Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,553,153 times

Advertisements

I worked as a reporter for many years investigating "grass roots" political organizations and NGOs. This included attending many of their meetings.

The goal of gay marriage is to eliminate the 501c3 designation for churches, using as a precedent, The Supreme Court decision against Bob Jones University. (look it up)

That is why is must be marriage, but a civil union or other legal concept. The goal was start in CA, so that the case would be heard by the 9th circuit. A gay couple would ask to be married in church, and if they were turned away, they would sue. (See the Supreme Court decision against Bob Jones University.) Prop 8 was a setback for this plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
I worked as a reporter for many years investigating "grass roots" political organizations and NGOs. This included attending many of their meetings.

The goal of gay marriage is to eliminate the 501c3 designation for churches, using as a precedent, The Supreme Court decision against Bob Jones University. (look it up)

That is why is must be marriage, but a civil union or other legal concept. The goal was start in CA, so that the case would be heard by the 9th circuit. A gay couple would ask to be married in church, and if they were turned away, they would sue. (See the Supreme Court decision against Bob Jones University.) Prop 8 was a setback for this plan.
Wow! You really believe that?!!! I personally know quite a few gay Catholics who seem to love that church even though it publicly humiliates them at every turn. It's not a bad idea what you present, but wouldn't it also backfire by making the taxing of pro-gay orgs legal?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Wow! You really believe that?!!! I personally know quite a few gay Catholics who seem to love that church even though it publicly humiliates them at every turn. It's not a bad idea what you present, but wouldn't it also backfire by making the taxing of pro-gay orgs legal?
I believe there will be some gay activists who will sue the churches that refuse them a marriage ceremony when homosexual unions right to marry becomes a civil right. If it ever does.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:11 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
That's a bit different since the church's policy could be that you have to be a member of their church (i.e of that faith) to get access to marriage services. In other words, they can legitimately say they're not discriminating against anyone according to race/sex or sexual orientation as outlined.
But the synagogue (at least in Reform sects - which this synagogue is) doesn't require one be Jewish to join the temple... all are welcomed, provided they are respectful and open to Judaic teachings/services. They also allow interfaith couples to JOIN, just not to have their actual weddings performed by the Rabbi. My sister is married to a non-Jew, and they belong to a different synagogue without restrictions on her husband. So while I get your point, that would be inconsistent with the requirements for membership.

Quote:
This would be harder to get away with if a homosexual belongs to that church and they try to refuse him or her marriage. It could go something like the baker refusing to make a cake for the homosexuals (despite there being many bakeries that would sell, these cases still get brought up and litigated so expect the same for churches). In other words, I do anticipate this will be challenged and brought to the USSC but I envision it won't be upheld. Almost definitely someone will try. A lot of activist homosexuals are very intolerant towards religion.
A lot of homosexuals (both activist and otherwise) are religious themselves, and many many churches are gay-friendly these days. So why on earth would they even WANT to join a non-friendly church, let alone want their special day to take place in one? I think this is unfounded paranoia, and highly doubt it will ever become a real issue.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I believe there will be some gay activists who will sue the churches that refuse them a marriage ceremony when homosexual unions right to marry becomes a civil right. If it ever does.
They could certainly try, but they wouldn't be successful. In the catholic church for example, they can refuse to marry opposite sex couples for such reasons as "they've already been married once and divorced"- a big scam. My sister married and divorced an abusive husband. Years later when she wished to re-marry, our cousin who worked at the chancery had to put in a good word for her so that she could get married in the church "for a suggested small donation to the church" of course The same thing happened to my other sister's sister-in-law who married a previously divorced husband. What these religious ppl won't do so that they can stay in their church

I don't understand it, but it's important to them.

The church could just as easily say that they don't believe in it and refuse to perform the services, unless they wish to make a big donation

Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But the synagogue (at least in Reform sects - which this synagogue is) doesn't require one be Jewish to join the temple... all are welcomed, provided they are respectful and open to Judaic teachings/services. They also allow interfaith couples to JOIN, just not to have their actual weddings performed by the Rabbi. My sister is married to a non-Jew, and they belong to a different synagogue without restrictions on her husband. So while I get your point, that would be inconsistent with the requirements for membership.
Some who belong to the Catholic faith don't have the luxury to switch (unless they're fine with belonging to another church of christianity) but more to the point: activists will deliberately do this to challenge the issue as this will be the next step on the civil rights staircase. Ask yourself what would happen to a church these days who refused to do a marriage ceremony for an interracial couple?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

A lot of homosexuals (both activist and otherwise) are religious themselves, and many many churches are gay-friendly these days. So why on earth would they even WANT to join a non-friendly church, let alone want their special day to take place in one? I think this is unfounded paranoia, and highly doubt it will ever become a real issue.
In progressive parts of Calif, you can even find gay friendly churches. The gay people that attend these churches are really not "the protesting type". They merely want a place to pray and worship while not really paying attention to what the evil pope is saying about them.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post

If I were your editor, I would say..."Its a little thin. Make the connection from legal same-sex marriage to elemination of the 501c3 designation. Then I'll see about running the story."

Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Some who belong to the Catholic faith don't have the luxury to switch (unless they're fine with belonging to another church of christianity) but more to the point: activists will deliberately do this to challenge the issue as this will be the next step on the civil rights staircase. Ask yourself what would happen to a church these days who refused to do a marriage ceremony for an interracial couple?
There was never anything in the Bible concerning mixing of the races in the religions except mormonism. There are actual parts of the Bible that decry same sex activities along with other things. The church could point to this and base their decision on those parts of the Bible alone.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
In progressive parts of Calif, you can even find gay friendly churches. The gay people that attend these churches are really not "the protesting type". They merely want a place to pray and worship while not really paying attention to what the evil pope is saying about them.
Yup, and I did actually include that (about gay-friendly churches) in my post.

We have a ton of gay-friendly churches here, in fact I would say the non-welcoming ones are in the minority. I personally know quite a few gay folks who attend them, and as you said, they're merely looking for a place to worship - just like any straight person who joins. The "militant activist" types are pretty rare, even here in the Bay Area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies