Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times

Advertisements

Swirling controversy has long surrounded Harry Potter books and parents who question the hidden messages in the famous books.

But the debate is over. The science is in, and there is a consensus that reading Harry Potter can in fact cause harm to children:

Fire-fighters free Harry Potter fan, 3, from traffic cone 'wizard hat'! (broken link)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
At least it is getting kids to read! Traffic cone wizardry indeed.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:35 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
I keep hearing about so called "religious" people wetting their pants over the HP series.

I have to admit, I know many Baptists, Presbys and Catholics and the like and none of them said a peep about HP.

My evangelical friend's kids read the books as well as my son.

Where are all of these outraged people? Are there many? Do they really exist?

Last edited by doc1; 10-24-2007 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: spellin'

Old 10-24-2007, 11:38 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

Were are all of these outraged people? Are there many? Do they really exist?

There's fringe everywhere. Unfortunately, even when ignored it seems they don't go away.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I keep hearing about so called "religious" people wetting their pants over the HP series.

I have to admit, I know many Baptists, Presbys and Catholics and the like and none of them said a peep about HP.

My evangelical friend's kids read the books as well as my son.

Were are all of these outraged people? Are there many? Do they really exist?
I don't know if they were outraged or not, but once they hear of the traffic cone incident, all doubts about the dangers of the HP books will be gone. Someone has to stop Harry Potter before another innocent child is headconed after reading the books!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
In my day it was coneheads!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
In my day it was coneheads!
They were just a dangerous prequel to Harry Potter, designed to soften up Americans to the dangers that would soon be brought to them straight from Harry Potter. Everyone was warned of the dangers that were infiltrating America back then, and they didn't listen. Soon, everywhere you look you will see headconed children struggling to fight off the evil pain and suffering brought forth by Harry Potter's headconing movement...

Old 10-24-2007, 12:50 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
The cone story was funny, but the real HP controversy continues. Now there are actually some who are up in arms over Rowlings' revelation that Dumbledore is gay. How could this possibly make any difference to anyone reading these books?

doc1- you asked where these people are located? We threw our daughter a Harry Potter birthday party a few years ago, in Nashville, and one mother called to ask what exactly was involved. When I told her there was a magican coming to perform some Potteresque tricks, we'd play some Potter-themed games, then have cake. She said she'd bring her daughter at the end just for cake, and that's exactly what she did. That's life in the Bible Belt!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:54 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
. Someone has to stop Harry Potter before another innocent child is headconed after reading the books!!!
I live in NJ. We're just the type of state that will come up with some kind of stupid legislation to protect us from dangerous traffic cones.

Some political hack's relative will get 2.6 million dollars to do a "Traffic Cones and the Danger to Our Children's Heads" study.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
Quote:
We threw our daughter a Harry Potter birthday party a few years ago, in Nashville, and one mother called to ask what exactly was involved. When I told her there was a magican coming to perform some Potteresque tricks, we'd play some Potter-themed games, then have cake. She said she'd bring her daughter at the end just for cake, and that's exactly what she did. That's life in the Bible Belt!
LOL, I can relate....we are having a huge Harry Potter shindig for my son who is turning 9 this weekend. One of the kids we sent an invite to, his mother is sorta the same way you mentioned, but being that the kid lives in the same neighborhood, we kinda felt we needed to invite him, even though we were sure he wouldn't come. The mom called yesterday to say he wouldn't attend (but I was expecting that anyways).
My hubby will be Hagrid, I will be McGonagall, my mom will be Deloros Umbridge, sister in law-Professor Trelawney, etc, you get the picture...We are having a muggle Quidditch match, and we're so excited. We're all big Potter fans. Can't wait!
But I read about the kid getting his head stuck in the cone, poor fella...and then the announcement Dumbledore is gay...can anything else negative about Potter come up before our big party??? I'll be lucky if we have any kids show up at all...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies