Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,238,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
As intelligence is more a measurement of the ability to learn and the fact that all American school children DO learn the Bill of Rights I would say that it is a direct measure of a person's intelligence. One should be able to get most of them and they should absolutely know what the Bill of Eights are generally.

Of course, one would have to make allowances for memory issues and such.

If it were something such as mathematics I would tend to be more lenient as that involves a specific form of intelligence.
Well, I'm a physiochemist, which requires at least some intelligence (granted, I don't expect to reach the intellectual heights of the average P&C CD poster), but I could not recite the bill of rights in its entirety nor do I have recall of most of my social studies. OTOH, my father could. I think interests come into play here.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM

990 posts, read 941,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Bill Maher challenges the idea that the US is a smart country on Fox News. After being called a pinhead by Bill O'Reilly, he comes back with a defense of his statement by referencing some interesting statistics.

Only 24% do know not which country America fought in the American Revolutionary War

More than 50% can not name a single branch of government

More than 50% do not know what is the bill of rights

Roughly 66% do not know what Food and Drug Administration does

Half of Americans do not know how many senators each state has

But the news isn't all bad, there are some signs of hope

Half were able to figure out which came first Judaism or Christianity.

and only 18% believe that the Sun revolves around the earth

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?
Yeah. Most PEOPLE are stupid. The definition of average is a 100 IQ, and that is, by definiton, moronic. It shocks me how dumb most people are. People are ignorant to everything and it's just sad. When I watch Jeopardy I get most of the answers right because I think they're common knowledge...but then I'll watch with "regular" people and they look at me like I know everything even though I feel like the answers I'm giving are things that everyone should know. Just try working in retail or with customers in any way...

Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,909,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
The definition of average is a 100 IQ, and that is, by definiton, moronic.
So average and moronic are the same, by definition?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,620,490 times
My observations and well as interactions with others in this country have led me to believe that the average person is simply not interested in such things as history, government function, law, etc. I think the inability to answer these types of questions is not so much that folks are "stupid" but that they have never taken the time or made the effort to become educated. They may have even sat in classrooms that taught this material, but they were simply disengaged and disinterested.

People are basically focused on getting through the day. Most are not thinking much past the weekend and what they will do once they get off work on Friday. If a piece of info does not pertain to their daily activities, they discard it.

Americans are often just plain lazy about bothering to learn anything that doesn't relate to their current life status. People don't think - oh, man, I can't wait to learn another language so I can speak fluent French! They more likely think - why would I want to waste my time on THAT? lol

I think the majority of Americans do not see education as the class defining element that it really is. Education, and becoming an educated person who can think critically, is the one thing that can raise a person from a lower class status and give them entree into a higher status, both through their career/work and through their interactions with others.

But I don't believe most folks think about life that way.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
My observations and well as interactions with others in this country have led me to believe that the average person is simply not interested in such things as history, government function, law, etc.

Americans are often just plain lazy about bothering to learn anything that doesn't relate to their current life status.

Just because someone isn't interested in something doesn't make them lazy.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,136,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, I'm a physiochemist, which requires at least some intelligence (granted, I don't expect to reach the intellectual heights of the average P&C CD poster), but I could not recite the bill of rights in its entirety nor do I have recall of most of my social studies. OTOH, my father could. I think interests come into play here.
Your job sounds hard. I bet if you had to really sit down and do so you'd get the majority. Probably only missing the ones people rarely deal with.

I bet you sure as heck know what the BoR's are.

Lol

Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM

10,059 posts, read 18,143,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am proud to not know who my elected politicians are or how the constitution works or what the process of impeaching a president is. I don't even vote. Learning about these things and voting are pretty much a waste of time.
Why would you be proud of those things? I find that really bizarre.

The Constitution is an amazing document. I wish all elementary or middle schools required students to study it in depth, as was required in California back in the '70s (as I wrote earlier).

Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,698,586 times
I'm inclined to agree, although not necessarily by the listed examples. I do think most Americans are stupid. Gauging that on overall political knowledge is a bit absurd though, in my opinion. I'm more annoyed by the general populations stupidity in regards to Geography, History, Math, Sociology, and Language. Having so many friends who are school teachers, I'd have to say the problem starts with our education system. The whole "no child left behind" movement is forcing Teachers to pass students who can barely speak English, much less name our first 10 Presidents. School Districts are only concerned with numbers, not the quality of education their systems provide. Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Why would you be proud of those things?
I am proud to know that I didn't waste my time learning things that have practically no value to me. I laugh at people who waste their time voting and learning the constitution because they are supposed to.

I supposed these things are important if you are a history teacher or a lawyer or something were learning those things has a direct benefit.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I wish all elementary or middle schools required students to study it in depth,
Why? What good would it do them?

I'd rather they take an extra PE class or (like I wrote earlier) more computer training.

The only thing more twisted and rewritten than history is religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies