Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
That's actually an unconstitutional restraint on free speech, and the city would almost certainly lose in court if the ruling were challenged.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
We dont need to see any red,white and green flags flown here in the USA....It offends me.
So much for the 'Land of the Free', huh?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:04 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You two have your personal opinions, but I'm speaking of conservatives in general... and in general, the times I've had this discussion the others disagreed. Heck, I have even heard conservatives say they (Latin American or ME flags) shouldn't be flown outside of people's HOMES!

Case in point, and I'm pretty sure this poster is a conservative:
Well there you go again, blanketing all conservatives...when will you ever learn?

If a private establishment wants to fly a country flag, (like the pub in the OP), the government should not have the right to tell them they can't do that.

And it's from FL...I find this laughable considering how many different country flags are all around Miami.

C'mon, get a grip people. It's private. fricken. property.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
... in Atlantic Beach, Florida. A local ordinance prohibits the commercial display of any flag except the Star-Spangled Banner.

Culhane's Irish Pub Atlantic Beach: Popular Florida bar forced to stop flying Irish flag days before St Patrick's Day | Mail Online

Should governments have the right to prohibit the display of foreign flags?
I'm reminded of the line from Blazing Saddles:

"We'll take the n*ggers and the ch*nks, but we won't take the Irish." lols.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,286 times
From what I understand - if a people march in a parade, fly a flag to honor their heritage, and they are here legally - then it's simply that - honoring their heritage.

But, if they are marching down the street carrying their flag, and they are here illegally - it's a freaking invasion.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nope, I dont care what flag is flown on private property. but only the american flag flown on state and federal property.
No state flag? But I thought you were all about states' rights?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
It's a city ordinance.

IMHO, I don't see the harm in it, just fly the stars and stripes above the Irish flag.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 AM

14 posts, read 17,637 times
its weird that the issue is always money. its okay to fly your Irish flag when its not a commercial season, but as soon as you can gain favorable financial advantage it's an issue. How unfortunate.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Funny. In most of these cases where someone will post that someone is being stopped from flying "the flag" we learn that it's part of an overall scheme prohibiting all kinds of flags and signs or something like that.

Here we have a specific prohibition of speech based on the content of that speech. This is clearly unconstitutional.

All you conservatives who are saying that this prohibition is wrong, would you support the ACLU if they take the bar owner's case and sue the city?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 AM

116 posts, read 93,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Funny you would say that, because it's pretty much ALWAYS a conservative who whines about Mexican (or any Latin American or Middle Eastern) flags being flown publicly. Guess the rules change when we're talking about the Irish, huh?
Haven't you heard? White is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies