Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Are you a toxicologist? What kind of first hand experience do you have of drugs which disappear from your system while you are still stoned? Your "you know nothing, I know everything" claim is not very persuasive.
Never said I know "everything," I just happen to have more firsthand experience with this particular topic - seeing as I've been smoking pot for almost two decades, and was also a hard drug addict for a short time (in my late teens). I have also been subjected to regular drug tests, for about a six-month period, so I know personally how long certain things stay in your system. Besides, this is all common knowledge which you could confirm with your Google searching skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, but he is arguing the opposite. He says that you can be stoned long after the substance has disappeared from the body.
Who, me? First of all, I'm a "she" - and second of all, yes there are substances that have lingering effects after it's out of your system. As I said above, I was a hard drug user for a short time... and I still felt the effects (mostly meth) long after it would've shown up in a drug test. Did you know the AFTER-effects of meth & LSD are often worse than the peak effects? Once you start to come down, that is when the really psycho feelings & thoughts kick in! I've never had that happen with pot, though, and don't even get that paranoid feeling of which you speak.

Look, I'm not arguing that pot is 100% without any ill effects... my argument is that other LEGAL substances are just as bad or worse (like alcohol & certain Rx drugs). Also arguing that adults should be free to put whatever they want into their bodies, as long as they aren't directly harming another person. Finally, it does have proven benefits for people with certain conditions. Are you really going to deny cancer patients something that allows them to eat, thus combatting wasting? I've known at least a few who experienced these effects, and it made an enormous difference in their quality of life. It doesn't "cure" anything, but sure does prolong and improve the lives of some chronically ill patients.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-23-2013 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Never said I know "everything," I just happen to have more firsthand experience with this particular topic - seeing as I've been smoking pot for almost two decades, and was also a hard drug addict for a short time (in my late teens). I have also been subjected to regular drug tests, back when I was trying to get a criminal charge off my record, so I know personally how long certain things stay in your system. Besides, this is all common knowledge which you could confirm with your Google searching skills.
Common knowledge? Tell me then: which drugs keep you stoned after all traces of the drug have disappeared from your system?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who, me? First of all, I'm a "she" - and second of all, yes there are substances that have lingering effects after it's out of your system. As I said above, I was a hard drug user for a short time... and I still felt the effects (mostly meth) long after it would've shown up in a drug test. Did you know the AFTER-effects of meth & LSD are often worse than the peak effects? Once you start to come down, that is when the really psycho feelings & thoughts kick in!
Well, there you go. You do not feel the long term effects because you are still stoned, you feel it because the drugs DAMAGED your brain. Pot does the same, and it will manifest in poor memory and difficulty to concentrate.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 PM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The agruments againsts cigs is that it causes lung cancer, emphysema, heart issues, it stinks, etc. Can the exact same things not be said about pot? I've never smoked either, so I don't know, but cigarettes are socially unacceptable, yet pot is socially cool. Why? Thanks
Great post. Isn't it hilarious? The libs embrace pot smoking,yet condemn cigarettes!

It is essentially vilifying "redneck buzz", while promoting a "liberal buzz", both of which have pulmonary and cardiac health issues.

Funny as hell- yet another example of liberal hypocrisy.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well, there you go. You do not feel the long term effects because you are still stoned, you feel it because the drugs DAMAGED your brain. Pot does the same, and it will manifest in poor memory and difficulty to concentrate.
The damage clearly wasn't permanent, or I'd still be in psychosis today... as for pot, I'd hardly call memory & concentration issues "psychosis" to the point you were implying. Did you read that article on the cannibal, and how they found unknown pills & possible evidence of bath salts? You claimed his episodes were all due to pot, but it looks like the experts don't really agree.

Please read the paragraph I just added too, where it says I'm not denying there are potential risks - I am only saying it should be classified like other similar substances (i.e. alcohol and tobacco), and that adults should be free to make those decisions for themselves. Do you eat or do anything that isn't 100% healthy, and if so, do you want the government telling you not to do them? I thought conservatives were all about small government, but apparently that only applies as you see fit.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great post. Isn't it hilarious? The libs embrace pot smoking,yet condemn cigarettes!

It is essentially vilifying "redneck buzz", while promoting a "liberal buzz", both of which have pulmonary and cardiac health issues.

Plenty of liberals smoke cigarettes, including myself and many others on this forum... try again!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Btw, Dale - you never answered my question, regarding what you do for a living. I'm going to keep asking, as I'm determined to get an answer from one of you holier-than-thous! I've asked numerous forum members, and have yet to hear back from any. Hmmm.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Default Whyis smoking cigarettes bad, but smoking pot is good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The agruments againsts cigs is that it causes lung cancer, emphysema, heart issues, it stinks, etc. Can the exact same things not be said about pot? I've never smoked either, so I don't know, but cigarettes are socially unacceptable, yet pot is socially cool. Why? Thanks

Cigarettes kill you and maybe those around you.

Pot?

Ya gotta toke up a couple of times to get it.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 PM

32,091 posts, read 15,089,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

No good comes from smoking cigarettes and the nicotine is highly addictive. Some people go through hell trying to quit. Going through the withdrawal is a nightmare. If you were a smoker and quit then you know what I'm talking about. There are over 4000 chemicals used in cigarettes including acetone and arsenic.
Believe it or not pot is not addictive and does have medicinal purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies