Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Who is talking about Chavez? What the OP is really talking about is the progressive era theory that it is better to have a healthy and educated workforce. Its so effective even countries with poor civil rights records like China and Venezuela can benefit.

It is also really in poor taste to not acknowledge why such people feel like they must turn to people like Chavez. We gave them no better alternative than merchant rule under the likes of Untied Fruit company which was a governance roundly condemned by Adam Smith in his observation of the British companies. That is what the classical enlightenment and progressive era was all about.
Was the enlightenment era all about installing rulers who amass a personal fortune measured in 10 figures while shutting down freedom of speech? Cause that isn't what I got out of enlightenment thinking. Progressive thing, yep this fits progressivism like a glove. But enlightenment, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Was the enlightenment era all about installing rulers who amass a personal fortune measured in 10 figures while shutting down freedom of speech?
Is that what conservatism in El Salvador was about?

Quote:
Cause that isn't what I got out of enlightenment thinking. Progressive thing, yep this fits progressivism like a glove. But enlightenment, not so much.

You don't even know what progressive era is. Why? probably because we have undone much of the idea of an educated populace. Its closer to teaching how to count in a North Korean total control zone.

The babbling fallacy of composition confirms it.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Everybody gets to live on the hilltops in Chavez's social paradise!
That reminds me of how liberals debate with sloganeering and emotionally provocative nonsense.

And here is a picture of East St Louis.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM

57,298 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
That is the way it has been for decades, not just under Chavez, sorry you are disappointed that those are'nt sparkling high rises, after all he's had over a decade. Tell me, did you have the same outrage for his so called democratic predecessors that preceded Chavez, they were the ones that made sure those slums were built. The wealthy class controlled the newspapers, the oil fields and gave nothing in return, but they didn't insult the US, they loved them.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM

57,298 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Was the enlightenment era all about installing rulers who amass a personal fortune measured in 10 figures while shutting down freedom of speech? Cause that isn't what I got out of enlightenment thinking. Progressive thing, yep this fits progressivism like a glove. But enlightenment, not so much.
So now it's 10 figures, make it 20, the sky is the limit, if you repeat something often enough it becomes fact.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:06 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That is the way it has been for decades, not just under Chavez, sorry you are disappointed that those are'nt sparkling high rises, after all he's had over a decade. Tell me, did you have the same outrage for his so called democratic predecessors that preceded Chavez, they were the ones that made sure those slums were built. The wealthy class controlled the newspapers, the oil fields and gave nothing in return, but they didn't insult the US, they loved them.
Let me tell you about the boiling outrage I feel for this subject. It's so outrageous that I found myself making a comment... on a forum!

But I suspect things will be different now that we've had this discussion.

I call first dibs on the Pantanal!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Is that what conservatism in El Salvador was about?

You don't even know what progressive era is. Why? probably because we have undone much of the idea of an educated populace. Its closer to teaching how to count in a North Korean total control zone.

The babbling fallacy of composition confirms it.
Your pretentiousness would be more impressive if I actually had used the fallacy of composition.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
so I take it you would prefer them to live on the streets instead?

Milton Friedman would like that - he'd turf the barrio dwellers out in order to build a few high end condos - all in the name of supposed 'progress'.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

Milton Friedman would like that - he'd turf the barrio dwellers out in order to build a few high end condos - all in the name of supposed 'progress'.
Good idea. I'm sure they'd appreciate living in high end condos more than barrios. Friedman was a compassionate person so I wouln't put it past him to endorse building some good housing units for these people. And the construction would create jobs and benefit the whole economy.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

Hmmm... living on the streets of an American city or the Barrios of Caracas?

I'll take the streets here. I've lived in a South American Hellhole before; Los Norteamericanos no reconozcan sus suerte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies