Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,696,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A woman checks into a residence where she must first sign a statement acknowledging that no medical staff is present to treat you.

Then one day she collapses. She is still breathing, her heart is still beating.

911 is called. The dispatcher goes crazy. Listen to the audio, the dispatcher went crazy, trying to get someone to give this living and breathing woman CPR.

The ambulance arrives and loads this living woman up and goes to the hospital.

She dies at the hospital.

Some of you may insist that you would try to give CPR to a living breathing person. I would not.

I was trained NOT to give CPR, unless a person needed it. I do not care what the dispatcher was begging for. If a person has a heart beat, you DO NOT give chest compressions.

That makes perfect sense and is acceptable to me.

That dispatcher was nuts, imo. Squealing like a pig. It was not her job to give orders. It was her job to dispatch, doh! I can see the dispatcher giving helpful instructions IF ASKED. I assume they're trained to help deliver babies, yada yada. She wasn't asked for anything but an ambulance.

I have a feeling when the dust settles, the bawling media is going to look pretty silly passing judgement without knowing the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,665,550 times
A thread that goes on and on, and nobody really knows the true story until all the facts come out.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,449,439 times
We are in a highly litigious society. Also jobs are hard to come by. The nurse did the right thing.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,947,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
We are in a highly litigious society. Also jobs are hard to come by. The nurse did the right thing.
There is a difference between the 'right thing' and the 'legal thing'. The nurse might be looking at a decidedly uncomfortable future.

12,770 posts, read 11,583,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That makes perfect sense and is acceptable to me.

That dispatcher was nuts, imo. Squealing like a pig. It was not her job to give orders. It was her job to dispatch, doh! I can see the dispatcher giving helpful instructions IF ASKED. I assume they're trained to help deliver babies, yada yada. She wasn't asked for anything but an ambulance.

I have a feeling when the dust settles, the bawling media is going to look pretty silly passing judgement without knowing the details.
If all you want is a dispatcher, get Life Alert.

13,887 posts, read 13,696,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Not according to the article in post #2 (you did read it didn't you?).

"Fire officials reported that the woman died at the hospital."
Well, good. They they are the ones that should have resuscitated her. The nurse is off the hook. The lady was alive and breathing when she turned over control.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,947,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Well, good. They they are the ones that should have resuscitated her. The nurse is off the hook. The lady was alive and breathing when she turned over control.
Sounds good in theory. But will the DA see it that way?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,865,909 times
Quote:
Not according to the article in post #2 (you did read it didn't you?).

"Fire officials reported that the woman died at the hospital."

That is because when paramedics arrive at a scene, they immediately do CPR until the patient is "pronounced" dead at the hospital. If the lady was not already dead at the home, why on earth would she need CPR???

Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,865,909 times
Quote:
Sounds good in theory. But will the DA see it that way?
Absolutely! Can't have it both ways. Either the old lady died at home or at the hospital.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,390,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
When I am as old as 87, I can only hope that I would die as quickly and as peacefully as that lady did. The last thing I would want is some "enthusiast" jabbing my broken ribs into my liver and dying painfully.
Then you should have your DNR appropriately documented.

I called an ambulance once for an elderly woman who was ill, even the Director of Nursing was carrying on about her DNR. Namely, that she didn't have one. But she's been here for almost 2 years! What do you want me to do, she doesn't have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies