Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:08 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Letter from teacher to her school board is getting thumbs up from teachers across the country. I for one never bought into this school reform movement they always seem to blame the teachers but rarely focus on the home or community.
‘I have had enough’ – veteran teacher tells school board

Quote:
I feel that we as teachers have really had enough, and that someone needs to finally speak up. My name is Abby Breaux and I have been teaching for 25 years in Lafayette Parish, yet no one in this room knows me because no one here has ever come to the schools in which I’ve taught and just asked me, “What do you as a teacher think?”

If you really want to change one thing in our school system-start with discipline: SIMPLE nothing else, just DISCIPLINE. Follow through from first grade on up to twelfth grade. Be consistent, give consequences. Teachers should not be repeating rules to the same students over and over again. If you would listen to experienced teachers who have good discipline, it works and learning is going on. No fancy programs, no bells and whistles, just the teacher in charge. Stop moving students from school to school. This just dilutes other schools!

You are hiding the problems-NOT solving them! The same students that we saw get away with the “little infractions” over and over, and over again, are the same students that end up in the paper under “local arrests”. We are not here to be popular or please parents, we are here to teach children. Small things like uniforms, gum chewing, and tardies may seem small to you, but to a classroom teacher they are the small things that lead to larger problems like disrespect. If you don’t back us up on these issues, the students know it and lose respect for us. Don’t give in half way through the year, or keep changing things. Follow through. Back your teachers up! You have taken our “power” away. No Discipline=No Teaching-Period!

You have basically taken “morals” and work ethics out of ours schools, yet now our tax money is paying for students to go to private schools where they teach morals and work ethics. I believe we should bring BOTH back to our schools, and this will bring our students back as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i dont blame the teachers for the problems in our school system, i blame the administrators at all levels. they are the ones that set the policies, not the teachers.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:41 PM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Regardless of the authenticity of this letter I have to agree with the concept. We have went from a family oriented, hard working and God fearing moral nation to a nation of dope smoking free radicals that think pi$$ing on the flag, gay sex, social hand outs are normal. society is basically morally and ethically bankrupt. What do you expect and we will pay the price soon.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:21 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You have basically taken “morals” and work ethics out of ours schools, yet now our tax money is paying for students to go to private schools where they teach morals and work ethics. I believe we should bring BOTH back to our schools, and this will bring our students back as well.
This is it in a nutshell.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Excellent letter. Discipline and follow through is the key. Administration needs to back the teachers also.

My children went to private school until 8th grade. Part of that reasoning was the discipline and the fact that they wore uniforms. Peer pressure was eliminated until high school - at least with that stuff.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Teaching starts at home.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont blame the teachers for the problems in our school system, i blame the administrators at all levels. they are the ones that set the policies, not the teachers.
Agreed. But 90% of teachers blindly follow.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Getting rid of the DOE would be a good start. One size does not fit all.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I think it is more of a "failure to follow gets you fired," especially true, if not tenured nor in a union.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I think it is more of a "failure to follow gets you fired," especially true, if not tenured nor in a union.
jet is right. unfortunately teachers are not really allowed to teach properly these days. they are forced to follow the stated curriculum the school board sets down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies