Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

People dislike congress, but like their congressman.

So everyone in California wants to tell Tennessee what to do, just like everyone in Tennessee wants to tell California what to do. Instead of saying compromise, deal, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Default 90% reelected?

I think we reelect our congress critters because we prefer the devil we know to someone new. I also think it is because a successful Congressman brings a lot of Federal money into their district and effectively bribes the voters with jobs.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,247,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

So everyone in California wants to tell Tennessee what to do, just like everyone in Tennessee wants to tell California what to do. Instead of saying compromise, deal, etc.
^--- This, plus Apathy, plus being deluged with massive amounts of information.

People working with kids don't have lots of spare time to bother researching real facts, so they believe what they hear/see through political ads and talk show "interviews".

Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Default Op

You are correct. Just ask any advertizer.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
^--- This, plus Apathy, plus being deluged with massive amounts of information.

People working with kids don't have lots of spare time to bother researching real facts, so they believe what they hear/see through political ads and talk show "interviews".
And what's wrong with that?

It's opportunity cost.

There is nothing wrong with letting the people living their life that they want without thinking of the consequences, because if the consequences get unpleasant, then the people will correct it, when the time comes.

...Most people would rather pay a pound for a cure.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Do you even bother to vote? Is calling everyone stupid the only solution?
Stupid, ignorant people who vote to reelect these clowns, that is why we are screwed. The political elite want to ignorant voters to vote, they are the ones who tell everyone that they have a civic duty to vote.

I have ignorant voters as relatives, they don't know who Reid or Pelosi are, get their news from late night talks shows and comedians like Bill Maher. these people pay only scant attention to the news and political campaigns.

If a politician can get elected by playing to vast numbers of ignorant people, then all they need is to spout colorful rhetoric, promise a rose garden, and the ignorant voter will vote for them. Then the news media can simply repeat the simplistic rhetoric and the stupid voter thinks it's been vetted and given the blue ribbon of approval by a vast network of researches and crack-fire analysts over at NBC, CBS, ABC etc...

Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
I always enjoy reading these "I am so superior to the vast majority of the American people" threads. I am gratified that so many of the intellectually gifted bother to descend from Olympus to sit on their butt in front of a computer screen and enlighten the rest of us, all day, every day, to the neglect of work or family.

Say, when did the American people become idiotic? Surely, it is not a recent phenomenon.

Perhaps in the 1930s and 40s, when so many Americans served their country in WWII (whether at home or at war), and yet kept reelecting their favorite public officials (including, of course, FDR)?

Or should be go further back. Perhaps the time of the Founding Fathers is the only period of American history that our resident eggheads approve? Of course, many politicians were elected repeatedly by the great unwashed (literally, in those days), so that cannot be right. Indeed, if George Washington had not declined a third Presidential term (hence setting a precedent) then I imagine many of the succeeding presidents would have had a third term.

There must have been some point when Americans became idiots. I mean, our land would not have risen to be a Great Country if everyone were idiots for the past two centuries, right?

I shall come back later and be enlightened.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Do you even bother to vote? Is calling everyone stupid the only solution?
I believe that it is important to gather all the fact before proceeding. I believe a populace that continues to, according to many established metrics, disapprove of their government while voting 90% back into office qualifies to establish the nature of the electorate. If anything its understated since incumbents also die and retire, or are caught with a live boy or a dead girl. And we wish to present this gift elsewhere? Better we give them an empty continent I think like we had.

And you must be worse than me, given the charge that being a critic is of little use, for you are a critic's critic, but then I am no critic's critic's critic, only a mere critic.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What I cannot understand, and I will return with a Federalist paper quote that proves the founders did not anticipated this either when I find it, is how 90% return to office?
Ask people what they think of the education system and they will tell you it's bad. Ask them about their local schools and they will tell you they are fine.

Ask people what shape the environment is in and they will tell you it's bad. Ask them about the environment in their city and they will tell you it's good.

Ask people what they think of Congressmen and they will tell you they are corrupt. Ask them about their particular Congressman and they will tell you he does a good job.

That's how 90% return to office.

The real question is how awful are the 10% that get booted?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

And since we are all the worse for it how about rekindling that whole 10th amendment thingy?

Maybe they was just joking?

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

Or maybe not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies