish"?
I can't tell you how I appreciate that recognition of how other former oppressed minorities ruled the crime statistics before rising within the overal society.

I might add that I will bet a dollar to a dime that the equalization of sentencing for cocaine possession had a great deal to do with the change.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Great post above, and I agree with this one as well.

What's funny to me as a black man is that during the slave days, blacks were punished severely for pursuing education or learning how to read. Now its other blacks who have used peer pressure to criticize and make fun of those trying to get ahead.
2 words: "crab pot".

I Repped you too.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yeah, they're being aborted by the thousands. I'm not sure that results in a net positive on society when Personal Responsibility On The Back Endâ„¢ is the order of the day.
Uh; please DON'T imply that Black ladies don't believe in protection or maybe NOT having sex. The abortion rate is going down too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies