Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,626,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
The point is he can make anything sound like the truth. And agreeing with him is what a lot of people did on WMD and the democracy pitch for Iraq. We all know now it was a smoke-screen. And I will let you know that at that time I thought it sounded as ridiculous as this Cuba speech does today.

My point of bringing this up is to shed light that he is doing it again. He is stirring another pot so that he can get something out of it, and spend more of our money.

I just don't think he knows how to live in peace, how to live and let live. Or how to go about doing the right thing without lying to those who would believe him.

I agree that after 9-11 "something" needed to be done. But come on! Couldn't the great minds of our country have come up with something better than Iraq? And now he is making noise for Cuba when we have so, so, many other things going on. We have caused so much trouble. And the people who believe what comes out of this guy's mouth? I really feel sorry for them.
Gezz! We sent them a really nasty letter saying we were gonna tell their mommies on them first. We only attacked when they sent it back unopened. What more do you want?

The WMD gag is getting old. Nobody questioned them while Clinton was in office. Had Clinton sent someone looking for them the rhetoric would have been they are hiding them. If Clinton had invaded them the rhetoric would have been He sold them. We don't know and probably will never know if they were real or bluff, if he sold them or they were hidden well.

If you walk in to rob a store it really does not matter if your gun is loaded or not as long as the clerk thinks it is. Why should it matter if the clerk shoots you and then finds the gun is a empty BB gun?

Most things in political speeches are for political mileage, why be worried about it? You can find these same tactics on every side in politics. Others have pointed out that his comments were factual and your responded that he can make anything sound like the truth. It should be easy to make the truth sound like the truth, but in politics that is often not the case. I would take that as a big compliment to ol' GWB Jr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 04:36 PM

294 posts, read 437,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Huh?

no "travel embargo" there becasue you cant get into North Korea...there borders are locked down by themselves

Why? Because the Waltons are heavy political $$$ contributors?

no becasue the economic tie in with the united states is so closely interweaved it is scary, also the fact that they can raise an army that matches our countries population. i dont like china and they wil be our down fall.

Start with the fact they're a bunch of lying, two faced hypucrites and go from there. It used to be a news fixture, these supposedly pious, devout Muslims whoring around Monte Carlo and other world playgrounds. And then we could go on to their funding of radical Islamic schools, teachers of hatred of America, in Pakistan...................

cant argue those points. but its not the govt who funds the "hate schools" so to say. we are in total agreement on these guys, but for the moment each side (us and them) is playing nice an dthey are not advocating our destruction in the govt, they may not like us, but they know they need us
they are less of a problem then anywhere else, even though we agree on these facts. same with pakistan. and everybody wants to hammer them the most while overlooking syria, iran, jordan and lebanon. other then the idividuals who are saudis that govt isnt giving us a whole lot of grief

like i said i am not a huge fan of the saud's, but they are the least of a threat at the moment..lets deal with the other guys first

Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,661,576 times
Quote:
no "travel embargo" there becasue you cant get into North Korea...there borders are locked down by themselves
No, that's not the reason. Americans can get tickets to the annual 'mass games' through a company called Koryo Tours. There is no embargo on this. There is no travel embargo on Burma, or Iran, or Syria, or Equatorial Guinea, or Uzbekistan, or any other repressive regime... but there is one on Cuba.

Travel bans are silly, and they don't work. The US government actually knows this - it's just that the one travel ban we DID implement - the Cuban one - is held in place by some rather bizarre politics. Unfortunately, Bush has shown himself unwilling to rise above those politics toward a saner engagement policy.

I can't think of any serious political scientists or other experts who still support the travel embargo. It's a bad policy, simple as that, and should be repealed today. I don't think anyone seriously disputes that anymore.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:03 PM

294 posts, read 437,957 times
never said there was an embargo ont that....try getting into N korea any other time.

and I am not disagreeing with having an embargo on cuba, i would actually like to visit some place other then gitmo sometime.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 PM

Well, the embargo doesn't actually WORK, you can fly into Cuba from Venezuela or something with no worries, but it's just a silly inconvenience.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,162,254 times
Actually I think you can fly into Cuba from several of the Islands, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, the embargo doesn't actually WORK, you can fly into Cuba from Venezuela or something with no worries, but it's just a silly inconvenience.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:14 PM

You can fly in from anywhere, but US Homeland Security has info-sharing deals with Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, and the few other places. To be on the safe side, many travelers to Cuba from the US avoid those countries for purposes of travel to Cuba. Venezuela is a good starting point. Brazil, too, but that's further away.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Fascinating piece of information. Several of my former colleagues flew in from one of the Islands; can't recall which one. So, what you're saying is that these colleagues are now on some USHS list?

Quote:
You can fly in from anywhere, but US Homeland Security has info-sharing deals with Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, and the few other places. To be on the safe side, many travelers to Cuba from the US avoid those countries for purposes of travel to Cuba. Venezuela is a good starting point. Brazil, too, but that's further away.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
So, what you're saying is that these colleagues are now on some USHS list?
Depends on the country and the airline. Usually it doesn't matter, but if the government hates you for some other reason, they can always pull up something like that and try to hit you with the $10,000 fine.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info. They are both physicians but rather left of the USHS.

Quote:
Depends on the country and the airline. Usually it doesn't matter, but if the government hates you for some other reason, they can always pull up something like that and try to hit you with the $10,000 fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies