Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Agreed. But 90% of teachers blindly follow.
No they don't. They may agree or disagree with a school's policies, but they are contractually bound to follow them. If they veer too far away from them, they stand a chance of losing their job.

Teachers are just like you and me, Sam. They all have brains, opinions, beliefs, and values that differ in them just as much as in the rest of us. How many of us blindly follow 90% of anything? That's a silly claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont blame the teachers for the problems in our school system, i blame the administrators at all levels. they are the ones that set the policies, not the teachers.
Teachers, and public employees generally, have become the 'whiping boy' of people frustrated and who don't know how to right the wrongs they see in society. This is misplaced anger. Teachers are hugely important in our society, as are most public employees. Nobody is perfect. Including the critics.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Teachers, and public employees generally, have become the 'whiping boy' of people frustrated and who don't know how to right the wrongs they see in society. This is misplaced anger. Teachers are hugely important in our society, as are most public employees. Nobody is perfect. Including the critics.
When teachers and public employees do something wrong, they deserve to be called out on it. It's only misplaced anger if it is misplaced. Directing anger at teachers and public employees is not inherently misplaced. The antics of teachers in Wisconsin, for example, were deplorable and they deserved the anger directed their way.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
Great letter. Start off by separating gender from 13-17 so the new dean of discipline can get down to business right away. plus outlaw comp device including teacher apparatus and projects, and put them all in rows. Run it with obedience like an army. There are many creative ways to get what u want. Dress codes included. Don't worry they will look forward to the dance and u can let them rip a little without saying...many advantages re seperate gender...thats the problem today a weird social suggestion of gender association, so the distraction needs to be removed firstly, that way you get the known 'bent influence of the social out of the environment. Narrow the doorway on competitive aspiration ... Each gender is left with themselves, to what..? understand themselves. ...a good candidate for Dean of Discipline would be an x navy seal type guy, suit and tie who creates the impression he's totally PO with life and in total control of himself....and he must not ever, sway out of character, thats the job...including addressing full assembly from time to time...esp day 1. Balance the temperament and get control....Yuh gotta put a bit of a show on for the youngsters at this age. It works.

Last edited by stargazzer; 03-10-2013 at 11:11 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Teaching starts at home.

one of the many reasons I homeschool.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
i told folks long time ago, putting kids in "time out" does not work.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i told folks long time ago, putting kids in "time out" does not work.
Right?? I got spanked & slapped, I turned out just fine. Parent's are such wimps nowadays. Too busy being friends w/their kids instead of parents & then they turn around & place the blame on everybody else but their own kids.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Frustrated because the real issue is how these kids are raised at home.

I got told "F* you" by a student when he was on youtube instead of the right software program.
I wrote him up. He told the principal he said it to the computer, not me.
I know what he said and who he said it to and why he said it.

My word vs his. He won
And now I'm in a worse position with this student because he knows he has the upper hand and he knows that I know it too. Now he can youtube all he wants and not do his work.

This is what you have today in schools. Incidents like this is what teachers have to deal with.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I can still hear the echo of the book ringing down the empty hall as it connected with my backside after all these years.

You can bet I never did what got me in trouble again.

I never whispered a word of it to my parents either.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Good letter and spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies