Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 AM

2,645 posts, read 1,853,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
So you want to wear diapers, drool all over yourself, and be a burden to your family?

Nice.

I guess that's fine if it's your call. That's the beauty of a free country. You get to choose. Well.......until 0care kicks in.
But, the lady in question, was in the dining room. Sounded like she was just doing her thing, having a meal. I hope my kids don't say, "oh, well, don't blame the nurse." The daughter sounds like she could not be bothered, oh yeah she is a nurse, too.

Lots of great nurses, but these two have either seen too much and are cold when it comes to saving lives. (What is their job?) The woman was a human being, someone could have helped her. Maybe, she had lots of good years left.

The 911 dispatcher sure tried, how she must have felt. Just when you think you have heard everything, along comes sink holes and nurses with a 'tude. Very scary times; guess our communication systems are bringing more to light. You know this stuff has happened before.............thanks to the media, facebook, etc. we can be more aware of what is happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,016,548 times
Later news reports do not mention the DNR status of the patient.
So, WAS there actually a DNR on file?
We do not know.
It was mentioned once in a news report, that's all we know.
Perhaps it is not mentioned now because it takes away some of the sensationalism.
We can't know that, either.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,890,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
We were told that if we were out in public and someone collapsed and needed CPR, and noone told us if there was a DNR, then do CPR until the ambulance gets there. More than likely the hospital will know this, or find out, and then the hospital staff will not continue life saving efforts.
Were you told that you MUST do CPR?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,963,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
If the nurse had performed CPR, broken a rib, punctured the lady's lung, blah blah, she could be charged with murder. Negligent homicide. Involuntary manslaughter. On ad infinitum.
The nurse would have been protected by California's Good Samaritan statute (Health & Safety Code §1799.102).

Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I come from a family that does all it can to take care of it's elderly. So does my husband. I took care of my grandma and changed hers, wiped her drool, fed her, bathed her and gave her her meds. It was not a burden. My paternal grandma did these things with the help of a home health nurse for my grandpa. Same for my husbands grandma and grandpa. When my paternal grandma fell ill, my dad and my aunt cared for her with the help of hospice, in her own home. She was able to pass away at home in her own bed. I'm glad my family isn't the sort to find others a burden. Those old timers changed my diapers and wiped my drool when I was a baby. Just returning the favor.
As for me, I want to die while I still have an ounce of dignity and something to pass on to my children other than burden.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,963,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Were you told that you MUST do CPR?
In general terms, there is no common law duty to 'rescue' another person unless you have a special relationship with that person or you are a first responder and have been called to the incident.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,136,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The nurse would have been protected by California's Good Samaritan statute (Health & Safety Code §1799.102).
Quote:
1799.102. (a) No person who in good faith, and not for
compensation
, renders emergency medical or nonmedical care at the
scene of an emergency shall be liable for any civil damages resulting
from any act or omission. The scene of an emergency shall not
include emergency departments and other places where medical care is
usually offered.
This subdivision applies only to the medical, law
enforcement, and emergency personnel specified in this chapter.
(b) (1) It is the intent of the Legislature to encourage other
individuals to volunteer, without compensation, to assist others in
need during an emergency, while ensuring that those volunteers who
provide care or assistance act responsibly.
Nurses in facilities are not covered by this...

Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,708,733 times
Quote:
I come from a family that does all it can to take care of it's elderly. So does my husband. I took care of my grandma and changed hers, wiped her drool, fed her, bathed her and gave her her meds. It was not a burden. My paternal grandma did these things with the help of a home health nurse for my grandpa. Same for my husbands grandma and grandpa. When my paternal grandma fell ill, my dad and my aunt cared for her with the help of hospice, in her own home. She was able to pass away at home in her own bed. I'm glad my family isn't the sort to find others a burden. Those old timers changed my diapers and wiped my drool when I was a baby. Just returning the favor.
There's certainly nothing special about you. I, too come from that kind of family, and I was also primary (only) caregiver of a dying friend, not even family, just friend, whose family didn't want the hassle. Wiped his butt, fed him, etc.

That doesn't make us special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Nurses in facilities are not covered by this...
Sad, isn't it, when people bloviate about Good Samaritan and don't even know what it means.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
In general terms, there is no common law duty to 'rescue' another person unless you have a special relationship with that person or you are a first responder and have been called to the incident.
This nurse did not have a "special relationship" with that person as it is the policy of her employer NOT to do CPR. I am sure this policy was spelled out to residents in the lease.

Frankly, I don't blame the institution for this policy. If they commit to doing CPR then they would have to have advanced life support equipment available, maintenance of that equipment, regular recertification of the nurses in CPR and ACLS, liability for failed CPR attempts, etc.......

Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,136,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This nurse did not have a "special relationship" with that person as it is the policy of her employer NOT to do CPR. I am sure this policy was spelled out to residents in the lease.

Frankly, I don't blame the institution for this policy. If they commit to doing CPR then they would have to have advanced life support equipment available, maintenance of that equipment, regular recertification of the nurses in CPR and ACLS, liability for failed CPR attempts, etc.......
You don't need all of that. You will never see ACLS in nursing facilities. DEFINITELY not in Assisted Living.

People forget, there are levels of care.

Residential homes, independent living and assisted living are NOT nursing homes and they definitely are not hospitals. In many cases they are even regulated by different government agencies and rules.

For example, in my state nursing homes are regulated by the Dept of Health whereas residential, independent and assisted living are regulated by the Dept of Social Services. In some they are the same but have different regulations.

They are completely different. Assisted living by definition does not provide the level of care people are screaming about.

People also don't seem to realize that CPR without AED has a sub-10% success rate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies