Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Okay, here is ONE reference for all of the internet-challenged. It took me all of 5 seconds to google it.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God."
Nope. That's from an english version where the Greek word 'arsenokoites' was mistranslated in the 1940s.

Arsenokoités and Malakos: Meanings and Consequences | CLGS
Dale B. Martin, Woolsey Professor of Religious Studies at Yale University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm curious if you also support slavery and that the little woman should know her place. Also supported in Romans?

Still doesn't say the word homosexual.

No, it doesnt, it never did and there is a controversy on just what the true translation of those passages is.

But then we can't go againt the "evil Liberals hate God" meme, can we?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's not the King James Version

"9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Looks like it pretty much excludes everyone except you OzzyRules. That's assuming that you've never had sex for the pleasure of it, have no effeminate traits, have never stolen anything, have never envied someone else for having something you wanted, have never gotten drunk, etc.

I have trouble actually believing that you've never extorted anything, though. You seem to want everyone to be on a permanent guilt trip. Shame is a form of emotional extortion.
The word translated as 'effeminate' (malakos) actually meant 'soft'.
When used as a term of moral condemnation, the word still refers to something perceived as "soft": laziness, degeneracy, decadence, lack of courage, or, to sum up all these vices in one ancient category, the feminine. For the ancients, or at least for the men who produced almost all our ancient literature, the connection was commonsensical and natural. Women are weak, fearful, vulnerable, tender.
Arsenokoités and Malakos: Meanings and Consequences | CLGS

The same word is used in another verse in the gospels by Jesus. It makes it clear that it doesn't mean 'effeminate' as we use the word in the 21st century.

"If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine (malakos) clothes? No, those who wear fine (malakos) clothes are in kings' houses.
- Matthew 11:8.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, it doesnt, it never did and there is a controversy on just what the true translation of those passages is.

But then we can't go againt the "evil Liberals hate God" meme, can we?
Pauls translations aren't in doubt. Older translations, I agree, but I'm talking about Paul himself

Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You spelled out 'g-d'? I thought you were Jewish?
1. there is no problem with writing only erasing.
2. most poskiem allow ersaing the word god it's a chumra.
3. many poskiem hold that your allowed to erase even god's name on a computer.
4. now learn what a sfak sfaka is.

please don't try and "prove" I'm not Jewish based on you ignorance it's getting annoying responding to all those claims.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
There is quite a lot of proof in the posts following my last one. Anyone who tries to explain it away is doing just that. People have always tried to change the Bible to reflect society's trends and fads.
Exactly. Which is why conservative translators in the 1940's first incorrectly translated 'arsenokoites' as 'homosexuals'.
Quote:
As far as translations, I purposefully used the most accurate (word for word) translation, the NASB. Which contains sources that were better than the King James translators had access to.
The word 'arsenkoites' is the same word used in all the manuscripts. It just doesn't (and couldn't) mean homosexuals. Anyone who has studied how the word was used outside the bible texts knows this.

No english Bible translation is a 'word for word' translation. That's incredibly naieve.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How so?

The original Hebrew and Greek didn't have any words for homosexuals.

So how did your translators translate into English a word that didn't exist?
There are several Greek words Paul could have used if he meant 'homosexuals'. But Paul didn't use them. Probably because that's not who he was referring to.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You seem to like using lots of deception. It is obvious and plain as day, and you are not fooling anyone.

Do you mind if I ask, what does Jesus Christ mean for you?
I'm not seeing anything of Jesus Christ's teachings in your posts. Jesus also never mentioned homosexuals.

John 13:34-35
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Mark 12:28-31
"The second is this, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Romans 13:8-10
Let, no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet", and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to its neighbor.

Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

1 John 4:18:
Jesus said: "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us.
1 John 4:16-21
God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us.

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I think we should be a little kinder to Ozzy. He sounds pretty messed up.
Perhaps he never felt loved?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
It's amazing how someone can claim to be a Christian yet still be unable to state in his own words what Jesus Christ means to him.
My beliefs have no bearing on this discussion. This isn't the religion forum. You claim to be Christian and yet Matthew 7 shows us that we can't take your word for it.

Quote:
More absurd is that Paul should have reason to reference "temple prostitution" in a New Testament list of general sins like stealing and lying.
Pagan temple worship in Greek and Roman culture was still occurring. It even says so in Romans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies